Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
Boston 34 19.77%
NYC 6 3.49%
Philadelphia 12 6.98%
Baltimore 93 54.07%
Washington DC 8 4.65%
Atlanta 4 2.33%
Miami 12 6.98%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Honestly don't believe that. Good racism is secret. Somebody just yelled N------ really? I assume you're a tourist so you're not in Mattapan, so you're in the Back Bay and somebody dropped an N bomb. I don't believe it.
I had a coworker who grew up in the South (and had lived in Chicago and SF) who told me the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Oh, of course. A black man was literally choked to death by a white police officer two years ago on the streets of New York City, but Boston is the one with the more severe racial problems.

Suuuuure.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM

431 posts, read 521,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Oh, of course. A black man was literally choked to death by a white police officer two years ago on the streets of New York City, but Boston is the one with the more severe racial problems.[/b]

Suuuuure.
Love boston, but it is.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Boston has been as good as any city since the 70's, it's just the legend keeps living. Many cities have had race riots since the 70's look at the black vs. brown gang wars in LA, isn't that racial intolerance?
List of Cities (incompete) that have had Race Riots since 1975 (Boston Bussing Crisis)
Houston
Miami (twice)
New York
Los Angeles (52 died, so thats kind of a big deal)
Chicago
Seattle
Atlanta
Oakland (twice)
San Francisco
Tampa
Cincinnati
Cleveland
St Louis
Baltimore
However, Boston is super racist, and these cities are not.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Boston is the only city America where I've been called a n*gger to my face.
You're full of ****

Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
List of Cities (incompete) that have had Race Riots since 1975 (Boston Bussing Crisis)
Houston
Miami (twice)
New York
Los Angeles (52 died, so thats kind of a big deal)
Chicago
Seattle
Atlanta
Oakland (twice)
San Francisco
Tampa
Cincinnati
Cleveland
St Louis
Baltimore
However, Boston is super racist, and these cities are not.
Do not conflate lack of explosive racially tinged conflicts with lack of racial tension. Most of these have been reactions to police brutality. Boston's was white citizens attacking minorities. Big difference.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:09 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Do not conflate lack of explosive racially tinged conflicts with lack of racial tension. Most of these have been reactions to police brutality. Boston's was white citizens attacking minorities. Big difference.
Riots aren't about one person being shot.
You're a fool if you believe that.
Riots happen only if there is underlying Racial Tension. Believe it or not there has been cases of Police Brutality in Boston since 1975 but the African American community doesn't end up rioting because there is less tension.
Los Angeles is a great example. There is a ton of racial tension in that city still.
There is several orders of magnitude between the LA riots and the Bussing Crisis, even if the triggers were different the causes are the same

Old 06-21-2016, 03:22 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Riots aren't about one person being shot.
You're a fool if you believe that.
Riots happen only if there is underlying Racial Tension. Believe it or not there has been cases of Police Brutality in Boston since 1975 but the African American community doesn't end up rioting because there is less tension.
Los Angeles is a great example. There is a ton of racial tension in that city still.
There is several orders of magnitude between the LA riots and the Bussing Crisis, even if the triggers were different the causes are the same.
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism. LAs black community has been brutalized by the police for decades, and reached a boiling point. The busing riots were closer to a lynching; racist vigilantes attached minorities.

I lived in New York in the 90s, and I remember New York's racial tension. I remember Crown Heights and Bensonhurst. I felt about is comfortable in Southie in 2011 as I would have in Bensonhurst of the 90s. Boston is what, 26% black? Does Boston even have a black radio station? It didn't when I left.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Oh, of course. A black man was literally choked to death by a white police officer two years ago on the streets of New York City, but Boston is the one with the more severe racial problems.

Suuuuure.
A huge chunk of the NYPD lives outsides of NYC limits

Old 06-21-2016, 03:34 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Again, you're conflating institutional racism with a culture of racism. LAs black community has been brutalized by the police for decades, and reached a boiling point. The busing riots were closer to a lynching; racist vigilantes attached minorities.

I lived in New York in the 90s, and I remember New York's racial tension. I remember Crown Heights and Bensonhurst. I felt about is comfortable in Southie in 2011 as I would have in Bensonhurst of the 90s. Boston is what, 26% black? Does Boston even have a black radio station? It didn't when I left.
To the last question, yes: HOT 96.9 Boston - Today's Hottest Music and All The Best Throwbacks

Boston Praise Radio

Hot 106.3 | WWKX-FM (actually in RI)

WILD 1090 used to be the traditional Black radio station, but is now an Asian station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City