Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most agreeable ordering
#3 Chicago, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 54 23.79%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 Chicago, and #5 the San Francisco Bay Area 14 6.17%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Chicago, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 22 9.69%
#3 Chicago, # the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Washington DC-Baltimore 73 32.16%
#3 Washington DC-Baltimore, #4 the San Francisco Bay Area, and #5 Chicago 21 9.25%
#3 the San Francisco Bay Area, #4 Washington DC-Baltimore, and #5 Chicago 43 18.94%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope.

Ive already had this discussion ad nauseum with the Philly people. Trenton became part of the NY CSA because it met the commuting criteria.
Good info. I wonder why it was originally part of the Philly MSA then. Unless it wasn't just about commuting at the time that it was placed as being part of Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Plenty of people will say this. In fact most people will say this.

If I'm from the Bay Area, and traveling abroad, I'm very likely to say I'm from the SF area. If I'm from Stamford, CT, and traveling abroad, I'm very likely to say I'm from the NYC area.

Baltimore, probably no, but that's because people have generally heard of Baltimore. But if people are still clueless, the Baltimore resident will probably say "near DC".
DC and Bmore don't have the relationship you are saying they have...Bmore is an extremely well defined MSA in its own right...Baltimore people are not saying they are from DC area and vice versa....folks from the overlapping suburbs would just say Maryland...this is a unique CSA that we have over here...its a preview of what will be an even worse situation some years from now when NYC and Philly finally join

As for the OP, Chicago then the Bay then DMV-Bmore...we are not cohesive enough as a CSA yet to compete with the Bay and Chicago is just in the beginning stages of its relative decline

Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Chicago:

Washington DC-Baltimore:

the San Francisco Bay Area:

Old 06-15-2016, 12:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
Still culturally Philadelphia regardless.

NYC would blow any American city not LA out of the water if it were closer to them just the same. NYC metro economy is 4x as large as Philly so you should expect it to be a major draw from there.
It is ahead of Los Angeles by quite a bit too, economically speaking. Lets just call it like it is.

When you can add Los Angeles and Chicago together as metropolitan economies and New York is still larger than that, I'd say that it speaks for itself with regard to how large the gap is, in my opinion.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-15-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 12:55 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
DC and Bmore don't have the relationship you are saying they have...Bmore is an extremely well defined MSA in its own right...Baltimore people are not saying they are from DC area and vice versa....folks from the overlapping suburbs would just say Maryland...this is a unique CSA that we have over here...its a preview of what will be an even worse situation some years from now when NYC and Philly finally join

As for the OP, Chicago then the Bay then DMV-Bmore...we are not cohesive enough as a CSA yet to compete with the Bay and Chicago is just in the beginning stages of its relative decline
Based on what? Illinois' GDP has grown robustly over the last year. In fact, it's growth was beaten only by three other states. Illinois' has financial problems, but so do many other places in the U.S. Even with the impending tax hikes, Illinois is still more affordable than the coasts. Things are by no means perfect in Illinois, but they aren't in decline. Not sure why so many are pushing this narrative.

Can there be a rule where all posts making dramatic claims are required to post all their sources? 18Montclair is what we should all strive to be.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Based on what? Illinois' GDP has grown robustly over the last year. In fact, it's growth was beaten only by three other states. Illinois' has financial problems, but so do many other places in the U.S. Even with the impending tax hikes, Illinois is still more affordable than the coasts. Things are by no means perfect in Illinois, but they aren't in decline. Not sure why so many are pushing this narrative.

Can there be a rule where all posts making dramatic claims are required to post all their sources? 18Montclair is what we should all strive to be.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Lol, what can I say? The man consistently provides us with sources!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times
Quote:

Population loss
Relatively slow growth compared to the other big CSAs
You seem put out by the word decline...its actually funny because I ranked Chicago ahead of the Bay and DC-Baltimore...at any rate, let me rephrase...DC-Baltimore and the Bay Area CSAs are growing faster but have not yet eclipsed the much slower growing Chicago CSA so I cannot rank them above Chicagoland just yet...better?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Lol, what can I say? The man consistently provides us with sources!
Yea, I'll give him/you that. His arguments, as absurdly focused on specific measures of prosperity/the Bay as they can be (or have been--haven't really seen that side from him much anymore), are always well sourced and linked. Better than a lot of "dramatic claims" posters who don't back up their talk with anything, just argumentative circles that are not as open-and-shut as they would want you to believe.

Anyways, I think a lot of this talk about core city and CSA cohesion is valid, as that is Chicago's unquestionable advantage over the other two. For all the talk of varying degrees of cohesion in the Bay and Balt-Wash, they're still spreading the love around more than Chicago is. I think "concentration" of power, which is where a lot of the MSA/CSA/Urban Area debate lies, is just as an important a consideration as population, TPI, and GDP. Intensity beats extensity, and there's a lot to be said for being without competition in your own metro.

3. Chicago
4. DC
5. San Francisco

For now...

Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Population loss
Relatively slow growth compared to the other big CSAs
You seem put out by the word decline...its actually funny because I ranked Chicago ahead of the Bay and DC-Baltimore...at any rate, let me rephrase...DC-Baltimore and the Bay Area CSAs are growing faster but have not yet eclipsed the much slower growing Chicago CSA so I cannot rank them above Chicagoland just yet...better?
Better? Yes. I don't fully agree with you, but neither of us has a crystal ball. IL has barely got over the 0% mark for population growth a couple of times now (and has even seen population loss) only to add over 1 million the following decade. I think we'll likely hold at #3, but dropping to #4 isn't impossible, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City