Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:19 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times

Advertisements

Glad to see there is a minimal number of votes for Atlanta (which is not really an East Coast city, to be precise). It helps that the population is very mobile and the vast majority of the metro area has varying proportions of black, white, and other residents all in close proximity. Compared to the other places in this poll, people of all backgrounds tend to live in lower density, more affordable environments which also reduces the potential for tension. This is not a utopia but nor are the other listed cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:58 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Glad to see there is a minimal number of votes for Atlanta (which is not really an East Coast city, to be precise). It helps that the population is very mobile and the vast majority of the metro area has varying proportions of black, white, and other residents all in close proximity. Compared to the other places in this poll, people of all backgrounds tend to live in lower density, more affordable environments which also reduces the potential for tension. This is not a utopia but nor are the other listed cities.
Exactly! Atlanta is no more an "East Coast city" than is Rochester, Albany, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Charlotte or Tallahassee. Not sure where this notion came from, anyway.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism. LAs black community has been brutalized by the police for decades, and reached a boiling point. The busing riots were closer to a lynching; racist vigilantes attached minorities.

I lived in New York in the 90s, and I remember New York's racial tension. I remember Crown Heights and Bensonhurst. I felt about is comfortable in Southie in 2011 as I would have in Bensonhurst of the 90s. Boston is what, 26% black? Does Boston even have a black radio station? It didn't when I left.
It has 2 98.1 and 97.7 as well as semi black stations 94.5 and 96.9

Also the black population in coty proper is higher as a percentage than NY or LA.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Exactly! Atlanta is no more an "East Coast city" than is Rochester, Albany, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Charlotte or Tallahassee. Not sure where this notion came from, anyway.
I think it comes from the fact that they are east coast cities.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Or that most are in states that are on the east coast.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:30 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It has 2 98.1 and 97.7 as well as semi black stations 94.5 and 96.9

Also the black population in city proper is higher as a percentage than NY or LA.
i listen to big-city 88.5 and b87.7 whose morning shows are dope and important to the west-indian culture. there also was vibe 105.3 but i think the fcc shut them down.
also radio concorde 1580 which is haitian-kreyòl talk/news/music/culture.

this certainty that boston has no black culture is comical and only slightly annoying.

i think 94.5 though is a radio-1 affiliate is owned by puerto-ricans. maybe 15 years ago, ramiro and pebbles morning show was moved to n.y.c and they started the breakfast club.

i mentioned this on other threads, maybe the perception of boston not having a large black population is that west-indians, cap-verdians, afro-brazillians, afro-dominicans, ... arent considered truely black ? but if that were the case, miami would also be seen as lacking black culture.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 10-07-2018 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: added bit about wjam'n 94.5

Old 10-07-2018, 09:11 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I doubt NYC has the most racial tension

I've visited Weeksville which I think dates back to the 1700s, that was pretty cool
There was also Seneca Village, where Central Park sits today and Sandy Ground on Staten Island.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:32 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
They aren't, but they are cities in states located along the eastern seaboard. It's not really accurate to call them east coast cities, but it's not really the hugest stretch to call them such either.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I doubt NYC has the most racial tension

I've visited Weeksville which I think dates back to the 1700s, that was pretty cool
Being diverse doesn't mean the same as "Little Racial" tension. It has been proven the Most Racially diverse cities, tend to have the highest amounts of racial segregation and yes racial tensions.

Manhattan has some very racist elites on the island, more overt less in your-face. Staten Island, Suffolk County Long Island = TRUMP COUNTRY in NY. Borough Hall, Brooklyn those hasidic jews are very ummm "territorial" to say the least. Riverdale, Bronx, will give UES Snobbs a serious run for their money. Queens, NY = still very segregated, but may be the least racist part of NYC, because Queens is an all around (except what LIC is developing into) Working Class borough regardless of race. When you're in Queens everyone feels like their on the same level playing field. Even the Burbish areas out in the Northern Blvd corridor feels more like Working class burbs, not "Money" burbs.

People need to stop with this BULL that oh the more diverse a city's make-up the less racism there must be, no it can be quit the opposite.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Being diverse doesn't mean the same as "Little Racial" tension. It has been proven the Most Racially diverse cities, tend to have the highest amounts of racial segregation and yes racial tensions.
Has it? Honestly that may be more of a Northern thing. Cities like Houston and Sacramento are quite diverse yet I don't think there are high levels of racial segregation and racial tension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City