Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think saying that you don't live in the DC region is completely accurate--because that's a term for the strictly DC metropolitan area. The same with DMV--that's a reference to the Washington metropolitan area and not the combined statistical area that would include Baltimore.

As of this moment, there is no real catchy phrase for this larger DC/Baltimore region though the commuter numbers do put it statistically as one region under the criteria for combined statistical area. I'm curious as to what term is going to become a common shorthand for the greater region of DC and Baltimore as the two grow more enmeshed into each other. Any suggestions?
That's for outsiders to decide. We don't say the Baltimore-washington area here. We don't say DMV, we don't mention DC much around these parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's for outsiders to decide. We don't say the Baltimore-washington area here. We don't say DMV, we don't mention DC much around these parts.
That's fine, so just let us decide and keep to yourself?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Baltimore-Washington DC

Baltimore-DC

Balt-DC

Balt-C

Bal-C

Ballsy
Haha, we might have a winner here...

And DBMV could also work, in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
DMV is not the correct for Baltimore on a technical level, true, but it's easier to type out so I opted for it.
DMV means DC metro...using it to describe Baltimore is wrong on any level...we are not as cohesive a CSA as the other 2 in this poll...it is what it is

Old 06-21-2016, 11:15 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
DMV means DC metro...using it to describe Baltimore is wrong on any level...we are not as cohesive a CSA as the other 2 in this poll...it is what it is
You mean THE other CSA. Chicago doesn't really have one. They didn't add another MSA to the Chicago MSA, they extended it to add another 200k people.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
That's fine, so just let us decide and keep to yourself?
No, if it sounds bad, I'll let you know. Be creative.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Chicago, DC, San Francisco. Today, and for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes, however in DC-Baltimore the bulk of influence, population, and GDP performance is concentrated in about a core of 8 or 9 counties + DC and Baltimore proper, that makes up somewhere between 7000 and 8000 sq mi total. Which is smaller than MSA's like Houston or Dallas MSA's. The extra maybe 700 or 800,000 in population comes from those far reaches of the exurbs in WV and PA and Southern MD or Eastern Shore that are really only just regionally close.

DC's MSA is 6.1 million in 5,500 sq mi, Houston is 6.6 million in over 10,000 sq mi.
Yeah but that is of course due to the difference in size of counties. Texas counties are large. You can go down to 5000 square miles for Houston and it'll still be above 6M.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Philadelphia and I think Boston had more counties so their figures are underestimated.
This is not correct.

Greater Boston CSA in 2013 has the largest and most expansive definition in its entire history. In the 2003 redefinition the Greater Boston CSA gained a few counties in New Hampshire and Worcester. In the 2013 redefinitions, Greater Boston CSA gained a county in Connecticut and it also gained Barnstable County, which is the Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket areas.

Greater Boston CSA has never lost a single county in any census redefinition. Don't know much about Philadelphia, as it is not a city I keep tabs on personally speaking, but I'm pretty sure the additions of Atlantic City and that second county in Delaware mark expansions and improvements in the area's definition in 2013 as compared to 2003. Also keep in mind, an area like Allentown was never in Philadelphia's CSA to begin with, ever. So New York getting that isn't really Philadelphia losing anything if it never officially had it to begin with.

I don't know. You'll have to ask a Philadelphian about their city. I don't know much about it. I will, however, speak on Greater Boston CSA, no, it never lost any counties or territory in any census redefinitions, ever. It has done the contrary to that, it has added areas in each and every single census redefinition.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
This is not correct.

Greater Boston CSA in 2013 has the largest and most expansive definition in its entire history. In the 2003 redefinition the Greater Boston CSA gained a few counties in New Hampshire and Worcester. In the 2013 redefinitions, Greater Boston CSA gained a county in Connecticut and it also gained Barnstable County, which is the Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket areas.

Greater Boston CSA has never lost a single county in any census redefinition. Don't know much about Philadelphia, as it is not a city I keep tabs on personally speaking, but I'm pretty sure the additions of Atlantic City and that second county in Delaware mark expansions and improvements in the area's definition in 2013 as compared to 2003. Also keep in mind, an area like Allentown was never in Philadelphia's CSA to begin with, ever. So New York getting that isn't really Philadelphia losing anything if it never officially had it to begin with.

I don't know. You'll have to ask a Philadelphian about their city. I don't know much about it. I will, however, speak on Greater Boston CSA, no, it never lost any counties or territory in any census redefinitions, ever. It has done the contrary to that, it has added areas in each and every single census redefinition.
Yea, I don't think Allentown was ever in Philadelphia's CSA either, though it is in Philadelphia's media market and "sphere of influence" (see Lehigh Valley Cheesesteaks). NYC being NYC draws more commuters for sure, but the Lehigh Valley, being in PA, is really an afterthought to the "Tri-State" media. Perhaps this will change in the future.

Philadelphia did gain Kent County (Dover, DE) though, and Atlantic City, so you're right there.

And as an aside, given your insightful and well analyzed posts, I'm surprised you haven't really experienced Philly yet, as it seems it could be up your alley (apologies if you have). Yea, there's a lot of rough edges still, but I think it might be more cosmopolitan and "there" than most people realize. Definitely a palpable feeling of excitement and progress in the region, between the Pope, CITC, the DNC, and all of the gentrification going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City