Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter to me. Looks as though all of them are interchangeable depending on how you slice and dice it. All three along with NYC are my favorite cities in the country! What an awesome trio.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-08-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago and SF are both well represented here:
In regards to DC, one thing to keep in mind is that DC anchors one end of the Northeast Corridor. As can be seen from the graph, a lot of flights to/from are to/from NYC and 3/4 of passenger traffic between NYC and DC is actually via rail because the trains run pretty quickly through there (and there is a lot of DC/NYC traffic) and get you from center to center so what might have been a very popular flight path is instead a train route.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-08-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Also some drive, take a cheap bus; it's short enough many don't fly. San Francisco to Los Angeles is just long enough that it's a pain to drive. Boston to DC is similar but doesn't have the volume. Hmm, Los Angeles to Las Vegas makes the list, maybe the lack of train is repsonsible?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also some drive, take a cheap bus; it's short enough many don't fly. San Francisco to Los Angeles is just long enough that it's a pain to drive. Boston to DC is similar but doesn't have the volume. Hmm, Los Angeles to Las Vegas makes the list, maybe the lack of train is repsonsible?
Boston to DC isn't similar because Boston is well on the other end of the northeast corridor and the path, until they straighten it out, on the stretch from Boston to NYC is crowded, subject to slow corridors and prone to delays. The DC to NYC route is well trafficked and very fast in comparison to its alternatives.

Are the stats two way? Because the drive from SF to LA is worth it as you are going to want to prefer having a car if you went thataway.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
This was a very tough one. I should note, my rankings are separated by hair thin margins. I have it as the Bay Area, DC-Bmore, Chicagoland. While Chi-town has the population the Bay Area has the GDP and TPI above the other two. There probably could be a case for DC-Bmore above the Bay Area due to the seat of government but the difference between the is almost a nanometer. Personally I'd take DC-Bmore but the numbers don't lie and the Bay Area has it.

Of other interesting note, the Bay Area has thre primary cities of SFC, Oakland, and SJ. Then there's two primary cities of DC and Bmore. Then Chicago is the city. This is not always the case but in this comparison the most multi-nodal CSA seems to come out on top. Of course there are other factors to look at but I just wanted to point this out.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:28 PM

41 posts, read 50,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Boston to DC isn't similar because Boston is well on the other end of the northeast corridor and the path, until they straighten it out, on the stretch from Boston to NYC is crowded, subject to slow corridors and prone to delays. The DC to NYC route is well trafficked and very fast in comparison to its alternatives.

Are the stats two way? Because the drive from SF to LA is worth it as you are going to want to prefer having a car if you went thataway.
Madness. Unless you happen to be some sort of a road trip junkie, the drive from SF to LA is in no way worth it. It's all the hassles that you would expect from long drives.

The only thing positive I can think for opting to drive instead of jumping on flight is saving on the cost of airfare. But make no mistake, that really would be one of the better examples of paying for what you get.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalvoLLorne View Post
Madness. Unless you happen to be some sort of a road trip junkie, the drive from SF to LA is in no way worth it. It's all the hassles that you would expect from long drives.

The only thing positive I can think for opting to drive instead of jumping on flight is saving on the cost of airfare. But make no mistake, that really would be one of the better examples of paying for what you get.
I've made the drive several times from the South Bay to LA. Gonna have to wonder how bad you reckon this actually is?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:41 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've made the drive several times from the South Bay to LA. Gonna have to wonder how bad you reckon this actually is?
I dont know anyone that makes the roadtrip between SF to LA In the 3 yrs I lived in SF, I think I recall one person that chose to drive but only because he was stopping somewhere in the middle. Everyone I knew flew between the two cities.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM

62 posts, read 69,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I dont know anyone that makes the roadtrip between SF to LA In the 3 yrs I lived in SF, I think I recall one person that chose to drive but only because he was stopping somewhere in the middle. Everyone I knew flew between the two cities.
Yeah, that's a weird argument. Most people fly from SF to LA. People that choose to drive usually does so as a hobby trip of sort.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
All three, as well as Toronto and its surrounding environs will be megacities either way.

That is like a different breed, different species of cities altogether. A higher and more complex class of cities. So with that in mind, I don't think we would see the top 5 cities change for at least another three decades at the minimum. It is more likely that we see shifts and movements internally within the top 5 more than anything else.

Somewhere not in the top 5 today would have to emphatically surpass one or more of the top 5 at a decent number of critical aspects to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City