Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one
North Philly 80 59.26%
South side of Chicago 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times

Advertisements

I think I responded to this thread years ago, but I'll quickly summarize my viewpoint: I think North Philly (at least up to Lehigh Ave) has a brighter future than the Southside of Chicago. Those who haven't been to Lower North Philly in a few years may not recognize certain portions of it: Francisville and Brewerytown have been completely transformed, Strawberry Mansion is slowly gaining developer interest, Norris Square is preparing to boom due to the fact that South Kensington is running out of developable lots, and I've seen new homes popping up as far north as 6th and York. The line of demarcation between "Greater Center City" and "North Philly" is still solidly Girard Avenue, but I could make a really good case for it being Cecil B. Moore Avenue nowadays. I also believe that, further down the line, Nicetown/Tioga may have potential.

To solidify its position, North Philly really needs another employment center. The growth of Temple University, along with its transformation from a commuter campus to a residential one, is what saved Lower North Philly from becoming as abandoned as the South Side. Now, it needs another huge development to help it grow further. If the North Station District Plan is able to be successfully implemented, then I can see a situation where all of North Philly below Lehigh Avenue is actively gentrifying, and developers gain interest in rowhomes/lots between Allegheny and Lehigh Avenues (with the exception of Fairhill for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 01:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Whats the real "North Philly"? I've seen posters including parts of Chicago that lay outside "Southside Chicago", if we're going to be technical, Roxborough, Germantown and Chestnut Hill are all "North" philadelphia which makes your entire comment asinine.
Germantown is Germantown, not North Philly, same for Roxborough and Chestnut Hill.. Those city sections collectively are called Northwest Philadelphia ( Unofficially)

Old 07-22-2020, 01:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Chicago is better. Philadelphia small dark homes.
You can have it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6now...outh-side/amp/

Old 07-22-2020, 02:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Yup, and that is just one single incident. Throughout a summer weekend there are all kinds of shootings and chaos. South Side Chicago just has a far scarier reputation than North Philly. Most Chicagoans like me have never even been to the South Side, outside of maybe places like Hyde Park or to a Sox game. A sad, but honest reality.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
The architecture is a lot better in Chicago and the streetscapes look much better. Chicago also has more to offer as a city.

Philly seems less dangerous though and the climate is much warmer

Old 07-27-2020, 06:18 PM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I think I responded to this thread years ago, but I'll quickly summarize my viewpoint: I think North Philly (at least up to Lehigh Ave) has a brighter future than the Southside of Chicago. Those who haven't been to Lower North Philly in a few years may not recognize certain portions of it: Francisville and Brewerytown have been completely transformed, Strawberry Mansion is slowly gaining developer interest, Norris Square is preparing to boom due to the fact that South Kensington is running out of developable lots, and I've seen new homes popping up as far north as 6th and York. The line of demarcation between "Greater Center City" and "North Philly" is still solidly Girard Avenue, but I could make a really good case for it being Cecil B. Moore Avenue nowadays. I also believe that, further down the line, Nicetown/Tioga may have potential.
I wouldn't go that far in calling anything north of Girard Ave associated with Center City, and there's a reason for that just as I wouldn't call anything south of Washington Ave Center City but South Philly. I don't see all of North Philly being gentrified for a reason but I do see the area between Girard and Lehigh south to north, and the old Reading main line and 20th St as being a sort of a "Templetown" the way University City stretches from the Schuylkill River to 48th St. That fact alone is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
To solidify its position, North Philly really needs another employment center. The growth of Temple University, along with its transformation from a commuter campus to a residential one, is what saved Lower North Philly from becoming as abandoned as the South Side. Now, it needs another huge development to help it grow further. If the North Station District Plan is able to be successfully implemented, then I can see a situation where all of North Philly below Lehigh Avenue is actively gentrifying, and developers gain interest in rowhomes/lots between Allegheny and Lehigh Avenues (with the exception of Fairhill for now).
The problem with the South Side of Chicago is that it's a perpetual wasteland of poverty. There are some middle class pockets, but even then it's starting to get slim to none as certain middle-class neighborhoods like the South Shore are now laying siege to the dangerous gangs in Chicago. The poverty even extends to places like Harvey and Blue Island and even through state lines to infamous Gary IN. Philly does have Camden, but that city is starting to rebound, gradually but surely. Philadelphia is surrounded by some the most affluent suburbs in the nation and the blight seems to getting smaller. It used to start fro around Fairmount all the way into Erie, but now the sam blight is contracting to about York St. By 2030, Philly will look completely different than the Philly of the 2000s or even last decade. I'm not sure if I could say the same about Chicago in 2030.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:59 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The problem with the South Side of Chicago is that it's a perpetual wasteland of poverty. There are some middle class pockets, but even then it's starting to get slim to none as certain middle-class neighborhoods like the South Shore are now laying siege to the dangerous gangs in Chicago. The poverty even extends to places like Harvey and Blue Island and even through state lines to infamous Gary IN. Philly does have Camden, but that city is starting to rebound, gradually but surely. Philadelphia is surrounded by some the most affluent suburbs in the nation and the blight seems to getting smaller. It used to start fro around Fairmount all the way into Erie, but now the sam blight is contracting to about York St. By 2030, Philly will look completely different than the Philly of the 2000s or even last decade. I'm not sure if I could say the same about Chicago in 2030.
I think you meant "falling siege to" or "besieged by".

I take it the University of Chicago isn't strong enough or big enough (actually, I know it's not the latter) to spread its stability beyond Hyde Park?

I'd say that much of "Bronzeville" has stronger bones than Strawberry Mansion or any of a number of similar North Philly neighborhoods.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:47 AM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I take it the University of Chicago isn't strong enough or big enough (actually, I know it's not the latter) to spread its stability beyond Hyde Park?.
The University of Chicago has been kept in check by a long standing agreement with the city to not encroach south of 61st into Woodlawn but that is easing some. The university has made some investments in Woodlawn along 63rd and on Cottage Grove. They are investing in the Obama Library to help spur further revitalization of Woodlawn but lawsuits by park preservationists and hostile community organizations have turned the process into a disaster that has put the timeline years behind schedule.

Developers have been keen on Bronzeville for years and the redevelopment of the former Michael Resse Hospital site is still moving forward even during the pandemic. Bronzeville's proximity to the Loop and lakefront will eventually make it a highly desireable neighborhood. In terms of location and potential it is the south side's Lincoln Park. Dozens of homes there have sold for $700k which is an historic high. One problem with the area is they have allowed many heavily suburban retail complexes to be built that look absolutely ridiculous. The city's never-ending war on height has also kept new multi-family construction to low-rise 4-8 story buildings. The city should be replacing all of the high-rise public housing that was torn down with similar height and density. Bronzeville has the sprawling open fields to fill with tall, dense, urban uses. Unfortunately "New Urbanism" has won out for the areas rebuilding process and will continue especially with Maurice Cox as the city's planner who is an ardent supporter of the style.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:03 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
The University of Chicago has been kept in check by a long standing agreement with the city to not encroach south of 61st into Woodlawn but that is easing some.

The university has made some investments in Woodlawn along 63rd and on Cottage Grove. They are investing in the Obama Library to help spur further revitalization of Woodlawn but lawsuits by park preservationists and hostile community organizations have turned the process into a disaster that has put the timeline years behind schedule.

Developers have been keen on Bronzeville for years and the redevelopment of the former Michael Resse Hospital site is still moving forward even during the pandemic. Bronzeville's proximity to the Loop and lakefront will eventually make it a highly desireable neighborhood. In terms of location and potential it is the south side's Lincoln Park. Dozens of homes there have sold for $700k which is an historic high. One problem with the area is they have allowed many heavily suburban retail complexes to be built that look absolutely ridiculous.

The city's never-ending war on height has also kept new multi-family construction to low-rise 4-8 story buildings. The city should be replacing all of the high-rise public housing that was torn down with similar height and density. Bronzeville has the sprawling open fields to fill with tall, dense, urban uses. Unfortunately "New Urbanism" has won out for the areas rebuilding process and will continue especially with Maurice Cox as the city's planner who is an ardent supporter of the style.
But that height is what most housing is in the area. The city certianly sees no good coming from affordable housing in the form of high-rises ever again.

Most cities restrict heights to preserve neighborhoods. Chicago is no different. Plenty of classic Chicago Gilded-age greystones and brick awesome housing there too that can bring high $$$ today.

This Crain's Chicago Business link will allow a limited free views of some examples of the affordable infill there.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...snt-look-usual

Another link showing Chicago's choice for affordable housing.

https://www.aiachicago.org/events/fi.../#.XyHEkRgpB0o

The neighborhood has some great older existing housing also.

A new project with a urban smaller Walmart here.

https://www.officespace.com/il/chica...tage-grove-ave

Old 07-29-2020, 01:43 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
The University of Chicago has been kept in check by a long standing agreement with the city to not encroach south of 61st into Woodlawn but that is easing some. The university has made some investments in Woodlawn along 63rd and on Cottage Grove. They are investing in the Obama Library to help spur further revitalization of Woodlawn but lawsuits by park preservationists and hostile community organizations have turned the process into a disaster that has put the timeline years behind schedule.

Developers have been keen on Bronzeville for years and the redevelopment of the former Michael Resse Hospital site is still moving forward even during the pandemic. Bronzeville's proximity to the Loop and lakefront will eventually make it a highly desireable neighborhood. In terms of location and potential it is the south side's Lincoln Park. Dozens of homes there have sold for $700k which is an historic high. One problem with the area is they have allowed many heavily suburban retail complexes to be built that look absolutely ridiculous. The city's never-ending war on height has also kept new multi-family construction to low-rise 4-8 story buildings. The city should be replacing all of the high-rise public housing that was torn down with similar height and density. Bronzeville has the sprawling open fields to fill with tall, dense, urban uses. Unfortunately "New Urbanism" has won out for the areas rebuilding process and will continue especially with Maurice Cox as the city's planner who is an ardent supporter of the style.
Having seen both Martin Luther King Parkway in Bronzeville and the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, I'm not so sure that a boulevard lined with 8-story-high apartment buildings would be a setback.

Those public housing towers were the very "chunks of Radiant Garden City" Jane Jacobs so sagely criticized, and I certainly wouldn't want them brought back in that form.

I'm sure that's not what you wish either: I suspect you have in mind something more like Third Avenue on Manhattan's East Side, where 15- to 25-story apartment buildings with ground level retail define the streetscape.

Provided they have setbacks like the pre-1970 New York apartment towers did, this might not be all that bad, but frankly, the Grand Concourse looks plenty urban, and I'm not convinced that adopting the New Urbanist stance along Bronzeville's thoroughfares so that they ended up resembling that street would be all that bad. (Just make sure there's some retail on the street floor where appropriate and the zoning allows.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City