Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philly's driving time to Valley Forge certainly varies (traffic isn't always atrocious and not everyone lives in Center City). 30-60 min. is a reasonable range.

I think most would also disagree as to a lack of interest. Its history, lovely countryside vistas, hiking trails, and wildlife are a winning draw.

Yep, the Schuylkill Distressway is a total wild card. I like Valley Forge, and often go for walks there. It can be a very peaceful place, especially off hours. There is a tremendous amount of history in the Region. There is also Brandywine Battlefield which actually had a battle there. The Continentals got their butts kicked unfortunately, and the British occupied Philadelphia.

If you want an even more impressive battlefield drive the two hours to Gettysburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philly's driving time to Valley Forge certainly varies (traffic isn't always atrocious and not everyone lives in Center City). 30-60 min. is a reasonable range.

I think most would also disagree as to a lack of interest. Its history, lovely countryside vistas, hiking trails, and wildlife are a winning draw.
Valley Forge is a beautiful and awesome place... one of the seeming few outer areas that isn't served by some kind of rail line, esp Regional Rail... The Sure-Kill Expressway can be very temperamental when it comes to traffic. You never know when, in an moments notice, when things start to back up.

... As to VF itself, one can find much of the same natural beauty and activity right inside the City in Valley Green which cuts a swath along the Wissahickon Creek (in Fairmount Park) through Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill... Just another one of the zillions of unique assets Philadelphia possesses.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:21 PM

61 posts, read 61,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Valley Forge NP isn't that interesting, and is a good hour in traffic from Center City. Philly is a great town, but let's not exaggerate.

More often than not, a park is a park no matter what city or metro you're in. They do have different vibes though, at least to me, which is one reason I tend to favor one over another.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Minuteman national park is literally exactly like that.

I'm a history buff. My girlfriend and I visited Valley Forge and Minuteman in the last few years. Valley Forge was much better. Seemed much larger and more tourist friendly. Tons of colonial buildings and areas of interest.

The most interesting part of Minuteman was the little canal/river next to the statue where some guy was kayaking. The field to walk over was very muddy and seemed like just weeds that were flattened.

I liked Lexington and Concord, but Valley Forge is definitely one of my favorite's.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
I'm a history buff. My girlfriend and I visited Valley Forge and Minuteman in the last few years. Valley Forge was much better. Seemed much larger and more tourist friendly. Tons of colonial buildings and areas of interest.

The most interesting part of Minuteman was the little canal/river next to the statue where some guy was kayaking. The field to walk over was very muddy and seemed like just weeds that were flattened.

I liked Lexington and Concord, but Valley Forge is definitely one of my favorite's.

That waterway was the Concord River and you were at the site of the Old North Bridge. It is the site where the first British soldiers in the war for independence were killed by colonists.

It sounds as if you may have just gone to the Lexington Green and Old North Bridge sites. Much of the park and most of the colonial structures are on the Battle Road, a five mile trail with several sites important to the day of the battles and the retreat of the British regulars back to Boston.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Concord Hymn

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We set to-day a votive stone;
That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

Spirit, that made those heroes dare,
To die, and leave their children free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee.

Side note: Emerson's grandfather's house (the old manse) which was standing at the time of the battle is a few hundred yards from the bridge. The house is also significant for later having been a residence of National Hawthorne. During the early 1800's, the town of Concord was a literary center as it was home to Emerson, the Alcotts, Hawthorne, and Thoreau. All of them are buried at Author's Ridge in the nearby Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Minuteman National Park
https://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvis...-2014-copy.jpg

Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
That waterway was the Concord River and you were at the site of the Old North Bridge. It is the site where the first British soldiers in the war for independence were killed by colonists.

It sounds as if you may have just gone to the Lexington Green and Old North Bridge sites. Much of the park and most of the colonial structures are on the Battle Road, a five mile trail with several sites important to the day of the battles and the retreat of the British regulars back to Boston.

No, we did the five mile trail, or what we could of it. Nothing was very well kept or maintained. I just highlighted the "highlight" of the park to us. Town of Lexington had the memorial. Everything just seemed disjointed and it wasn't that impressive.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedOne View Post
Here is a better question to ask them. What do Washington and Boston have that Philadelphia doesn't? And then when they list things they supposedly have, you tell them they're wrong and list the same exact things in Philadelphia.

I really can't come up with a single thing any one of those three cities have over the other. It's more or less a matter of vibe and livability.
The positive things they are all about equal. The negative things though like crime and poverty, Philadelphia is probably tops. Population growth also seems to be much higher in DC and Boston. But why? They're both much more expensive to live in. What about job growth. Where does Philadelphia stand compared to the other two? I think in the 80s to the mid 90s DC had the worst reputation of the three.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The positive things they are all about equal. The negative things though like crime and poverty, Philadelphia is probably tops. Population growth also seems to be much higher in DC and Boston. But why? They're both much more expensive to live in. What about job growth. Where does Philadelphia stand compared to the other two? I think in the 80s to the mid 90s DC had the worst reputation of the three.
Philadelphia does have a higher crime rate than Boston, but DC has a higher crime rate than Philadelphia.

You know, you can easily find this information on this very website you use religiously every day.

Crime Rates
Washington DC
2015 Murder Rate: 24.1 per 100,000
2015 Crime Rate: 591.5 per 100,000
https://www.city-data.com/city/Washin...-Columbia.html

Boston
2015 Murder Rate: 5.7 per 100,000
2015 Crime Rate: 307.6 per 100,000
https://www.city-data.com/city/Boston-Massachusetts.html

Philadelphia
2015 Murder Rate: 17.9 per 100,000
2015 Crime Rate: 485.9 per 100,000
https://www.city-data.com/city/Philad...nsylvania.html

Population Growth 2010-2016
Boston - +55,590
DC - +79,447
Philadelphia - +41,866

^^All info from the US Census Bureau.

Job Growth April 2016 to April 2017
Boston - +42,800
Philadelphia - +43,900
DC - +38,00

https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-engl...ent_boston.htm

Old 07-29-2017, 05:25 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,434 times
All I know is that town was too gangsta for young Will Smith, he was sent cross country to live at uncle Phil's.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
All I know is that town was too gangsta for young Will Smith, he was sent cross country to live at uncle Phil's.
He only got in one little fight-and his mom just got scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City