Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Boston did have a Black middle class on Beacon Hill well over a century and does a recognizable Black history. Crispus Attucks was from Framingham and look up Paul Cuffe. Farrakhan and Malcolm X had/have ties to the area. Don't forget New Edition, Donna Summer, Pat Ewing(grew up partially Cambridge where his HS Basketball coach was Mike Jarvis) and others.

Randolph and Brockton are currently about 43 and 39% Black. They 1 and 2 in the state of MA in Black percentage. Both are near each other south of Boston. Boston is 3rd and Springfield at about 22% is 4th. Boston suburbs in the top 10 are: Everett(17% and 6th), Milton(14% and 8th), Malden(13.2% and 9th) and Lynn(12.5% and 10th).
School info for both of these places: Home - Randolph Public Schools
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...=1&CS=25F90AFD

Brockton Public
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...=9&CS=5453D04E

So, if you want something that is highly or predominately Black in MA, these two appear to be the obvious choice. It will be a diverse Black population as well.

Also, a lot of the Hispanics in the Boston area tend to be of the African diaspora, as many are Puerto Rican or Dominican.

School info for the other Boston area communities mentioned above: Everett Public Schools – Everett Schools are Everett's Pride
Everett High School Class of 2016 Graduation (Photo Gallery 1) – Everett Public Schools
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...34&CS=B0C1BA8E

Milton Public Schools
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...13&CS=13AF4476

Home - Malden Public Schools
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...13&CS=7606E96D

Lynn School Department Home
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...14&CS=A9D86659

Here's Cambridge as well: Home - Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...40&CS=966F7C4B

Here's Avon, which is in between Randolph and Brockton: Avon
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...11&CS=6D38DF9C

None of these are METCO schools either. METCO is a Boston metro area program where some Black and Hispanic Boston city kids can go to participating suburban schools. I believe that Lexington is one of them and there are some others. So, it is just a matter of where to look in the Boston metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:28 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
my experience with boston is that there were a few bigoted incidents i've experienced. it was probably the most red-lined (which is actual institutionalized/systematic/government exercised racism) city in the 70's/80's and still remains in the top-ten (comparatively chicago, new york city, miami probably have worse racist policies; e.g. stop-and-frisk, ...).

i dont think racism is the most prevalent thing in boston. i would assume that people think about the red sox, universities, smart-fones, ... more so these days. also i would think that other cities have somewhat more prevailing racial discriminatory practices than boston these days.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:52 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
The premise of this thread allows for personal experience and word of mouth (hearsay), so why are so many offended that Boston continually pops up? No one in here has a right to attack anyone else's personal experience...

Moreover, on the point of hearsay, Boston is widely regarded as one of the more racist cities in the nation. Maybe that's not first or second name association, but it's an association I've found is commonly recognized with Boston...

Does that mean it has worse racial disharmony than other cities on the Coast? No, but Boston has the reputation as one of the worst. That doesn't negate that there is a considerable black history there (even if less so than other cities), it doesn't negative that there hasn't been race riots there in years, and it doesn't negate that there are minorities happy there and that it has a black middle class. Some of you guys are thick headed and don't seem to realize how to separate unrelated topics of discussion...

Boston is notorious for racial disharmony, specifically against blacks. That reputation exists for a reason, and I hardly doubt Boston is so far ahead of other cities in racial unity just because there hasn't been a race riot in 40 years...

Again, though, the East Coast is rampant with large cities with racial tensions. By experience, I'd say I haven't witnessed overt racism in any large city, but that after/along with Boston, Buffalo and Baltimore immediately come to mind next, followed by New York...

Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The premise of this thread allows for personal experience and word of mouth (hearsay), so why are so many offended that Boston continually pops up? No one in here has a right to attack anyone else's personal experience...

Moreover, on the point of hearsay, Boston is widely regarded as one of the more racist cities in the nation. Maybe that's not first or second name association, but it's an association I've found is commonly recognized with Boston...

Does that mean it has worse racial disharmony than other cities on the Coast? No, but Boston has the reputation as one of the worst. That doesn't negate that there is a considerable black history there (even if less so than other cities), it doesn't negative that there hasn't been race riots there in years, and it doesn't negate that there are minorities happy there and that it has a black middle class. Some of you guys are thick headed and don't seem to realize how to separate unrelated topics of discussion...

Boston is notorious for racial disharmony, specifically against blacks. That reputation exists for a reason, and I hardly doubt Boston is so far ahead of other cities in racial unity just because there hasn't been a race riot in 40 years...

Again, though, the East Coast is rampant with large cities with racial tensions. By experience, I'd say I haven't witnessed overt racism in any large city, but that after/along with Boston, Buffalo and Baltimore immediately come to mind next, followed by New York...
Perhaps that's the issue? Reputation and Reality don't line up?
When people say New York is a dangerous city, New Yorkers quickly say that was true in the 70s, but no so anymore.
40 years is a long time, things change.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
There actually is somewhat usable statistical data about this.

For example, maps like this have been made:

At least overtly, Boston and DC seem to be the least overtly racist East Coast metros, and Philadelphia and Providence the most.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 AM

9 posts, read 7,706 times
Thank you, I1995. Hey "Buckeye," if you are going to give an assessment, let it be one that is True. People are depending upon you to give an HONEST assessment.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:21 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Perhaps that's the issue? Reputation and Reality don't line up?
When people say New York is a dangerous city, New Yorkers quickly say that was true in the 70s, but no so anymore.
40 years is a long time, things change.
I think this plays a part.

With Buffalo, I can't think of anything major that has occurred since the riots in the 60's, but you have had incidents in areas of South/SE Buffalo(inc. Kaisertown and Lovejoy) not too long ago, which is similar to what South Boston is/was. Kenmore was at one time was tough about "city" residents coming into that suburban area, but now you have Black residents in the Kenmore/Tonawanda area and have for a while. So, things do change, but reputations may stick in spite of the changes.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:41 AM

I don't know if n-word usage is a good indicator to go by. The n-word is largely (though not wholly) used today, NATIONWIDE, as a slang form of "bro" or "man", without malicious content, by Americans of all races. Particularly by Americans of the Millennial Era onwards--but in New York State and City, I saw and heard whites of older generations use it in the same context...

In 50 years the n-word will be so common that it wI'll hardly be remembered for its ugly origin. That map you used isn't a particularly good indicator of racist places, although I'd assume it has some brevity...

@btown, you might be right...

@ckhthankgod, you may be right, too, but as you mentioned, Buffalo within the last half-decade has had a couple noteworthy issued to substantiate that reputation...

Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^I don't know if n-word usage is a good indicator to go by. The n-word is largely (though not wholly) used today, NATIONWIDE, as a slang form of "bro" or "man", without malicious content, by Americans of all races. Particularly by Americans of the Millennial Era onwards--but in New York State and City, I saw and heard whites of older generations use it in the same context...

In 50 years the n-word will be so common that it wI'll hardly be remembered for its ugly origin. That map you used isn't a particularly good indicator of racist places, although I'd assume it has some brevity...
There's a difference between ending it with an "a" and an "er" dude. Google doesn't autocorrect one to another, from what I know either.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a difference between ending it with an "a" and an "er" dude. Google doesn't autocorrect one to another, from what I know either.
There isn't a difference besides pronunciation. The intent is the only difference. If I pronounce "yellow" as "yeller", , or more commonly as "yella" in certain parts of the nation, I'm still referring to the same color...

Not to start a class on the n-word, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City