Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
I understand that DC and Oakland are being gentrified and aren't as bad as they used to be. But Nashville having a higher number of net homicides and a higher rate is something that has never happened before. There is something happening and I don't know what it is, but it doesn't make much sense to me. D.C. And Oakland are so bad they are known for being bad nationally. No one thinks of Nashville as bad. And in fact, Nashville has gone through a lot of gentrification itself.
DC has fortunately seen a renaissance unlike any seen in its history. We are only at 57 murders with close to 700,000 people in DC. The city is booming and the positives of redevelopment like lower violence and prosperity are helping to keep people alive that would have been killed in the old DC. DC's violent crime rate is in free fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
I understand that DC and Oakland are being gentrified and aren't as bad as they used to be. But Nashville having a higher number of net homicides and a higher rate is something that has never happened before. There is something happening and I don't know what it is, but it doesn't make much sense to me. D.C. And Oakland are so bad they are known for being bad nationally. No one thinks of Nashville as bad. And in fact, Nashville has gone through a lot of gentrification itself.
I know Nashville's homicide rate for the MSA isn't as low as many think. Nashville has never been safe safe. Tennessee itself has a lot of violent crime.

DC is very well educated and affluent so it doesn't fall inline with cities that have a lot of jurisdictional poverty like St Louis. I don't know where the MSA for DMV is rated as far as safety.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-07-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:31 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know Nashville's homicide rate for the MSA isn't as low as many think. Nashville has never been safe safe. Tennessee itself has a lot of violent crime.

DC is very well educated and effluent so it doesn't fall inline with cities that have a lot of jurisdictional poverty like St Louis. I don't know where the MSA for DMV is rated as far as safety.
D.C to Boston is very well educated and affluent Amtrak Northeast regional

Old 07-08-2017, 04:52 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has fortunately seen a renaissance unlike any seen in its history. We are only at 57 murders with close to 700,000 people in DC. The city is booming and the positives of redevelopment like lower violence and prosperity are helping to keep people alive that would have been killed in the old DC. DC's violent crime rate is in free fall.
Are you in DC bro? Because out of topic but I am considering Dc for moving in but am concern about the crime (i have a kid). I spent 1 week in DC back in 2012 and loved the architecture and was in a safe zone (kinda, was not far from rock creek park tennis center)

Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 PM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Im surprised Des Moines hasn't had some crazy shootouts and a stack of bodies the way a few posters on here act lol
Lol..

Unfortunately, Omaha recorded its 15th homicide of 2017. A man gunned down inside an apartment complex last night..

Peace...

Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Are you in DC bro? Because out of topic but I am considering Dc for moving in but am concern about the crime (i have a kid). I spent 1 week in DC back in 2012 and loved the architecture and was in a safe zone (kinda, was not far from rock creek park tennis center)
Yeah, I live in DC. Crime in the city has been in freefall for years. Crime isn't really something of concern, but affordability is. What is your budget and housing requirements?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yeah, I live in DC. Crime in the city has been in freefall for years. Crime isn't really something of concern, but affordability is. What is your budget and housing requirements?
my budget is about 3000-3500 a month

Old 07-09-2017, 02:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Pittsburgh (city limits only) is now at 29.

That's 9.6/100,000 residents, now.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Is there a higher concern over rate or actual tally? I understand both and yet seems people are quicker to gasp. A higher chance doesn't equate to higher tallies sometimes.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
my budget is about 3000-3500 a month
That budget will get you a nice apartment anywhere in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City