Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 02:27 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Opinions are a great thing. Luckily we have them. I think each city offers terrific views from their boat tours.
I think the view in between the high rise buildings gives chicago that special view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 02:30 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I think the view in between the high rise buildings gives chicago that special view.
It's much more elegant. But I do have a thing for the boat tours to the Statue of Liberty, and the views of the scale of NYC in general during that trip.

What I will say, though, is that biking through Downtown Chicago is a much more enjoyable experience than anywhere in Manhattan, and yes, some of the views during bike rides there can be stunning.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:31 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The Chicago Boat Tour tops any view that NYC offers when it comes to boat tours in the summer
Yea, but that is not relevant to what I responded to.
I've done the boat tour, its amazing. But the post I responded to stated that NYC doesn't offer great skyline views because of too many tall buildings. Both have countless breathtaking views from all heights.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I've done the boat tour, its amazing. But the post I responded to stated that NYC doesn't offer great skyline views because of too many tall buildings. Both have countless breathtaking views from all heights.
Which is why I find it hard to pick one above the other for skyline views... What one does better than the other, the other has a response to.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I totally agree with this. NYC's skyline dwarfs Chicago and it is not even close. Both in the number of super-tall skyscrapers and the length. NYC's skyline is so large that it is hard to really get a great angle that captures everything in one nice view. You are forced to break it up into sections.

The reason why Chicago has a more picturesque skyline IMO is because you can capture it in 1 or 2 views (the Loop skyline with the Sears tower and the River North/Gold Coast skyline with the Hancock and Trump towers sometimes need to be split). Chicago also has very few "tall" buildings relative to NYC, which makes it easy to capture photos, because you can focus on the few tall skyscrapers and the other buildings are more backdrop.

I personally love NYC's skyline because it is so massive and intense, but because of that, it is harder to visualize all at once. You have to break it up into sections.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Regarding scope/numbers...

Chicago's skyline is roughly 2/3rd the size of Midtown by numerical skyscraper count. The Loop alone is larger than Lower Manhattan, Downtown BK & Long Island City.. combined

Anyone who says Chicago lacks scope and grandeur (even relative to Manhattan) hasn't been to the city.
Right, but you are comparing Chicago's full skyline (Loop, River North, Gold Coast, etc.) to just Midtown. All of Manhattan contributes to NYC's skyline (Manhattan skyline). Not saying that Chicago's skyline doesn't have scope and grandeur, but it is significantly smaller in scope and scale than NYC's. When you visit the 2 cities, the scale difference is tangible. And this is just Manhattan. If you throw in contributions from other boroughs, it's not even close.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right, but you are comparing Chicago's full skyline (Loop, River North, Gold Coast, etc.) to just Midtown. All of Manhattan contributes to NYC's skyline (Manhattan skyline). Not saying that Chicago's skyline doesn't have scope and grandeur, but it is significantly smaller in scope and scale than NYC's. When you visit the 2 cities, the scale difference is tangible. And this is just Manhattan. If you throw in contributions from other boroughs, it's not even close.
personone you’re right as usual in this response and the one before. It’s hard to quantify because the cities are laid out so differently but I’ll try. Googling NYC has something like 6,500 buildings and Chicago has about 1,500. These are not all tall buildings but they all contribute to in NYC’s case a solid wall of concrete and steel many miles long. It’s hard to compare that almost anyplace really. So to me the cities are both large and dense and go on and on but in NY’s case it’s just a much larger footprint that goes on and on. And that’s probably mainly due to the vast population and amount of commerce NY holds.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:52 PM

955 posts, read 613,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is not true at all.
Actually, it's facts. Getting a good view of the Chicago skyline is a lot easier from the many beaches along the shores of Lake Michigan or really from anywhere within the city. With NYC, you really need you make an effort to get a decent view.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 862,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Actually, it's facts. Getting a good view of the Chicago skyline is a lot easier from the many beaches along the shores of Lake Michigan or really from anywhere within the city. With NYC, you really need you make an effort to get a decent view.
It’s hard to get a view because the skyline is massive ..
Check out one of these spots
https://travelaway.me/nyc-rooftop-bars/
Personally would do press lounge

https://www.new-york-city-travel-tip...new-york-1.jpg

Old 12-31-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Still disagree. Never have a hard time getting nice views of the skyline. Tons of terrific lookouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City