Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
This. Who the hell compares Philly to DC or Boston?
More than a few people, and not just here on C-D. I mean they are Philly's closest peers after all.

Quote:
The perception of Philly is not ever made in comparison to DC because outside of the BosWash nobody hypes DC.
I can tell you that Black folks, especially educated Black folks, down South do indeed hype DC. It gets a lot of press in Virginia, the Carolinas, Atlanta, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Your anecdotes aside I don't really see how you assumed race into what these West Coast clients were thinking. Maybe the reason they said Newark is because they probably had knowledge of Newark and little else on the East Coast. You don't know. But you certainly love assuming others are racist for no reason. Probably because you're one yourself. See how easy that is?
Just wanted to apologize for jumping to a race issue on the negative comments relating Newark to Philly. I was called a racist here for pointing out the connection between the dislike of 2 cities with high minority populations may have been related to racism.

That whole ''race'' association with cities as ''sh*tholes'' has been cleared up by President Trump being ''racist'' for calling out whole countries as being ''sh*tholes''.

I jumped the gun in making the association that the people putting down cities like Newark and its larger sister-city Philly were actually putting down these places because of the large minority presence in both, while they sing the praises of Boston, Seattle, Portland etc.

Like the people dumping on Philly/Newark/Detroit/Baltimore/Cleveland/Camden etc. (many consider these places to be dysfunctional sh*tholes) it has nothing to do with race, just like Trump putting down El Salvador, Haiti, and some other African countries.

My apologies to this thread for my mistake. Race has no bearing on whether someone likes a city or calls them sh*tholes even if they are cities with crappy economies, high crime, poverty, blight, and dysfunctional leadership just as race has no bearing on countries with crappy economies, high crime, poverty, blight, and dysfunctional leadership.

Again, I apologize for making the race possibility when putting down what some may consider to be 3rd world US cities.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-12-2018 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Some people have idea that Philadelphia is dangerous

Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Philly is like Baltimore. Neither are Boston NYC or DC.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Philly is like Baltimore.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...56/119/660.gif

Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
More than a few people, and not just here on C-D. I mean they are Philly's closest peers after all.

I can tell you that Black folks, especially educated Black folks, down South do indeed hype DC. It gets a lot of press in Virginia, the Carolinas, Atlanta, etc.
Not only this, but I can tell you black people in California have an awareness of DC. Probably not to the same extent as blacks who are down south (closer to the source); but plenty of California blacks have regards for DC and there are more than a few Californians in Metro Washington...

I know it's the nature of some people on this board to minimize black values and the like, but I'd even posit that DC has a name to non-blacks around the country...

As to the actual thread, Philly does not have the worst perception problem, and I'm getting tired of this crybaby "everybody looks over me" Philly mentality on here. It's getting old. The perception of Philly is very high in comparison to Detroit and a number of other American cities...

Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
My general perception of Philadelphia is positive. I see the city as bedrock Americana. A true legacy city. Great urban core, neighborhoods, universities, local culture, sports, history etc..

The one negative I have is how grimy the city can appear at first glance. Maybe it’s just endemic of me living in relatively tidy and spread out new South cities for much of my life (Atlanta and DFW). When you see Philly, you know you’re in someplace old with serious urban density.

As far as recognition, Philadelphia is in an impossible situation. Sandwiched between NYC, Boston, Baltimore and DC.

I mean, imagine if the South’s Big 4 cities or the West’s biggest cities were all within a 5-6 hour drive of each other. A corridor with Miami, Atlanta, Houston and DFW. How about, LA, SF Bay Area, Seattle and San Diego all in close proximity. Someone is going to be overlooked.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sir, You can call the area between downtown Philly and the stadiums alot of things but its definitely not a wasteland. Upwards of 400,000 live there and the population density of Center City + South Philly is 35,000 people per sq mile. Thats top 1% in the USA. It might not suit your personal taste but wasteland is the wrong description.

Philadelphia doesnt have a grid pattern of wide streets. Maybe Market Street + Broad Street I would categorize as normal city streets. Ben Franklin Parkway was meant to be a grand boulevard but other than that the street grid in Philly is probably more compact than any city in the USA.

And truth be told Philadelphia didnt try to be like NYC. Its more like NYC tried to be like Philadlephia and surpassed it measurably.

Area between stadiums + downtown

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1500w

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmedek/8222822948/sizes/l
Beat them with facts.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
It's weird, but I don't know anyone in real life who has ever spoken more than a few sentences about Philly. In Dallas people talk about Chicago, Houston, LA, San Francisco, NYC, Boston, DC or the PNW pretty regularly, but I have never know any person to go to Philly for a weekend. I even knew a guy who taught in Philly for a year out of undergrad and even he didn't have much to say about it. I actually met a girl pretty recently from Hershey who was very dismissive of it. "Eh, its just sort of a big city, kind of dirty and lots of crime, if I want a big city fix I go to NYC or DC. In PA, Pittsburgh is more interesting"

I think the previous point that Philly is to NYC what Baltimore is to DC is a pretty good point.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's weird, but I don't know anyone in real life who has ever spoken more than a few sentences about Philly. In Dallas people talk about Chicago, Houston, LA, San Francisco, NYC, Boston, DC or the PNW pretty regularly, but I have never know any person to go to Philly for a weekend. I even knew a guy who taught in Philly for a year out of undergrad and even he didn't have much to say about it. I actually met a girl pretty recently from Hershey who was very dismissive of it. "Eh, its just sort of a big city, kind of dirty and lots of crime, if I want a big city fix I go to NYC or DC. In PA, Pittsburgh is more interesting"

I think the previous point that Philly is to NYC what Baltimore is to DC is a pretty good point.
It's not a bad point entirely.

But, maybe it might behove you to see for yourself rather than believing in hearsay from other people with limited exposure to Philly. Lots of people from the rest of PA( like that girl from Hershey) dislike SE PA because, in part, it's the most liberal part of the state and where much of the state's wealth is concentrated. You might tell that girl that Milton Hershey started in Philadelphia.

Right now I'm sitting in a coffee shop filled with successful looking millennials and just about everywhere that I go in the city nowadays it's a similar story. I'm an oldhead Boomer and it's clear to me that I'm the oldest one in this particular shop. 46 million tourists came to Philly in 2016 so someone likes us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City