Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one
North Philly 80 59.26%
South side of Chicago 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 04:56 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
IMO, Philly's upward trajectory, driven mostly by Center City and South Philly, is lifting the entire city up. Some regions more slowly than others, but the region as a whole seems to be improving. OTOH, Chicago, as a city, is improving and is also on an upward trajectory as a whole, but it seems there is more of a "tale of two cities" aspect between North Side v South Side. That's my observation. Feel free to prove me wrong anyone because I'm not basing this on any facts and I'd love to see the reality.
There are already countless concrete plans for the South Side to get a considerable piece of the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:52 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
South side - much more livable imo. Philly just too grimy...

Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
South side - much more livable imo. Philly just too grimy...
yea im not sure what people are talking about here. I guess they're only talking abou a few parts of Lower North Philly.

North Philly: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9887...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9971...7i16384!8i8192

Englewood, Chicago: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7698...7i16384!8i8192

Auburn Gresham, Chicago: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7417...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Yes, both reigns have their worst looking areas. But Chicago's street-grid and single homes to apartment buildings. With green frontage and by far .... un-attached. Look better and city still furnishes street-sweeper service.

List rows in a block look far worse too the lost unattached homes on a block too.

Yes one could choose a Chicago SS block of more neglected even boarded-up to broken windows blocks. But far more areas look decent to great. Sadly ..... gangland gang on gang crime makes them hoods. By look. I would not call most ghettos if housing is intact and clean.....

I always add Chicago did a MUCH better job clearing out its worst blight of the past thru the 90s. That also removed the war-zone areas riots once took place.

The city also enforces better practices of keeping frontage grass maintained and better at forcing yards not to be trashed.

This VIDEO is a compilation of the worst ghetto cities...
20 of them is from 4-months ago. List subjective. But on clean streets and sidewalks alone...... after seeing some other cities showed.

I would not put Chicago in the top 10 worst at #9. LA is placed just before at #10.

So Chicago made #9 and Philly #1 worst looking ghetto cities......

*** But sadly, the TOP worst ghetto cities were Baltimore at #3, Camden at #2 and PHILLY PUT AT #1 HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmEXB7Nq0E

It's a longish video but since this thread is on only two cities.....
TO VIEW CHICAGO'S SEGMENT.
**** SCROLL TO THE -----> 17.40 POINT IN THE VIDEO THE CHICAGO SEGMENT BEGINS.

TO VIEW PHILLYS SEGMENT.
***** SCROLL TO ABOUT THE -----> 38.30 POINT IN THE VIDEO THE PHILLY SEGMENT BEGINS.

Chicago's segment -- is more it stays more main streets by the L elevated tracks closed businesses and areas buildings removed.
BUT ONE DIFFERENCE WITH THE OTHER CITIES PROVING MY POINT ..... THE STREETS AND SIDEWAJLKS LOOK CLEAN FOR A GHETTO. Of course .... there are seasons and blocks might be exceptions. But this video still PROVES THAT POINT I MADE.

Philly made #1 worst in this 2019 video. Big difference in CLEANLINESS vs Chicago's segment. PHILLY'S -- goes down row-blocks pretty darn trashed at a ridiculous degree. Philly's all goes down more blocks of housing too then Chicago's segment.

Subjective video. But some things stand out despite Chicago's showing less housing blocks...... ITS SEGMENT LOOKS MUCH MUCH CLEANER. A reason too I DO NOT BELIEVE CHICAGO HOODS ARE NOT WORST LOOKING THEN PHILLY'S. SORRY.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:54 AM

chicago's residential blocks in its worst areas are more akin to DC in quality than Philly.

Chicago's commercial streets house the lionshare of the blight and even then it doesnt approach Philly..

Old 01-29-2020, 10:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
chicago's residential blocks in its worst areas are more akin to DC in quality than Philly.

Chicago's commercial streets house the lionshare of the blight and even then it doesnt approach Philly..

Southside Chicago's bad parts are more akin to Detroit.

Empty enough that no one will even hear you scream.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Yes, both reigns have their worst looking areas. But Chicago's street-grid and single homes to apartment buildings. With green frontage and by far .... un-attached. Look better and city still furnishes street-sweeper service.

As has been stated numerous times, Southside Chicago is massive in land area. If you want a front yard and a drive way, you wouldn't move to North Philadelphia, you would move to Northeast Philadelphia.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0381...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-29-2020, 11:34 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

That may be, but at least you can make a run for it, whether on foot or in a car, if you had to? I got anxiety watching that video going down those streets in Philly. It looked like things could go terribly bad in seconds and you’d be a sitting duck.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That may be, but at least you can make a run for it, whether on foot or in a car, if you had to? I got anxiety watching that video going down those streets in Philly. It looked like things could go terribly bad in seconds and you’d be a sitting duck.

Are you planning on becoming a turf war gangster? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City