Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 13,334 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to either Dallas or back to Phoenix. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years, but then moved to Portland, Oregon for the past 10 years. The weather is Portland just rains and overcast way too much for my liking. Job market is not that strong in Portland either, but much better in Dallas and Phoenix. I am early 50's, no kids, don't drink, so not into the whole party scene. I enjoy the outdoors, love greenry, so have heard that Dallas the job market is good, but crowded and flat.
Any thoughts on these two areas?
I have also considered Nashville, as it seems to be growing a lot as well.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,122,642 times
For my money Nashville has the best climate. Scenery is good too with lots of forested hills surrounding the city and a range of mountains (Cumberland Plateau) within an easy drive. Phoenix has great scenery but is burning hot in the summer. The scenery around Dallas is duller than dishwater and the climate is not that great either. I don't know much about the job market in these towns.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:41 PM

I know a couple of people that moved to Nashville, they love the area, the scenary, and they said the job market is good there. Yes Phoenix does get pretty hot in the summer and I am originally from Maryland, so I do like the seasonal changes in temps.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,429,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_southwest View Post
I am looking to move to either Dallas or back to Phoenix. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years, but then moved to Portland, Oregon for the past 10 years. The weather is Portland just rains and overcast way too much for my liking. Job market is not that strong in Portland either, but much better in Dallas and Phoenix. I am early 50's, no kids, don't drink, so not into the whole party scene. I enjoy the outdoors, love greenry, so have heard that Dallas the job market is good, but crowded and flat.
Any thoughts on these two areas?
I have also considered Nashville, as it seems to be growing a lot as well.
I would move to Nashville if I were you because Dallas is not known for outdoors activities.Dallas has some seasons but the climate there is very bipolar.I would think the outdoor activities would be better in Nashville than the Big D.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM

So is the job market pretty strong ion general in Nashville?

Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,914,364 times
I recommend either Nashville or Dallas only thing is you said you like Greenery and not into the party scene so that Crosses Phoenix off your list, Phoenix is Brown but scenery is underrated, Has a Nice Mountain Background. You also said you not into party scene. Nashville has a Huge Party Scene so no sure that's what you looking for BUT it's not like you can't avoid it, For Sure Nashville has Plenty of Recreation and Has 4 Seasons STRONG job market and is not Flat. I think you ll enjoy it. Dallas is similar jus subtract the Party Scene and it's not the most recreational city but there is Recreation there and Plenty of Lakes and Prairies Nashville also has Lakes within the vicinity...Dallas is Not Completely flat as many have suggested. If you can just skip the Party Scene I Recommend Nashville/Williamson or Sumner County, If The Party Scene and Tourism is not your Liking the. Go with Dallas,

Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,125,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I recommend either Nashville or Dallas only thing is you said you like Greenery and not into the party scene so that Crosses Phoenix off your list, Phoenix is Brown but scenery is underrated, Has a Nice Mountain Background. You also said you not into party scene. Nashville has a Huge Party Scene so no sure that's what you looking for BUT it's not like you can't avoid it, For Sure Nashville has Plenty of Recreation and Has 4 Seasons STRONG job market and is not Flat. I think you ll enjoy it. Dallas is similar jus subtract the Party Scene and it's not the most recreational city but there is Recreation there and Plenty of Lakes and Prairies Nashville also has Lakes within the vicinity...Dallas is Not Completely flat as many have suggested. If you can just skip the Party Scene I Recommend Nashville/Williamson or Sumner County, If The Party Scene and Tourism is not your Liking the. Go with Dallas,
Are you really that clueless or just drunk when you wrote that? Stop writing lies. It makes you look ignorant. You have not experienced Dallas or the party scene here at all. You really have no idea. All 3 cities have a party scene, but you can easily avoid them. Plenty of suburbs and quieter residential areas in all metros.

With that said, I think Nashville would be a better option for outdoor recreation and 4 seasons. It's not Vegas by any means, so I don't know why you think it has this huge party scene. You can certainly avoid the touristy areas.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,761,582 times
I'd go with Nashville here

Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,847,506 times
Phoenix doesn't seem like the city for you.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 PM

Sounds like Nashville is where I might need to end up...tough job searches and interviews from Portland. I do have some strong job leads in Frisco and Dallas area. So I guess push comes to shove, I could start in Dallas, and if it does not work out then shift to Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City