Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Culture in South Florida is a mix of Yankee (northern) White and Caribbean Hispanic, mostly Cuban.
Wrong, only area that's Cuban influenced in South Florida is Miami. And as much as I hear South Florida being so Yankee "influence," it doesn't seem that way in the minds of NY'ers. They still see South Florida as a hot, wet, and flat area with no sidewalks or bodegas. I'd say it's a blend of Southern African American, West Indian, Hispanic, and Yankee.

In South Florida, it depends on who you associate yourself with to get an ideal feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Your family is no standard. They are a minority within a minority in Miami. I don't know any southern black people in Miami, ft, lauderdale, or naples. If you say your family is that is just your own, it's far from the majority in south Florida.
I have met other African AMerican of South FLorida.Here in Atlanta Wanda Smith is a DJ and she is definately not Carribean black ancestry,
Where do you think those people in Overtown otherwise known as "Coloredtown" back in the day hail from?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overto...)#Demographics
Liberty City ?

Luther Cambell or Trina ring a bell?Maybe not but they defined the genre throughout the South called Miami Bass Music which is very much Southern.I think its very interesting how you are downplaying Miamis A.A.community that help build it long before the Cubans,Haitians,Jamaicans and many others came.
I guess its easy to ignore those areas as irrelevant because they are poor but they have been apart of the hstory of Miami since the begining.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM

533 posts, read 822,047 times
Quote:
Culture in South Florida is a mix of Yankee (northern) White and Caribbean Hispanic, mostly Cuban.

South Texas, according to the Texans on this thread, is culturally Mexican.

So, we are debating whether or not a mix of New York/New England and Cuban culture is more or less southern than Mexican culture. That makes this a pretty dumb debate.

I'm personally not so sure about the South Texas is basically Mexico argument though because I've been to Brownsville, and I went on spring break to South Padre Island. I saw a lot of good ol southern boys and didn't see too much Mexican influence. However, if native Texans are claiming that South Texas might as well be Mexico, I suppose we should all defer to their expertise for all intents and purposes whether or not our own experiences told us otherwise.
It was spring break. You saw spring breakers. Brownsville's non-hispanic white population is less than 10%.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ot View Post
wrong, only area that's cuban influenced in south florida is miami. And as much as i hear south florida being so yankee "influence," it doesn't seem that way in the minds of ny'ers. They still see south florida as a hot, wet, and flat area with no sidewalks or bodegas. I'd say it's a blend of southern african american, west indian, hispanic, and yankee.

in south florida, it depends on who you associate yourself with to get an ideal feel.
bingo!!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Your family is no standard. They are a minority within a minority in Miami. I don't know any southern black people in Miami, ft, lauderdale, or naples. If you say your family is that is just your own, it's far from the majority in south Florida.
Also it is true that like the native born whites,native born blacks are leaving in droves.I read that Miami had the highest domestic migration in the U.S,

Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:

So, we are debating whether or not a mix of New York/New England and Cuban culture is more or less southern than Mexican culture. That makes this a pretty dumb debate.
You took the words right out of my brain.

It's almost impossible to say that either place had a real "southern" presence to begin with. South Florida was pretty much transplanted northerners from it's earliest days, along with a black southern construction force. South Texas was a mix of Mexicans along with some early day anglo ranchers and merchants.

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-31-2016 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
If someone from anywhere moved to Florida they would be assimilating to Floridas culture. NOT SOUTHERN.
I have heard hispanic born Georgian and Asian Georgia Born speak with a heavy Southern Accent even though in Atlanta there is largely a kinda neutral AMerican accent that has been neutralized by the amount of transplants.
Anywhere you go you will get this in America

People who move to New York dont begin to sound like Ed Koch.

South FL is the same way.You dont hear people talk with an Latino accent but many of the black Floridians sound very Southern so other black Southerners do assimilate somewhat.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have lived in Houston and am now in Miami. While neither area is particularly "Southern", South Texas is way more "murican" which is a heck of a lot closer to Southern than the South American, Caribbean and Northern cultures that dominate South Florida.
Houston is not considered south Texas.
I lived in South Florida for 9 years and still own a condo in Deerfield Beach. I've spent significant time in South Texas, mainly Laredo and San Antonio. South Florida is the most southern of the two IMHO.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I'm personally not so sure about the South Texas is basically Mexico argument though because I've been to Brownsville, and I went on spring break to South Padre Island. I saw a lot of good ol southern boys and didn't see too much Mexican influence. However, if native Texans are claiming that South Texas might as well be Mexico, I suppose we should all defer to their expertise for all intents and purposes whether or not our own experiences told us otherwise.
Yes if you ignore the trditional black culture of South Florida

Old 05-31-2016, 04:52 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I have met other African AMerican of South FLorida.Here in Atlanta Wanda Smith is a DJ and she is definately not Carribean black ancestry,
Where do you think those people in Overtown otherwise known as "Coloredtown" back in the day hail from?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overto...)#Demographics
Liberty City ?

Luther Cambell or Trina ring a bell?Maybe not but they defined the genre throughout the South called Miami Bass Music which is very much Southern.I think its very interesting how you are downplaying Miamis A.A.community that help build it long before the Cubans,Haitians,Jamaicans and many others came.
I guess its easy to ignore those areas as irrelevant because they are poor but they have been apart of the hstory of Miami since the begining.
Yep. And plenty of other areas throughout South Florida. There are 1.3 million Blacks in South Florida and he thinks the majority of them are Caribbean. Hilarious. Most Blacks in South Florida accept that Miami and Florida is in the South. Many Hispanics assimilated in many Black areas have also accepted that they are in the South. It is unique and different but it's still Southern at least to the people I know in South Florida which is numerous.

BTW, in that link, pay attention to this tidbit:

Quote:
Owing to a substantive black population, 168 of the 362 men who voted for the creation of the city of Miami were counted as "colored," but the separate but equal segregation laws of the Deep South dictated the city designate the portion of the city, in this case, north and west of FEC railroad tracks, as "Colored Town."
Or how about this:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e29945307.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City