Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Dallas averages 60% sun and Nashville 56%. That's pretty darn close to half the year. So what if I was off a few percentage points? You get the point.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ne-by-city.php

In comparison "super cloudy" Milwaukee averages 54% sun. How is 2% more sun in Nashville qualify it as a non-cloudy city? I used to live near there in Clarksville, and I can tell you its cloudy. A LOT.
There's not a single month in Dallas that averages less than 50% sun. Summer it's like 70-75% along with 135 clear days annually -- avg. 64%. Sure, coming from Phoenix it's noticeable. But you won't find anyone in Texas complaining about constantly gloomy or wet weather.

58 58 61 61 60 69 76 74 66 65 59 56 64
Source: NOAA (sun and relative humidity 1961–1990 at DFW Airport)[c][47][48][49]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas

Old 05-08-2017, 11:07 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Heh. I didn't know Dallas was an epicenter for country music. Who knew?

Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There's not a single month in Dallas that averages less than 50% sun. Summer it's like 70-75% along with 135 clear days annually -- avg. 64%. Sure, coming from Phoenix it's noticeable. But you won't find anyone in Texas complaining about constantly gloomy or wet weather.

58 58 61 61 60 69 76 74 66 65 59 56 64
Source: NOAA (sun and relative humidity 1961–1990 at DFW Airport)[c][47][48][49]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas
That's not far off places like Milwaukee, which everyone hails as "gloomy". Youre missing the point here. The point is that its not some sunny wonderland. Places like Minneapolis are sunnier. Sure Dallas is sunnier than, say, Buffalo, but if people move there expecting some wonderous sunshiney place, theyre in for a big surprise. Oh, I also forgot both cities can and do get tornadoes on top of all the other bad weather.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Quote:
Nashville and Dallas are what I call "zzzz cities". Both claim to be something "special", but they're really not. They're just large cities, with semi-decent downtowns (nothing to write home about), and garbage weather. Both cities are cloudy half the year, experience flooding, are muddy in winter from too much rain, and they aren't even truly warm in winter by any stretch of the word. Both are seemingly the epicenters of country music, which is a curse if you ask me. That is unless you like city/suburb boys and gals who dress up in boots and hats on the weekends, drive lifted pickups with the mandatory Realtree or "cowboy up" stickers on them, pretend to be cowboys/gilrs, but couldn't bale hay if their lives depended on it. Both have scenery that is subpar and nothing is unique to the landscapes they sit in. Hail, tornadoes, ice, even snow, plague them both, and they shut down when it happens. You have humid, wet Winters, humid Spring, grotesquely humid summers, and mild Falls.

Yes, PHX roasts for 4 months, but the remaining 8 months are virtually glorious.
OP, please ignore this post, this 95% incorrect about both Dallas and Nashville. I live in Phoenix and I love it, but I've lived in Dallas for 17 years, rarely experienced anything like what this poster describes. They probably have never been to either city.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wish I could like this twice.
Don't know why you would, since it's mostly wrong. But I forget this site is biased against Sunbelt cities.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,310 times
Well Phoenix does not offer much of a downtown, which is not that important, but Scottsdale is a very happening area, lots going on regularly throughout the year...

Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
OP, please ignore this post, this 95% incorrect about both Dallas and Nashville. I live in Phoenix and I love it, but I've lived in Dallas for 17 years, rarely experienced anything like what this poster describes. They probably have never been to either city.
I lived close to Nashville, so I'm no stranger to it.

How is 95% of my post incorrect? Lets take a look, then see why YOU'RE the one who is wrong. Here we go, kids.

Dallas is rather cloudy (not overly sunny): TRUE Dallas averages 60% sun, only 5% more than Milwaukee.
Dallas floods: TRUE
Dallas is muddy in winter: TRUE
Dallas isn't truly warm in winter: TRUE
Dallas is an epicenter of country music: TRUE (not as bad as Nashville)
Dallas has subpar scenery: TRUE
Dallas has hail: TRUE
Dallas has ice: TRUE
Dallas can get snow: TRUE
Dallas shuts down when ice/snow occur: TRUE
Dallas can get tornadoes: TRUE
Dallas has humid weather nearly year round: TRUE

So, please, oh wise one, tell me how my post was 95% inaccurate. I have all the weather data to prove you wrong, so unless you feel like getting shut down in front of everyone, I suggest you choose your next words very wisely.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I lived close to Nashville, so I'm no stranger to it.

How is 95% of my post incorrect? Lets take a look, then see why YOU'RE the one who is wrong. Here we go, kids.

Dallas is rather cloudy (not overly sunny): TRUE Dallas averages 60% sun, only 5% more than Milwaukee.
Dallas floods: TRUE
Dallas is muddy in winter: TRUE
Dallas isn't truly warm in winter: TRUE
Dallas is an epicenter of country music: TRUE (not as bad as Nashville)
Dallas has subpar scenery: TRUE
Dallas has hail: TRUE
Dallas has ice: TRUE
Dallas can get snow: TRUE
Dallas shuts down when ice/snow occur: TRUE
Dallas can get tornadoes: TRUE
Dallas has humid weather nearly year round: TRUE

So, please, oh wise one, tell me how my post was 95% inaccurate. I have all the weather data to prove you wrong, so unless you feel like getting shut down in front of everyone, I suggest you choose your next words very wisely.
Quote 1. "Both [Dallas and Nashville] claim to be something special, but they're really not."
Completely subjective, and therefore cannot be proven true or false.

Quote 2. Garbage weather
Competed to California maybe, but to the rest of the US I don't see too much of a difference.
Chicago has "garbage weather"
New York has "garbage weather"
Minneapolis has "garbage weather"
Phoenix has "garbage weather"
Etc. All subjective, and therefore cannot be proven true or false.

Quote 3. Rather cloudy
Since when is a majority sunny considered "rather cloudy". Also, how is this a bad thing? Most of the US is like this. Also, Phoenix's lack of precipitation causes issues with allergies as there is no rain to wash away pollen buildup.

Quote 4. Muddy in winter
Doesn't rain much in Dallas during the winter.

Quote 5. Not Truly warm in winter
This is true

Quote 6. Epicenter of country music
Phoenix is worse than Dallas in this regard. Also, lived in Dallas for 17 years, never had an issue with country music. In fact, I didn't even have to go out of my way to avoid it. There's also a huge hip hop, rock, EDM, and Latin scene.

Quote 7. The whole cowboy quip
LOL. This shows that you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what goes on in Dallas.

Quote 8. Subpar scenery
This is true

Quote 9. Hail, snow, ice, tornadoes "plague" the city
1. Most of the hail that happens causes minimal damage. This is also why there are clauses for hail damage offered with car and home insurance.
2. It snows/ices 1-2 times a year
3. Tornadoes happen between late March and early June, a total of 3 months or of 12.
These events occur but they do not "plague" the city.

The reason you were "95%" incorrect (exaggeration for effect) is because of the hyperbole on several of your statements in order to make Dallas seem worse than Phoenix. I could easily do the same to Phoenix:

1. Constant dust storms
2. Sweltering heat for 8 months
3. Dull brown scenery
4. Everything covered in a layer of dust
5. Epicenter of country music
6. No culture
7. No diversity

But I love Phoenix because there's so much more than the negatives.

Please shut me down, I couldn't care less.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big cats View Post
nashville and dallas are what i call "zzzz cities". Both claim to be something "special", but they're really not. They're just large cities, with semi-decent downtowns (nothing to write home about), and garbage weather. Both cities are cloudy half the year, experience flooding, are muddy in winter from too much rain, and they aren't even truly warm in winter by any stretch of the word. Both are seemingly the epicenters of country music, which is a curse if you ask me. That is unless you like city/suburb boys and gals who dress up in boots and hats on the weekends, drive lifted pickups with the mandatory realtree or "cowboy up" stickers on them, pretend to be cowboys/gilrs, but couldn't bale hay if their lives depended on it. Both have scenery that is subpar and nothing is unique to the landscapes they sit in. Hail, tornadoes, ice, even snow, plague them both, and they shut down when it happens. You have humid, wet winters, humid spring, grotesquely humid summers, and mild falls.

Yes, phx roasts for 4 months, but the remaining 8 months are virtually glorious.
Whaaaaaaaaaat!!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
3. Tornadoes happen between late March and early June, a total of 3 months or of 12.
These events occur but they do not "plague" the city.
False. Most tornadoes occur in the spring, but there's also a secondary tornado "season" in the fall (Oct/Nov). Tornadoes can occur in DFW in almost any month - take, for instance, the EF-4 that tore through Rowlett and Garland on 12/26/2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City