Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:04 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Most of that white population I bet is probably because of San Antonio and to a lesser extent Corpus Christi. Outside of these two cities, the rest of South Texas is heavily Hispanic that has very little in common with the rest of the state and especially the rest of the South.
I thought the comparison was all of South Florida and all of South Texas. Not all of South Florida compared to certain parts of South Texas. When looking at the regions as a whole--which is what the OP requires--Whites make up a larger share in South Texas than Blacks do in South Florida.

Quote:
As far as the Black population of South Florida, no I disagree with you. Black American population is still very large in South Florida and the influence is still notable as well. I went to school down there and they spoke with Southern accents there and my cousins spoke with it as well. The culture is far closer to Blacks in the rest of the South than it is anywhere else. Now they have assimilated with others from the Islands and I do admit that is not seen in other parts of the South. That is different from South Texas where you have many communities that are 95-100% Mexican communities and many of them being first generation Americans and they have not assimilated with whites from Texas let alone America as a whole.
I think you missed my point. I said that the native-born Black population in South Florida is smaller than the White population in South Texas. So the "southern" influence would be smaller than it is in South Texas. That would be the case even if we were to assume that 90% of all Blacks in South Florida had been imbued knee deep in Southern culture (which is not true). It's a matter of numbers.

And while anecdote can be a nice supplement to data, it is not a substitute for it. The data shows that Caribbean immigrants in South Florida have the least exposure to American Blacks and the most residential segregation of any Black immigrant community. Pictures from an HBCU campuses and tall tales are all well and good, but at some point people need to start backing up what they're saying with substantive studies. It's sort of akin to saying most White guys in Michigan are like Eminem based off what I saw in 8 Mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Never thought about people saying Miami wasn't Southern until I came to city-data lol. Friend and family would probably say the same thing if they visited this site.
A lot of people say Miami isn't Southern. Just like a lot of people say Washington, DC isn't Southern. You may not agree with either assertion, but I don't know where you can live or who you can hang around where you'll never even hear the suggestion. It's not like Miami is some open and shut case of Southerness. It has one of the largest Jewish populations in the entire world, a large and diverse Hispanic community, and a boatload of Caribbean immigrants. While there's certainly a Southerness to the Black American population there, it's not like it's impossible to live in or even visit Miami and come away with a sense that there's not much Southerness there at all.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I thought the comparison was all of South Florida and all of South Texas. Not all of South Florida compared to certain parts of South Texas. When looking at the regions as a whole--which is what the OP requires--Whites make up a larger share in South Texas than Blacks do in South Florida.
Because sometimes San Antonio is referred to as South Texas and other times as the Southern portion of Central Texas.

Quote:
I think you missed my point. I said that the native-born Black population in South Florida is smaller than the White population in South Texas. So the "southern" influence would be smaller than it is in South Texas. That would be the case even if we were to assume that 90% of all Blacks in South Florida had been imbued knee deep in Southern culture (which is not true). It's a matter of numbers.

And while anecdote can be a nice supplement to data, it is not a substitute for it. The data shows that Caribbean immigrants in South Florida have the least exposure to American Blacks and the most residential segregation of any Black immigrant community. Pictures from an HBCU campuses and tall tales are all well and good, but at some point people need to start backing up what they're saying with substantive studies. It's sort of akin to saying most White guys in Michigan are like Eminem based off what I saw in 8 Mile.
I didn't miss your point. I just disagreed with you trying to make the population as un-southern as you perceive and nothing you can honestly say supersedes my experience or my accurate facts regarding what I lived through in South Florida. We've been through this before. Not willing to go back and forth with you on it again.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of people say Miami isn't Southern.
Yeah and a lot of people say Miami is Southern and it is an open and shut case with me.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I didn't miss your point. I just disagreed with you trying to make the population as un-southern as you perceive and nothing you can honestly say supersedes my experience or my accurate facts regarding what I lived through in South Florida. We've been through this before. Not willing to go back and forth with you on it again.
Well, data tends to have that affect on people. Donald Trump saw 10,000 Arabs rejoicing on the streets of Jersey City on 9/11. It doesn't matter that there's nothing he can identify to corroborate that claim. He knows what he saw and that's that.

I just find it interesting because Miami West Indians are some of the most ethno-centric immigrants. And the data clearly shows that they are highly segregated from American-born Blacks. But I can't disprove anecdotes and pictures so oh well.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:49 PM

288 posts, read 433,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Of course I can. It's my opinion. You are free to disagree.
You are. Doesn't mean the South itself is voiid of variations or diversity. Appalachia isnt like the Gulf Coast. Which in turn isnt like the Ozarks or Coastal Carolianas.

Eaat Texas is just another one of those regions; piney woods, bayous, swamps & deep creole roots from Lousiana.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Part of the problem here is the relative unfamiliarity people have with South Texas as opposed to South Florida. People are at least somewhat familiar with Miami, it's in the news and popular culture. South Texas? You might as well be talking about Northern Alaska, most people (including posters here) have no idea what goes on anywhere south of San Antonio. I imagine a lot of people are assuming that South Texas is similar to Central Texas, which is far from the truth.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah and a lot of people say Miami is Southern and it is an open and shut case with me.
Then DC should equally be an open and shut case because a lot of people say that city is Southern too. In fact, a recent Harris poll showed that 38% of Maryland residents believe their state is Southern.

The problem with C-D at times is that people tend to be heavy on anecdote and light on data. It's one thing to use personal experience to add context to something, but most people here use personal experience as the sole metric for any discussion. It's as if they don't realize there are millions of other people who may have a completely different experience.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Part of the problem here is the relative unfamiliarity people have with South Texas as opposed to South Florida. People are at least somewhat familiar with Miami, it's in the news and popular culture. South Texas? You might as well be talking about Northern Alaska, most people (including posters here) have no idea what goes on anywhere south of San Antonio. I imagine a lot of people are assuming that South Texas is similar to Central Texas, which is far from the truth.
Here's the question I suppose: Are White people in South Texas (25.2% of the population) less characteristically Southern than Black people in South Florida (21.0% of the population). And I ask that because it seems as if this whole discussion is turning on the Black population of South Florida. The White population in South Texas and the Black population in South Florida are presumably where the Southerness of these respective places derives from.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Exactly. The majority of South Texas has very little in common with what people know of as Texas. It has more in common with the Trans-Pecos area than it does with Central, Southeast, East, and North Texas. If it has little in common with the majority of Texas, how exactly does it have more in common with the rest of the South than it does with South Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City