Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
More strawman BS. Funny that you never prove your points by using census data; you just make broad claims with no source of facts and tell everyone else that only the census counts...

Regardless, the discussion was as follows:

1. You claimed that Mercer was never part of the Philadelphia CSA. It was part of the Philadelphia MSA until the 2000 census removed it from the Philly MSA. Are MSAs not included in CSAs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenton,_New_Jersey

2. You then stated that population was more concentrated along the northern border of Mercer. Wrong again. The highest population centers and largest population exists along the southern border? Here, City Data has the map with CENSUS 2010: https://www.city-data.com/county/Mercer_County-NJ.html

No one said anything about conspiracies, so enough of that. And don't quote the census unless you find something under the census data that proves otherwise.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 03:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
So if Mercer was a Philly county prior to 2000, then why am I the only one that thinks it is kinda incorrect to use Mercer in the NY column when looking at past populations.

Am I the only one that thinks that backdating CSAs using current definitions kinda deceptive?

Not all counties in present CSAs belonged to these CSAs back in the day.

Might as well have just focused the thread on present day and leave it at that because only truthful comparison would be to look up how that metro was defined in the past and then look up the population of each constituent county.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So if Mercer was a Philly county prior to 2000, then why am I the only one that thinks it is kinda incorrect to use Mercer in the NY column when looking at past populations.

Am I the only one that thinks that backdating CSAs using current definitions kinda deceptive?

Not all counties in present CSAs belonged to these CSAs back in the day.

Might as well have just focused the thread on present day and leave it at that because only truthful comparison would be to look up how that metro was defined in the past and then look up the population of each constituent county.
I think it's a rare scenario (Mercer). It nearly backs right up to the city of Philadelphia (at least not far...12 miles?), which is small in city limits compared to many of the newer sun belt cities. So, it's surprising to drive from Philly to Trenton and realize you're no longer in the Philadelphia metro. Regardless, I think past populations have to be counted as defined at the time. Otherwise, we'd have to assume that Southwark and Northern Liberties were not part of Philadelphia city proper.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
The Bureau of the Census does not always follow its rules where they may involve Federal employees. Mercer County, NJ, had historically been included in what had been known as the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Trenton, PA-NJ-DE-MD CMSA, because the commuting patterns are as strong between Mercer County and Philadelphia as they are between it and New York (historical trivia: Princeton University is located in the county precisely because it is halfway between the two cities) AND most of the major metropolitan media that cover Trenton are located in Philadelphia, not NYC (the Philadelphia TV stations maintain Trenton bureaus but not the New York TV stations, for instance); Trenton was moved from one to the other not because of any major shift in commuting patterns but because the cost of living adjustment for Federal employees is higher for the New York CMSA than for the Philadelphia CMSA.

Since then NYC county commuters (not driven by commuters into Manhattan) have increased with central Jersey business centers growing and the Philly Jobs moving further west in the burbs. At the time Federal Employees got a bump in pay by moving from the Philly are to the NYC one for wage adjustment and met the criteria to attach to both.

Today people sort of head all directions, actually a growing segment commutes from Bucks County PA and Burlington County NJ into Mercer more then the opposite as their job centers grow along 95 and route 1

The thing is regardless of designation the jobs and access remain, its not like you leave Philly oir enter NYC crossing the county borders

even the fanbase is split the southern portion of Mercer would be Phillies and Eagles in majority with the norther sections being more Yankees and Giants fans

its really not an either or and is an example of where two very large metros have grown together where they meet on many aspects

I spent two to three days a week in Mercer county for work. I can tell my commute from Center City is way better than those I know coming from NYC, by a large margin. In rush hour today I made it from Plainsboro to Center City in about 55 minutes

always fun the week of an Eagles Giants game as where is basically split down the middle (and a few Jets fans for good measure)

Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
I'm sorry what was this thread about again guys?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:27 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Good grief. Talk about hijacking a thread.

And NO. Trenton still doesnt meet the current criteria to combine with Philadelphia.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

And NO. Trenton still doesnt meet the current criteria to combine with Philadelphia.
I have no idea what they are smoking.

Mercer County is a tiny nothing county, and barely has any commuting to Philly. In fact other NYC CSA counties have a higher share of Philly-area commuting than Mercer, but for some reason a few forumers are zombie-like fixated on Mercer.

It's completely meaningless in the big picture. It would make no difference whatsoever to Philly or any other random major metro.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

You did a great job at getting it back on track.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have no idea what they are smoking.

Mercer County is a tiny nothing county, and barely has any commuting to Philly. In fact other NYC CSA counties have a higher share of Philly-area commuting than Mercer, but for some reason a few forumers are zombie-like fixated on Mercer.

It's completely meaningless in the big picture. It would make no difference whatsoever to Philly or any other random major metro.
You've done a great job at moving the goalpost. Now, because you've contributed nothing to support your claims from before, it's a meaningless fixation. Maybe we should just move on from this topic and get back to the thread as others have pointed out?

Last edited by AJNEOA; 06-29-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Can't we all just agree that NOLA is wrong and the subject has wandered off-topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City