Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one
North Philly 80 59.26%
South side of Chicago 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM

358 posts, read 621,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

It is far far better they removed the worst. ALSO EVERY STREETVIEW YOU SHOWED IS ....... CLEAN. Maybe Chicago should take the old Philly's founder William Penn's calling his city? His "GREENE COUNTRIE TOWN".
I concur because I'm confused. Were those Streetview images supposed to make southside Chicago look bad? Yeah, there are some abandoned buildings but overall the areas looked well maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 09:36 PM

171 posts, read 179,662 times
I accidentally put philidelphia before reading. Chicago's Southside has more murders then all of Philadelphia.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:28 PM

381 posts, read 349,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
My God is this a dumb and ignorant question
Agreed. Bunch of dudes want to claim the baddest hood

Goof

Old 01-29-2020, 10:45 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
I accidentally put philidelphia before reading. Chicago's Southside has more murders then all of Philadelphia.
Southside and Philadelphia are roughly the same size with around the same amount of homicides.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
North Philadelphia is more urban (albeit smaller), walkable, dense, superior architecture, and diverse than the Southside of Chicago.
The Southside of Chicago is more consistently aesthetically pleasing (from a non architectural standpoint) than North Philly thanks to having a greener environment and more diligent maintenance.

I'm going with North Philly. North Philly's advantages are more functionally practical attributes.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
I concur because I'm confused. Were those Streetview images supposed to make southside Chicago look bad? Yeah, there are some abandoned buildings but overall the areas looked well maintained.
thats what im saying. Some of the architecture in denser parts of the south side looks amazing too. Whole area seems pretty cohesive.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The first link provides some amazing images. That area is completely abandoned but with infrastructure like roads, sideways, and traffic lights still there and the grass is reasonably well cut: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7908...4!8i8192?hl=en. Construction of a new neighborhood could start tomorrow.

If you turn back the clock to 2012 you can still see the boarded up buildings: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7908...2!8i6656?hl=en. You have to give Chicago credit for cleaning up the blight.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:24 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
North Philadelphia is more urban (albeit smaller), walkable, dense, superior architecture, and diverse than the Southside of Chicago.
The Southside of Chicago is more consistently aesthetically pleasing (from a non architectural standpoint) than North Philly thanks to having a greener environment and more diligent maintenance.

I'm going with North Philly. North Philly's advantages are more functionally practical attributes.
I will "third" this. The Southside of Chicago does not have as many dilapidated buildings, trash and it has more greenery. However, there are a lot of things that give North Philadelphia and upward outlook that the Southside of Chicago lacks: namely its proximity to Center City, urbanity, architecture and the fact that it is in a revitalizing city. Chicago is more stagnant than Philadelphia which continues to improve and grow.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Southside and Philadelphia are roughly the same size with around the same amount of homicides.
The westside is the most murderous section of Chicago from a per capita perspective anyway. Just five neighborhoods(combined population of 226,328 using 2015 estimates) over there saw 145 of the 490 homicides in 2019.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:33 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
I was surprised this 2011 begun thread did continue. Glad my stand thru many threads. Was Chicago still maintains its hoods and street-sweeper service march thru November weather permitting.

Its grid is a good one that is more car friendly in future renewal. Chicago's Core outward still IS RENEWING AND NOT STAGNANT. Sadly, its Southside and into the Westside continue the exodus of African-Americans that the New Profesionss moving in. Still can't quite keep up with. Also the slowdown of Hispanic growth that also helped overcome losses in past years.

Gentrification has been making inroads on the Southside. As I said before too ...... it generally follows Hispanic areas that resettled once European Ethnic neighborhoods first. But basically the Shoreline outward. Also L lines.

Though this new decade ...... may not see more of these showed cleared out areas gain new infill in larger numbers. The coming decades probably will. Leaving plenty of land to rebuild the city with. I believe that future is bright.

Chicago was also lucky to have former warehousing and industrial areas around its Core that are becoming new neighborhoods still today and planned. What once separated the Core from its neighborhoods. Now is ongoing in joining up with them.

Plenty of issues to overcome as more and more of our cities grow in divides of richer and poorer .... that are not getting better very fast. Some worse. But while Philly removed less blight. It will gain restorations with gutting the old and infill.

Chicago has still plenty of intact neighborhoods on the Southside. That are intact and inside upgrading does the trick. Its bungalow belt has a huge portion of the Southside too. Much protected from too much changing of exteriors and adding upward now needs more matching integrity of its design. These areas still look great. Gangs and income levels and unemployment .... make them hoods.

Whether North Philly continues to renew faster the Chicago's South parts. Changes nothing in a future new portions of Chicago will arise again eventually. Making it look like a newer, greener, cleaner city that aids in perceptions already.

Its Core still booming and gaining corporate headquarter relocations and divisions of others for the Midwest. But it isn't a city that overbuilds inventory as some are. Most have a good % spoken for .... before construction whether residential or offices. Not mere speculating and then overbuilding becomes high in empty towers.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-31-2020 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City