Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
As a white person I thought white people were complaining about racism in Miami because they weren't used to it...so in turn I thought that many of my white friends were just crying wolf or being overly sensitive/making it up. My cousin took a position in Miami and said the exact same thing all of my friends at university said about the city. Apparently the city really has an us vs. them mentality. I also have an African American friend from Miami gardens and BOY does she ever have some words to say about Haitians lol. Although the strange thing is I only hear about this in Miami...apparently Fort Lauderdale doesn't have this problem...maybe this is because FTL is mainly non-hispanic white and African American(and granted there aren't as many cubans in FTL).

I for sure wasn't used to it, never experienced it in Toronto or Montreal nor witnessed it to the extent that i did in Miami. I mean obviously racism exists everywhere but in Miami it was us vs. them, people of same backgrounds talking smack, etc.. I remember when i first moved there i was automatically lumped into the all white people are the same category, meaning i'm racist, its my way or nothing else etc... at least some got to know me and stopped that judgement but it still happens often unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Yeah Miami has some rough racial tension, good call on that one...I agree with the poster that said the worst depends on what time you are checking...I picked DC and NYC because in addition to the regular tensions there is massive gentrification going on in both cities and there is a serious undercurrent of us vs them...NYC has a ton of racial issues that don't make the national media....no city has undergone as much of a transformation as DC has over the last 20 years (and yes, I know there are Black gentrifiers) and there is major resentment on both sides

Whoever mentioned West Indian - AA issues is 20 to 30 years late and even in its heyday that was never a major racial issue at the level of other racial/ ethnic tensions

Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Boston is notorious for racial disharmony. Buffalo is, too...

New York's multiculturalism somewhat hides some of its intolerance between races...

Really, the East Coast is full of areas with notable racial tensions. As a native of Metro Washington (Northern Virginia), however, I don't think it has so much racial issues as some other cities out here, particularly Baltimore, Buffalo, and Boston...

The large Southeast cities, on the whole, are much more tolerant than the large Northeast cities. Not as culturally diverse, mind you, but not as racially divisive. My experience, and I've been everywhere on East Coast besides Florida, Mass, NH, Vermont, and Maine...
Boston has been as good as any city since the 70's, it's just the legend keeps living. Many cities have had race riots since the 70's look at the black vs. brown gang wars in LA, isn't that racial intolerance?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
I think Boston's racial history and classist appearance keep that alive.

It's one of the whitest metro areas and there's massive wealth disparity.

https://hailtoyou.wordpress.com/2012...-of-whiteness/

Do other races do as well in Boston income wise than other cities?
Pages 7 and 8 in this thread has some info that shows areas of the Boston metro that are diverse and may be viewed as being within the range of "middle class": https://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-boston-7.html

Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Boston has been as good as any city since the 70's, it's just the legend keeps living. Many cities have had race riots since the 70's look at the black vs. brown gang wars in LA, isn't that racial intolerance?
Boston is the only city America where I've been called a n*gger to my face.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
The poll would look different if it was done on April 26, 2015.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Boston is the only city America where I've been called a n*.. to my face.
Honestly don't believe that. Good racism is secret. Somebody just yelled N------ really? I assume you're a tourist so you're not in Mattapan, so you're in the Back Bay and somebody dropped an N bomb. I don't believe it.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Honestly don't believe that. Good racism is secret. Somebody just yelled N------ really? I assume you're a tourist so you're not in Mattapan, so you're in the Back Bay and somebody dropped an N bomb. I don't believe it.
The italicized part is a Bill Burr joke

Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
It was either my second of third year living in Boston, and it was in a nice neighborhood...the one I lived in, The South End. I was walking home from the SoWa Market. I don't have any reason to lie to you people.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Whatever the reason is, I've noticed that African Americans who live in Baltimore have a lot of resentment in them.

This is particularly true when you compare it to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City