Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is DC more similar to?
Philadelphia 63 70.00%
Atlanta 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM

718 posts, read 492,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's not much like Philly in those regards either. However, it is growing like Atlanta, and most southern cities right now. The South is really on fire right now.
This makes no sense at All. D.C. has waaay more in common with Philly and the Northeastern cities than Atlanta in terms of Density, built environment, cultural institutions, transportation, etc.. Atlanta has more in common with cities like Houston,Dallas,Charlotte, etc...In all of these categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
This makes no sense at All. D.C. has waaay more in common with Philly and the Northeastern cities than Atlanta in terms of Density, built environment, cultural institutions, transportation, etc.. Atlanta has more in common with cities like Houston,Dallas,Charlotte, etc...In all of these categories.
I agree that DC is more aligned with northeastern cities in Density, Public transportation, and Built environment, but I still think that it is more like Atlanta culturally, Demographically. In current times Atlanta and DC seem to be more similar that before regarding certain demographics. Lately, something about the northeast feels "Off," or like it has lost it's allure. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
I agree that DC is more aligned with northeastern cities in Density, Public transportation, and Built environment, but I still think that it is more like Atlanta culturally, Demographically. In current times Atlanta and DC seem to be more similar that before regarding certain demographics. Lately, something about the northeast feels "Off," or like it has lost it's allure. I can't quite put my finger on it.
Culturally DC seems more like Boston to me considering education, income, amenities, dress etc. Demographically, sure it can be more like Atlanta mostly due to the Black population.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 PM

718 posts, read 492,580 times
Quote:
I understand demographically and I agree the northeast seems to have lost a little built of it's luster. It's almost as if people want those city amenities without the northeast hassles.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Culturally DC seems more like Boston to me considering education, income, amenities, dress etc. Demographically, sure it can be more like Atlanta mostly due to the Black population.
I agree that DC is similar to Boston, and other northeastern in certain aspects, but I think DC, and most southern cities for that matter, can write their own ticket. The Northeast just doesn't have it anymore.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Atlanta city does not remind me of DC at all. It seems like an odd comparison to me that people on this site are always pushing. Not even the older suburbs of DC such as Arlington, Falls Church or Montgomery County remind me much of Atlanta area. Newer suburbs post-1970s yes there is more similarity.

That said I don't see much similarity between DC and Philly either, except for a few areas already mentioned above, and Old City comparing to Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria. Baltimore has more similarity to Philly than DC does.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Atlanta city does not remind me of DC at all. It seems like an odd comparison to me that people on this site are always pushing. Not even the older suburbs of DC such as Arlington, Falls Church or Montgomery County remind me much of Atlanta area. Newer suburbs post-1970s yes there is more similarity.

That said I don't see much similarity between DC and Philly either, except for a few areas already mentioned above, and Old City comparing to Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria. Baltimore has more similarity to Philly than DC does.
Other than the rowhouses, what similarities do Philly and Baltimore share?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Absolutely Nothing besides rowhouses and weather. One City is Old School southern, and the other is a quintessential Northeastern city.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Their downtowns are more similar than DC or Atlanta's are to Philly. Both have a history of a large industrial and shipping based economies. Both have colonial history. Both have many distinct neighborhoods built around various ethnicities. they are the two biggest "rowhouse cities" in the country. both have high amount of poverty within the city. both are mid atlantic cities. both have large amount of catholics. both used to be rust-belt cities. both are on large rivers with close connections to large saltwater bays. the local accents of these two cities share a lot of similarities.. and probably many other things.

Last edited by _Buster; 04-14-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Absolutely Nothing besides rowhouses and weather. One City is Old School southern, and the other is a quintessential Northeastern city.
Nice ridiculous, patently false, troll response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City