Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism. LAs black community has been brutalized by the police for decades, and reached a boiling point. The busing riots were closer to a lynching; racist vigilantes attached minorities.

I lived in New York in the 90s, and I remember New York's racial tension. I remember Crown Heights and Bensonhurst. I felt about is comfortable in Southie in 2011 as I would have in Bensonhurst of the 90s. Boston is what, 26% black? Does Boston even have a black radio station? It didn't when I left.
Boston doesn't have an African American radio station because many of the black people in Boston are Haitian or from other places in the Caribbean.
Also Southie is weird, they hate literally everyone
Four Arraigned in Subway Beatings « Suffolk County District Attorney's Office
4 Southie people beat up a quite white person because they moved to Southie
Teen on bail for South Boston stomping charged with new violent attack in South Boston | Universal Hub
Doesn't specify race, but I'm sure it would if they were black.
A letter to South Boston - Caught In Southie
etc.
They literally fight transit improvements to keep people out of their neighborhood
So while race did enhance the Bussing Crisis in Southie (really the only place there was serious issues), it was more complicated than that.

Last edited by btownboss4; 06-21-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:59 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To the last question, yes: HOT 96.9 Boston - Today's Hottest Music and All The Best Throwbacks

Boston Praise Radio

Hot 106.3 | WWKX-FM (actually in RI)

WILD 1090 used to be the traditional Black radio station, but is now an Asian station.
It's about time. When I was there, WJMN was the closest thing to black radio, but most of the on-air talent wasn't black, and they played artists like Katy Perry and Mike Posner along with the hip-hop and R&B

Old 06-21-2016, 04:51 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism. LAs black community has been brutalized by the police for decades, and reached a boiling point. The busing riots were closer to a lynching; racist vigilantes attached minorities.

I lived in New York in the 90s, and I remember New York's racial tension. I remember Crown Heights and Bensonhurst. I felt about is comfortable in Southie in 2011 as I would have in Bensonhurst of the 90s. Boston is what, 26% black? Does Boston even have a black radio station? It didn't when I left.
just so you are aware, bostons black percentage is similar to new york city (neither is overwhelmingly black). not sure when you left but boston has 3 black owned radio stations (1 of which is a pirate soca station so i dont think it technically counts; also 1090 am wild shut down a few years ago so i didnt count that). not sure if nyc has a black owned radio station (hot-97 is owned by clear channel, iirc (i assume has black management)); the clear channel syndicate in boston is 94.5 which is noticibly corny-er but i beleive has hispanic management). this is tangentially relevant since it goes into control of the local media.
Quote:
It's about time. When I was there, WJMN was the closest thing to black radio, but most of the on-air talent wasn't black, and they played artists like Katy Perry and Mike Posner along with the hip-hop and R&B
i think your limiting black radio with just rap and hip-hop. there are a few soca/calypso/compas stations in the boston area.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
Just checked a list of metro areas and cities with largest population of AA's and Boston is nowhere near it's contemporaries (NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, LA, SF, etc.)

Boston is diverse, but it's NOT very black whatsoever. Some people are turned off by that. For such a liberal and progressive place, there is surprisingly an air of subtle racism that is rooted in the region that makes it more exclusive and unwelcoming to AA's. Im not suggesting NO black people like, love or live in Boston and I know plenty who love their sports teams, but in comparison with the others, the difference is stark.

There isn't even a traditionally black neighborhood like a Harlem, South Side, Compton, where a lot of AA history and notable figures come from within the entire AA community.
Boston is blacker than LA or SF, and it had a semi-famous black community; Roxbury. However, I agree that Roxbury lacks the cultural cachet and political power that Harlem and the South Side have. Boston has a decent black population, but not much of a black voice.

Within the black community, we have stereotypes about black peoples from different cities. Black people from NY, Philly, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, LA and the Bay all have an identity. I can't say that for Boston, and I'm a black man who lived there.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A huge chunk of the NYPD lives outsides of NYC limits
Is this accurate? Most police forces in the country have a residency requirement, and could've swore the NYPD is no different...

Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Is this accurate? Most police forces in the country have a residency requirement, and could've swore the NYPD is no different...
It probably is accurate. You don't have to live in the city-only a surrounding county (Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam, Nassau, or Suffolk county), and all the Cops in the NYPD I know live on Long Island.

I don't think it makes sense personally but I guess the COL in NYC can be prohibitive for New York Cops (starting salary for Philly Cops-where there is a city residency requirement- has always been higher than NYPD for example). I think more Cops should live in even the neighborhood they are assigned.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Boston is blacker than LA or SF, and it had a semi-famous black community; Roxbury. However, I agree that Roxbury lacks the cultural cachet and political power that Harlem and the South Side have. Boston has a decent black population, but not much of a black voice.

Within the black community, we have stereotypes about black peoples from different cities. Black people from NY, Philly, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, LA and the Bay all have an identity. I can't say that for Boston, and I'm a black man who lived there.
I think much of this is historic. Boston has a huge White democratic base, and never had an African American Community larger than about 25%., DC, Chicago, Atlanta, etc all peaked around of above 40%. In those places of the country Black People are the Democratic party, thus Black People have a more distinct voice.
While in Boston, Democratic voting was based of religion, Catholics were Democrats and Protestants were Republicans. The Massachusetts Democratic machine stayed intact through party realignment, while most states fractured. Massachusetts was one of the few states Obama won the white vote. With the majority of BOTH statewide parties being White, black people do get underrepresented.
However, Massachusetts has had both a Black Governor and 2 Black Senators (though only 1 elected, 1 appointed).

Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think much of this is historic. Boston has a huge White democratic base, and never had an African American Community larger than about 25%., DC, Chicago, Atlanta, etc all peaked around of above 40%. In those places of the country Black People are the Democratic party, thus Black People have a more distinct voice.
While in Boston, Democratic voting was based of religion, Catholics were Democrats and Protestants were Republicans. The Massachusetts Democratic machine stayed intact through party realignment, while most states fractured. Massachusetts was one of the few states Obama won the white vote. With the majority of BOTH statewide parties being White, black people do get underrepresented.
However, Massachusetts has had both a Black Governor and 2 Black Senators (though only 1 elected, 1 appointed).
Boston did have a Black middle class on Beacon Hill well over a century and does a recognizable Black history. Crispus Attucks was from Framingham and look up Paul Cuffe. Farrakhan and Malcolm X had/have ties to the area. Don't forget New Edition, Donna Summer, Pat Ewing(grew up partially Cambridge where his HS Basketball coach was Mike Jarvis) and others.

Randolph and Brockton are currently about 43 and 39% Black. They 1 and 2 in the state of MA in Black percentage. Both are near each other south of Boston. Boston is 3rd and Springfield at about 22% is 4th. Boston suburbs in the top 10 are: Everett(17% and 6th), Milton(14% and 8th), Malden(13.2% and 9th) and Lynn(12.5% and 10th).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Love boston, but it is.
How can you objectively say that?

Boston hasn't had an incident of blatant institutional racism since 1989 when the Charles Stuart scandal happened. And even in that case, no black Bostonians were killed, injured, or falsely imprisoned, which is more than can be said for racially-based atrocities that have happened since 1989 in cities like LA, NYC, Ferguson, Baltimore, and Charleston!

Quote:
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism.
How can you possibly have one without the other?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Boston did have a Black middle class on Beacon Hill well over a century and does a recognizable Black history. Crispus Attucks was from Framingham and look up Paul Cuffe. Farrakhan and Malcolm X had/have ties to the area. Don't forget New Edition, Donna Summer, Pat Ewing(grew up partially Cambridge where his HS Basketball coach was Mike Jarvis) and others.
And while not hugely notable in the grand scheme of things, you also have this historical tidbit:

WHEN MARTIN MET CORETTA - The Boston Globe

Also, the United House of Prayer for All People was founded by "Sweet Daddy" Grace in the Boston area.

Grace, Charles Manuel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City