Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one
North Philly 80 59.26%
South side of Chicago 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 02:59 PM

552 posts, read 408,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
But that height is what most housing is in the area. The city certianly sees no good coming from affordable housing in the form of high-rises ever again.

Most cities restrict heights to preserve neighborhoods. Chicago is no different. Plenty of classic Chicago Gilded-age greystones and brick awesome housing there too that can bring high $$$ today.

This Crain's Chicago Business link will allow a limited free views of some examples of the affordable infill there.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...snt-look-usual

Another link showing Chicago's choice for affordable housing.

https://www.aiachicago.org/events/fi.../#.XyHEkRgpB0o

The neighborhood has some great older existing housing also.

A new project with a urban smaller Walmart here.

https://www.officespace.com/il/chica...tage-grove-ave

Bronzeville doesn't need to be preserved to the scale of greystones and the notion that developments must "fit the character" of the neighborhood is just NIMBY jargon for keeping areas low-density and low-rise. There are already 25-30 mid and righ-rise buildings in the neighborhood and many more more once stood. The city should take restrictions away and allow for modern mid and high-rises with higher quality design and more urban intergration than the towers-in-a-park format. The New Urbanism infill like "Oakwood Shores" that has sprawled over a large area of Bronzeville is terribly bland and fails to create a vibrant high intensity urban environment. There's entirely too much focus on open space and human scale today that contributes to the sleepy subruban feel. The Gold Coast offers a much better urban experience and illustrates high-rises and historic homes coexisting.

Chicago's goal should be building at a scale and desnity worthy of second city status and not restricting development to pander to single-family home-owners. Restoring the street-grid and allowing for tall buildings would do wonders to enhance the neighborhood's attractiveness.

These banal 4-8 story boxes with ground floor retail that have swept the country are completely soulless and do not offer high quality urbanism.

SouthBridge, Chicago: These types of projects below are totally unambitious and beneath Chicago's architectual heritage. These are the types of housing that Dallas, Denver, Seattle etc. are building ad infinitum. Chicago should be replicating classic high quality urban spaces like Fulton Market is doing with lot-to-lot development on a grid. Bronzeville is so far following an even lower scale Cabrini Green revitalization model.

Last edited by IronWright; 07-29-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 07:54 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
From Chicago and I’m visiting Philly right now. I absolutely love the vibe and feel for the city, I haven’t been since 2014. With all of that out of the way, North Philly is filthy and that’s not to degrade anyone from that area. There’s no way, absolutely no way you would get me to move north of Temple University. Anyone picking north Philly over the south side of Chicago I’m very sure you haven’t been to both!

Old 08-02-2020, 12:15 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
From Chicago and I’m visiting Philly right now. I absolutely love the vibe and feel for the city, I haven’t been since 2014. With all of that out of the way, North Philly is filthy and that’s not to degrade anyone from that area. There’s no way, absolutely no way you would get me to move north of Temple University. Anyone picking north Philly over the south side of Chicago I’m very sure you haven’t been to both!
You need to keep traveling north, up beyond Erie Avenue.

Once you cross Roosevelt Boulevard, the neighborhoods look a lot less run down.

And once you cross roughly Grange Street, they get really decent.

The neighborhood bounded by roughly Godfrey Avenue on the south, Cheltenham Avenue (the city line) on the north, Broad Street on the west and 5th Street on the east is probably the most affluent Black neighborhood in the city — I refer to East Oak Lane as "the city's best-kept secret."

Its more workaday counterpart to Broad Street's west, West Oak Lane, is also attractive and well-maintained.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:22 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You need to keep traveling north, up beyond Erie Avenue.

Once you cross Roosevelt Boulevard, the neighborhoods look a lot less run down.

And once you cross roughly Grange Street, they get really decent.

The neighborhood bounded by roughly Godfrey Avenue on the south, Cheltenham Avenue (the city line) on the north, Broad Street on the west and 5th Street on the east is probably the most affluent Black neighborhood in the city — I refer to East Oak Lane as "the city's best-kept secret."

Its more workaday counterpart to Broad Street's west, West Oak Lane, is also attractive and well-maintained.
Fair enough, let me ask you....what’s the deal with all of the garbage on the streets in north Philly? Are the garbage trucks privatize and not owned by the city?

Old 08-02-2020, 07:32 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
This.

There is no way anyone in real life with a modicum of normalcy is choosing North Philly. The results of this poll are a CD urbanophile thing.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, let me ask you....what’s the deal with all of the garbage on the streets in north Philly? Are the garbage trucks privatize and not owned by the city?
If you're talking about right now:

City sanitation workers have been calling out sick in protest over what they see as inadequate COVID protection being provided by the Streets Department. The city Streets Department's sanitation division picks up household trash from all residential buildings with (I think) four or fewer units.

Trash collection has been running behind schedule from anywhere from one to four days in most city neighborhoods. And that includes city trash cans at intersections.

The city just announced it was hiring some private contractors to help pick up trash.

If you're talking about over time:

This city has had a reputation for slovenliness that extends well beyond North Philly: I remember walking down East Passyunk Avenue in South Philly as trash blew around me when I lived in Center City and shopped on occasion at the Acme supermarket there.

Perpetual anti-litter campaigns seem to make little difference. The only places where you don't see trash on the streets are the areas where special services districts perform additional cleanup (Center City most notably; University City has one such district, and Germantown used to.)

Old 08-02-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This.

There is no way anyone in real life with a modicum of normalcy is choosing North Philly. The results of this poll are a CD urbanophile thing.
North Philadelphia extends from Vine Street all the way to the northern city line.

I refer you to my response to noid_1985 upthread. It takes in a wide variety of neighborhoods.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Its publicly collected by the city. The trash collection schedule has been temporarily in disarray throughout the city due to an uptick of covid cases among sanitation workers.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Quote:
I'd say most voting is on gangland crime infamous with Chicago over aesthetics of blocks or homes or cleanliness or lack of any. Also a East Coast city vs a Midwest one. Long running thread also.

Current Philly street conditions overall but far worst in areas seen more as hoods is nothing new. Over a decade ago the city stopped regular street-sweeper and cleanings and basically just seasonal aspects without a fleet of trucks anymore in cost cutting and constant unhappiness of tight row neighborhood residents, claiming no place to move their vehicles too. That was a key to the end also.

** This year in trash pick-up delays. Did not create the conditions on streets where street-sweepers are rare since 2009.

2019 link - Will Philly Ever Get Its Act Together on Street Sweeping?

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...eping-program/

from link.

- street-sweeping pilot program, which launched in April 2019 and covered six particularly litter-plagued neighborhoods. The pilot was part of Mayor Kenney’s campaign promise to bring back residential street sweeping, which had been a casualty of 2009’s budget cuts and also Philadelphian's bellyaching about moving their cars for weekly sweepers.
- While the city mulls the long-term feasibility of the blowers, why so many extremely exhausting years of sturm und drang when countless other crowded cities -- New York! Chicago! Boston! Baltimore! -- rely on mechanical sweepers to clean their streets, with their citizens dutifully moving their cars to accommodate them? What is it about us that makes this so hard?

*** consider Boston, whose auto intensity and narrow streets mirror Philadelphia’s. There, residents have weathered sweeping-related parking restrictions without violent revolution for some 30 years now.

Last years new program on the South Side Philly of leaf-blowers blowing under cars seems rediculous, though after dust and mess it did leave streets cleaner. The pilot actually used a mixture of mechanical sweepers, as well as laborers who will blow trash into the street, from the curb under cars where the sweepers will then pick it up, so folks don’t have to move their cars.

Center City does have regular cleaning by businesses paid private firms with mostly small cleaners able to do narrow blocks and onto sidewalks and better neighborhoods seem to keep their streets cleaner at least.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/str...-20190503.html

Last year city finally bought new street-sweeper trucks. Big 9-ft wide jobs that then did not fit down most streets and probably any alleys where they had them. Kind of a boondoggle it seems like someone had no common-sense?

$2.73 million later, Philly realizes street sweepers are too wide for city’s narrow blocks.

https://whyy.org/articles/2-73-milli...narrow-blocks/

The city currently schedules portions of 33 major streets for overnight sweeping and eight additional routes for early morning cleaning. These a.m. routes feature parking restrictions that people are to move their cars.
Reporting showed that the city was hitting its morning routes just 25 percent of the time, even though many neighboring residents are still ticketed by the Philadelphia Parking Authority nearly every week.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-str...arking-issues/

The other issues is Philly already had trash pick-up problems and the Pandemic made it worst with sick workers and major delays the cause then trash bag pick-ups to continually get behind.

***Luckily none of this makes National News. NYC is notorious for trash bags on streets and stench of leaking bags etc. So Philly apparently got some out from being called on it Nationally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago gets more hype for gang on gang killings and this years uptick, even with better not cut street-cleaning services. It seems to have less delays in trash pick-up where the cities full alley system helps in easy storage in city furnished lidded bins though the alleys and Garbage trucks that pick-up though there.

Even for this thread. That seems meaningless or level of green-space, or street cleanliness in the residential blocks especially. Chicago's problems are deemed Chronic and worst then other issues while Philadelphia's under is called just old stereotyping and improving with a positive future in over Chicago's South/West side. In some ways a double-standard though shootings and murders are not a small chronic issue. But where the Chicago does shine better, it cannot overcome that scourge that Philly's issues get less hyped at least outside the city.

Chicago has a proactive map of streets that get bi-monthly or more cleanings even in hoods.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...r_tracker.html

Find out when street sweepers are coming to your neighborhood city portal.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/c...g-schedule-map

- Street sweeping normally began on Monday, April 1, in Chicago seasonly. Through mid-November, bright orange temporary parking restrictions will be posted the day before sweeping service is scheduled to begin on any street to ensure curb-to-curb cleaning.
- Some arterial streets have permanently-posted signs that specify a once-per-week period when parking is prohibited for street sweeping.
- Street sweeping requests can be made to city's request line at 3-1-1 or online.
- weather permitting it can go on thru Dec on main streets even.

This year from the Pandemic has been a bit different apparently. But still sweepers are out.

After aldermen push back, some residential street sweeping is back on again

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/3/...ng-city-budget

City has its full-sized Blue trucks and smaller blue trucks in a full fleet that was not decimated. A empty lot clean-up program costing millions with reporting them especially.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...ollection.html

- Now, the truck crews skip their last dumping and remain longer on their routes. Parked fully loaded at the end of the day, they are then shuttled to their dump sites by specially assigned second-shift drivers. This results in greater productivity from the laborers on each truck.

City link offers
- Report a Missed Garbage Pick-up
- Request Additional Garbage Carts
- Report Garbage Cart Missing or Stolen

*** Vast Majority of Chicagoans have Alleyways lined with the blue and black lidded trash bins that never have to be taken inside ......

alley by Eric Allix Rogers, on Flickr

alleyway by David Hwang, on Flickr

Old 08-03-2020, 04:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY disgusting ain't it?
I wonder how many of our peer cities are having this problem? I'll step out on a limb and bet that number is likely zero. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's most likely the usual incompetence of the folks in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City