Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
Philly isn't any different than it's regional peers. It's one of the classic American cities. It's biggest difference with the other three however is that it just doesn't boast about itself. Bigmouth's bring attention to themselves. All four major Northeast corridor cities have their bad stereotypes. Every single one. Philly just doesn't care to boast which some people really like about it. It's also probably another reason why people view it as underrated. It's a fiercely loyal and proud city that doesn't boast itself.

It has super ritzy neighborhoods that are as good as any in America, and plenty of them. One thing however you simply cannot knock IMO are the suburbs. They set a standard in the entire country IMO. I absolutely love them. Knock North Philly all you want, the suburbs are untouchable if you ask me.
Good post and alot of truth.

Was out at Valley Forge National Park today. Its about 10 minutes or so from Center City Philly . If this Park were 10 minutes from Manhattan, DC ,Chi,LA,SF or downtown Boston it would be world reknown tourist trap.

But its 10 minutes from Philadlephia so 99.9 % of the world doesnt know it exists. If they did it would be an absolute mob scene.

Because its Philadlephia its just a nice place for the locals to walk their dog, jog or ride their bike. And the locals like it that way.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6056/6...602423d5_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3867/1...94f52fe4_b.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If I said the worst smelling and dirty neighborhood of NYC was Chinatown? Would I automatically be racist?
The statement in and of itself won't be racist, but the opposite can turn out true depending on the context the posters use it in. Go find out yourself on the P&OC forum.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Was out at Valley Forge National Park today. Its about 10 minutes or so from Center City Philly . If this Park were 10 minutes from Manhattan, DC ,Chi,LA,SF or downtown Boston it would be world reknown tourist trap.

But its 10 minutes from Philadlephia so 99.9 % of the world doesnt know it exists. If they did it would be an absolute mob scene.

Because its Philadlephia its just a nice place for the locals to walk their dog, jog or ride their bike. And the locals like it that way.

10 minutes? You absolutely lie. I have lived here my whole life and it is not 10 minutes from Center City and you know it. Tell the truth or get off this thread. It is more like 30 minutes minimum and much worse in weekday traffic. Of course you know this, but will do anything to hype up Philadelphia to something it isn't.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Valley Forge NP isn't that interesting, and is a good hour in traffic from Center City. Philly is a great town, but let's not exaggerate.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Valley Forge NP isn't that interesting, and is a good hour in traffic from Center City. Philly is a great town, but let's not exaggerate.

True about VFNP. But it is a lie about 10 minutes and not an exaggeration. Valley Forge is 18 miles from Center City. How on earth does anyone travel 18 miles in 10 minutes in that kind of urban region? They don't is the truth and he knows it.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
Philly isn't any different than it's regional peers. It's one of the classic American cities. It's biggest difference with the other three however is that it just doesn't boast about itself. Bigmouth's bring attention to themselves. All four major Northeast corridor cities have their bad stereotypes. Every single one. Philly just doesn't care to boast which some people really like about it. It's also probably another reason why people view it as underrated. It's a fiercely loyal and proud city that doesn't boast itself.

It has super ritzy neighborhoods that are as good as any in America, and plenty of them. One thing however you simply cannot knock IMO are the suburbs. They set a standard in the entire country IMO. I absolutely love them. Knock North Philly all you want, the suburbs are untouchable if you ask me.
Cities don't become well known by boasting, for the most part. They become well known by being in movies, famous books, and so on. Also by the events they hold.

As great as it is as a city, Philly is a little out of sight. And when it is in sight, like for sports events, it gets tagged for some fan-behavior incidents. Personally I don't was NL baseball, but Eagles games also have the issue of being in winter cold (later in season) that's unfamiliar even in my northern city.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Agreed, it's more like an half an hour away.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:00 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:

Minuteman national park is literally exactly like that.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:47 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Philly's driving time to Valley Forge certainly varies (traffic isn't always atrocious and not everyone lives in Center City). 30-60 min. is a reasonable range.

I think most would also disagree as to a lack of interest. Its history, lovely countryside vistas, hiking trails, and wildlife are a winning draw.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:

Maybe Valley Forge would be a "world reknown tourist trap" if it was near those other cities but not Manhattan/New York.

That is because there is a equally large encampment for the Continental Army near NYC called Morristown National Historic Park that I suspect most people never heard of. Washington and the main Continental Army actually spent most of the Revolutionary War in an arc from southwestern Connecticut to central New Jersey watching over the main British army in New York City.

But chances are most people don't know that and never heard of Morristown. That is at least partially because New York City and also the states of New York and New Jersey do not promote their history like some other states and cities do. When you think of New York and New Jersey you probably think of a lot of things both good and bad but I suspect most people never think of 300 year old Dutch farmhouses, colonial churches, historic ships and old battlefields and forts.

Sorry but that has always been a pet peeve of mine!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris...istorical_Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City