Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Ah, but when you combine migration from other Southern states, they are still the biggest senders to Georiga.

Do you know how to read the graph?

New York is a bigger sender than Alabama, but when you combine Alabama, the carolinas, Tennessee, etc, it far outnumbers the number of New Yorkers and even all Northeast migrants. Only 8% of Georgia's transplants are from the Northeast, where as 11% are from other Southern states (14% if you include Florida as Southern). Most of the migrants from the northeast are African Americans with southern backgrounds anyway so Atlanta's southern culture is quite safe.

This information is based off of census tracking for the past century.
In the last century Atlanta was over 70% African American Now is around 52%.The infor mation in that graph is from the 2000 Census.The link I gave you was from the 2010 census.
Its 2016 and we are discussing who are in these cities TODAY .A period over "the past century" is irrelevant
I gave you the breakdown by region straight from the Atlanta Regional Commission as a source you dont have to recognize it but it not a good look on you at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
In the last century Atlanta was over 70% African American Now is around 52%.The infor mation in that graph is from the 2000 Census.The link I gave you was from the 2010 census.
Its 2016 and we are discussing who are in these cities TODAY .A period over "the past century" is irrelevant
I gave you the breakdown by region straight from the Atlanta Regional Commission as a source you dont have to recognize it but it not a good look on you at all.
My link isn't from the 2000 census, it is from the 2010 census, and it fact, it was most recently updated with 2014 information from the American FactFinder database (a US census affiliate).

TODAY!! A plurality of Atlanta's transplants are from the South, and TODAY most of Atlanta's transplants are African american. While the city of Atlanta has declined in African American percentage, its suburbs have skyrocketed in AA percentage, particularly Henry, Clayton, Cobb, and Gwinnett counties. The metro increased significantly last decade in AA percentage, boosting it's Southern character.

I'm not speaking about Atlanta anymore as it is off topic. You have been shown enough. Here is a the American Factfinder database from the Census Bureau. You can find lots of demographic information from that database.

American FactFinder - Results

Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
With all due respect ? Miami was founded by Yankees in the 1890's so it never was a "Southern" city to begin with.
Please show me where "Northern" transplants "repopulated MIAMI!

You have to be joking thinking that Most large cities of the South today have some noticeable outside cultural influences on the local variation of southern. Miami and South Florida are no different here...

The city was founded by Northerners!
Please show us a "comparable" cultural" city in the South like Miami?...There isn't any.
What can't be said about Miaimi but can be said about New Orleans is that it's among the group of cities with traditionally heterogeneous non-Hispanic white populations.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:
My link isn't from the 2000 census, it is from the 2010 census, and it fact, it was most recently updated with 2014 information from the American FactFinder database (a US census affiliate).

TODAY!! A plurality of Atlanta's transplants are from the South, and TODAY most of Atlanta's transplants are African american. While the city of Atlanta has declined in African American percentage, its suburbs have skyrocketed in AA percentage, particularly Henry, Clayton, Cobb, and Gwinnett counties. The metro increased significantly last decade in AA percentage, boosting it's Southern character.

I'm not speaking about Atlanta anymore as it is off topic. You have been shown enough. Here is a the American Factfinder database from the Census Bureau. You can find lots of demographic information from that database.

American FactFinder - Results
Nothing in your link.Atlanta metro is around 34% African American.There is no distinction in that number of those are of African,Caribbean American born decent. Atlanta has a very wide array of blacks much like Miami has Latins/Hispanic.
Many of them from South Florda.I know this first hand as I have friends from Haito,Jamaica,Bahamas,or they are decedents from those places that moved from the South FLorida Miami area.

This actually ties into your earlier mostly statement about "blacks not like other blacks from the islands and vice versa"
This has never been an issue with those in most places in the U.S. accept Miami where you have large groups segregated "traditionally" by their own neighborhoods which creates a "us against them mentality".
In the Atlanta metro its not organized that way as these immigrants did not come in waves from each of their home counies so there is no bias or preconceived prejudices.
No Litte Haiti but there are areas like Stone Mountain that has some of every island represented alonng with A.A.,Indians,whites and every body else.
Georgia Attracts S. Florida Blacks - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

We have 28 counties that make up metro Atlanta.Every county you mentions has experienced "skyrocketing" growth in every group accept whites.Hispanic are and have been the fastest growing group in the metro Atlanta area then Asians.

Atlanta Metro 2000-2010
White Only-12.8%
Black Only-43.6%
Asian Only-86.7%
Hispanic Only-103%

Source:http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...son_singer.pdf

Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
It's hands down South Texas. South Florida still has a strong Southern presence in the African American community which is non existent in South Texas. And this is coming from someone who has been to both places.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Your assertion that Blacks in the North are still Southern is a bit off base. That's more true of the older generation, less true of middle-aged Black folks, and has little to do with Black millenials and Gen X'ers. Furthermore, African and Caribbean immigrants--of which Atlanta gets its fair share--are all categorized as Black by the Census.

But this is off-topic anyway, Atlanta has nothing to do with the discussion.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0MEGA View Post
South Florida: Includes the area from around Lake Okeechobee, and southwards. Cities include Sarasota, West Palm Beach, and Miami.
Sarasota is not part of South FL. Wtf..

Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Sarasota is not part of South FL. Wtf..
Is it not? I don't know where to classify it. Sarasota reminds me a lot of Naples and Ft. Myers though. some people lump it with Tampa but I never agreed with that.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your assertion that Blacks in the North are still Southern is a bit off base. That's more true of the older generation, less true of middle-aged Black folks, and has little to do with Black millenials and Gen X'ers. Furthermore, African and Caribbean immigrants--of which Atlanta gets its fair share--are all categorized as Black by the Census.

But this is off-topic anyway, Atlanta has nothing to do with the discussion.
Im not off base at all.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Im not off base at all.
Are you Black? If you are, are you a native of a Southern state (and yes, Florida is a Southern state) with family up North or out West?

And yes, African and Caribbean immigrants are categorized as Black by the Census.

So yeah....pretty off-base. Call any Black person 40 and under that was born and raised outside of the South "Southern" and see just how off-base you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City