Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't know if n-word usage is a good indicator to go by. The n-word is largely (though not wholly) used today, NATIONWIDE, as a slang form of "bro" or "man", without malicious content, by Americans of all races. Particularly by Americans of the Millennial Era onwards--but in New York State and City, I saw and heard whites of older generations use it in the same context...

In 50 years the n-word will be so common that it wI'll hardly be remembered for its ugly origin. That map you used isn't a particularly good indicator of racist places, although I'd assume it has some brevity...

@btown, you might be right...

@ckhthankgod, you may be right, too, but as you mentioned, Buffalo within the last half-decade has had a couple noteworthy issued to substantiate that reputation...
I kind of have to disagree with you that the n-word will simply be part of our common vernacular in 50 years (and I sure as hell hope not). There's still a very rigorous debate over who "owns" the word and gets to use it--even within the Black community--and it simply cannot be divorced from America's very ugly racist past. But I do agree that the study that was cited probably didn't differentiate between the different uses of the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There actually is somewhat usable statistical data about this.

For example, maps like this have been made:

At least overtly, Boston and DC seem to be the least overtly racist East Coast metros, and Philadelphia and Providence the most.
Does it factor in the intent or context of the searches as well? I've seen articles on this in the past.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
There isn't a difference besides pronunciation. The intent is the only difference. If I pronounce "yellow" as "yeller", , or more commonly as "yella" in certain parts of the nation, I'm still referring to the same color...

Not to start a class on the n-word, though...
These are google searches though, which means the pronunciation is typed out. Of course, some people could misspell one as another. But the use of the "a" ending in hip-hop, for example, has been going on what - 30 years now? You'd have to have your head in a cave not to know the difference, and I'm saying that as a white man.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I kind of have to disagree with you that the n-word will simply be part of our common vernacular in 50 years (and I sure as hell hope not). There's still a very rigorous debate over who "owns" the word and gets to use it--even within the Black community--and it simply cannot be divorced from America's very ugly racist past. But I do agree that the study that was cited probably didn't differentiate between the different uses of the term.
Well, I hope not, either. But my latest reason in believing so:

A month ago a friend and I were playing ball at a court in Colonial Heights, VA. We were the only adults there; on one court was three young black boys, a young white boy, and two white girls, all 13-15 years old. One of the black boys had just broken up with one of the white girls, and they were bickering something fierce (the language and antics were common for that age). What wasn't common was the white girls' use of the word "*****", quite frequently...

And I grew up in this area, and I'm only 27, and I'm black, so I have a very reliable point of reference to draw from. Just 12 or so years ago, when I was 15, not that it was "unheard of" for my age range, but it was such a rarity, it was an attention grabber if the like happened a dozen years ago. We were the only adults on the court, but there was a few joggers and a mom pushing a stroller around. Not that privately it didn't bother the other adults (these teens were LOUD, as teens are), but what was more jarring was the acceptance of the usage by the black boys, especially within a public setting...

My friend and I had a word with the kids before leaving the court, which is how I learned their ages...

Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
These are google searches though, which means the pronunciation is typed out. Of course, some people could misspell one as another. But the use of the "a" ending in hip-hop, for example, has been going on what - 30 years now? You'd have to have your head in a cave not to know the difference, and I'm saying that as a white man.
Well as a black man, I'm telling you I regard no difference. The "a" pronunciation is no different than how other words are pronunciation differently in different regions, but hold the same meaning...

The intent is the only difference I recognize. And I've heard it intended with malice but pronounced with an "a" in the rural Southeast, while I've had two separate conversations with white women 20+ years my senior in New York State, who didn't mean it maliciously, but neither of which could figure out how to use it without the "er"....

The only difference is the intent. I know that my opinion is not indicative of the entire black community, but my experiences forged this thought...

Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
I still wouldn't say it proves much. Black people also may look up racist things to see what the "other side" is speaking on and often (fruitlessly) to debate or engage racists. The internet is a wild place and not always indicative of reality LOL.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I still wouldn't say it proves much. Black people also may look up racist things to see what the "other side" is speaking on and often (fruitlessly) to debate or engage racists. The internet is a wild place and not always indicative of reality LOL.
True enough. But note that many of the dark red areas don't really have that many black people. I'm pretty sure most of the people in Appalachia googling it are racists.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
True enough. But note that many of the dark red areas don't really have that many black people. I'm pretty sure most of the people in Appalachia googling it are racists.
True-that's what I was looking at too. And the Upper Peninsula of MI.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM

233 posts, read 368,829 times
While this vote is based on extremely limited personal experience and what amounts to ancient history, modern statistics indicate that Baltimore is not the number 1 city nor is Boston number 2.

Forbes Welcome

Map: America's most racist places, according to Google | Sun Times National

Portland, Oregon Deemed "Most Racist" City In The United States | National Report

The Worst Cities for Black Americans - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
A recent article, I can't find it now that states how the Philadelphia suburbs are the most racially segregated in the country, based on income and ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City