Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:38 PM

403 posts, read 667,580 times

Advertisements

Which would you prefer to live in? I originally thought that Seattle was ridiculously expensive, but seeing how expensive Silicon Valley is made me change my mind on that since it seems to be roughly twice as expensive. It's actually possible to find an apartment that goes for less than $1,000/month in the Seattle area (especially if you head into like Tacoma, Everett, Lynnwood or Kent) with it being impossible anywhere to find anything like that in Silicon Valley. Anyhow, my vote would go to Seattle since I love the downtown scene there and the restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 AM

719 posts, read 988,565 times
I find Seattle to be incredibly boring as far as cities themselves are concerned, albeit one that is surrounded by some of the most spectacular natural scenery in the lower 48. Also, have you been to Everett, Lynnwood or Kent? They aren't exactly garden spots.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I find Seattle to be incredibly boring as far as cities themselves are concerned, albeit one that is surrounded by some of the most spectacular natural scenery in the lower 48. Also, have you been to Everett, Lynnwood or Kent? They aren't exactly garden spots.
What a perverse comment. Seattle is far more interesting than San Jose. The price that my in-laws' house fetched in Santa Clara was absurd for what it was. And the Seattle suburbs that you cherry-picked certainly don't comprise the entire metro.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 PM

403 posts, read 667,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What a perverse comment. Seattle is far more interesting than San Jose. The price that my in-laws' house fetched in Santa Clara was absurd for what it was. And the Seattle suburbs that you cherry-picked certainly don't comprise the entire metro.
I hate Sunnyvale, California, but I don't hate San Jose as much as I believe that it's overrated. Sunnyvale has absolutely NOTHING to do, and there's nothing redeeming about that wretched area. Why are people willing to pay $3,000+/month to live there?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,930,549 times
San Jose! It has the strongest tech scene and a real downtown.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,930,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It' s the other way around. San Jose is more interesting than Seattle since San Jose is the Capital of high tech of the world.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:19 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I hate Sunnyvale, California, but I don't hate San Jose as much as I believe that it's overrated. Sunnyvale has absolutely NOTHING to do, and there's nothing redeeming about that wretched area. Why are people willing to pay $3,000+/month to live there?
Well, Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Yahoo, Google, Intuitive Surgical, Juniper Networks, LinkedIn, Northrup Grumman etc are all major employers with thousands of great jobs. Lots of people like that.

Sunnyvale is also a safe city with good schools and proximity to lots of amenities.

Lots of people like those things too.

LOL

Old 07-28-2016, 06:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
If it's purely about the southern half of the San Francisco area, Seattle wins by excitement or any number of measures. But a person in the Valley actually has access to the big city too. San Francisco is more intensely urban with the amenities to match. But Seattle is more reasonably priced and in my opinion has a better climate and setting.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,334,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Yahoo, Google, Intuitive Surgical, Juniper Networks, LinkedIn, Northrup Grumman etc are all major employers with thousands of great jobs. Lots of people like that.

Sunnyvale is also a safe city with good schools and proximity to lots of amenities.

Lots of people like those things too.

LOL
Working for Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman in a corporate office park doesnt mean you live in a exciting city, there are tons of corporate office parks and strip malls and defense contractors and alot of wealth where I lived for most of my youth around DC and Virginia and MAryland and they weren't fun or interesting places to live and grow up. Great income and good schools for sure but not much of an urban environment or exciting urban life. Taking a train to DC or San francisco is fine but its alot more of a hassle for a night out or weekend than most people think

Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Working for Lockheed Martin or Northrop Grumman in a corporate office park doesnt mean you live in a exciting city, there are tons of corporate office parks and strip malls and defense contractors and alot of wealth where I lived for most of my youth around DC and Virginia and MAryland and they weren't fun or interesting places to live and grow up. Great income and good schools for sure but not much of an urban environment or exciting urban life. Taking a train to DC or San francisco is fine but its alot more of a hassle for a night out or weekend than most people think
Okay but most people choose suburban living because they dont want to live in 'exciting urban environments', right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City