Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anyhow which cities have the best collection of shopping districts that showcase the best the cities
Boston 11 15.94%
Chicago 33 47.83%
Los Angeles 21 30.43%
Mexico City 7 10.14%
Miami/Miami Beach 11 15.94%
Montreal 7 10.14%
New York 38 55.07%
San Francisco 20 28.99%
Toronto 12 17.39%
Washington, D.C. 5 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Where's soho on this list?
It's not ranking the most expensive shopping corridors overall, it's comparing the most expensive shopping corridors in each of the major U.S. markets.

If you just ranked the most expensive retail U.S. corridors, the list would be 100% NYC, because of density and foot traffic.

There are corridors in Brooklyn where retail goes for $500 a ft. In Manhattan $1,000 a ft. is not unusual even in less than prime locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Top 5:

NYC
Beverly Hills
Chicago
Toronto
Boston

I actually think Boston has stronger offerings than Toronto, but with the loss of Louis Boston, it's a little too dependent on malls (Prudential Center and Copley Place).

Old 11-19-2017, 10:37 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Boston is a bit better than Toronto, IMO. More luxury retail, and Newbury Street doesn't really have a Toronto equivalent.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Boston is a bit better than Toronto, IMO. More luxury retail, and Newbury Street doesn't really have a Toronto equivalent.
I’m inclined to agree with you about quality. Nothing in Toronto has Newberry Street’s charms, but the actual retail on Newberry itself has sort of declined. Way too much of Boston’s high-end shopping is in the malls now, do I dinged it a little.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:20 AM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m inclined to agree with you about quality. Nothing in Toronto has Newberry Street’s charms, but the actual retail on Newberry itself has sort of declined. Way too much of Boston’s high-end shopping is in the malls now, do I dinged it a little.
It's good to have the high end shopping but I'm glad it's not all on newbury. I like the boutiques and local restaurants/coffee shops/art galleries on newbury with a good amount of major retailers/designers thrown in. That's always been what's good about newbury. If it was all high end there would be less foot traffic.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 AM

The least amount of foot traffic on newbury is arlington to Berkeley where there is burberry and all that stuff. Now they're putting a bvlgari over there. Overall with the amazing back bay architecture and volume of stores the back bay offers a unique shopping experience.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It's not ranking the most expensive shopping corridors overall, it's comparing the most expensive shopping corridors in each of the major U.S. markets.

If you just ranked the most expensive retail U.S. corridors, the list would be 100% NYC, because of density and foot traffic.

There are corridors in Brooklyn where retail goes for $500 a ft. In Manhattan $1,000 a ft. is not unusual even in less than prime locations.

Ok

Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
And Beverly Hills, functionally, operates like suburban downtowns. You drive there. Parking is usually free the first few hours, or free with validation. The department stores all have adjacent parking lots, and the real main retail entrances face the parking, not the street.
I haven't been to any department stores in BH, but what you describe doesn't match with my experiences shopping there. Shopping in BH means either searching for street parking or parking in a public garage somewhere (which are not free and don't vallidate) and then walking to whatever store you want to go to, whose entrances all face the streets. It is an urban shopping experience, and while there may be one small outdoor shopping center, 95% of the rest of downtown BH is small to medium storefronts.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Quote:
BH is a suburb, obviously. You just said it was a separate city, which is the definition of a suburb.

The point is it isn't the core, or anywhere close to the core. It's more like a Greenwich, CT or Great Neck, NY than a Fifth or Madison Ave. Upscale suburban retail.

This isn't true. The very core of BH is a shopping mall, called the Rodeo Collection. It's outdoor, but it's a mall.

Agreed it's one of the best upscale shopping districts in the U.S., but, to me, wouldn't count for the purposes of this thread because not the core shopping district.

And just because there aren't traditional malls doesn't mean it's a downtown core. One has nothing to do with the other. I would say the vast majority of suburban downtowns don't have malls.

And Beverly Hills, functionally, operates like suburban downtowns. You drive there. Parking is usually free the first few hours, or free with validation. The department stores all have adjacent parking lots, and the real main retail entrances face the parking, not the street.

Please take it from someome who works in Beverly Hills 5 days a week. You don't know what you're talking about. 99% of Beverly Hills shopping is on the street. The Rodeo Collection is not the core of Beverly Hills shopping. Have you ever been? The three big stores, Saks, Barney's and Neiman Marcus do offer parking but so what. Many of the areas on the list do. But most of Beverly Hills parking is at meters on the street. It is not like Greenwich Ct being 35 miles from NY. People certainly do drive here but many are on the 6 or 7 metro bus routes that go through Beverly Hills and some even walk.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:42 PM

72 posts, read 35,174 times
Quote:
BH is a suburb, obviously. You just said it was a separate city, which is the definition of a suburb.

The point is it isn't the core, or anywhere close to the core. It's more like a Greenwich, CT or Great Neck, NY than a Fifth or Madison Ave. Upscale suburban retail.

This isn't true. The very core of BH is a shopping mall, called the Rodeo Collection. It's outdoor, but it's a mall.

Agreed it's one of the best upscale shopping districts in the U.S., but, to me, wouldn't count for the purposes of this thread because not the core shopping district.

And just because there aren't traditional malls doesn't mean it's a downtown core. One has nothing to do with the other. I would say the vast majority of suburban downtowns don't have malls.

Are you familiar at all with Los Angeles? This seems to be a common approach to American cities - if it's multi-nodal, accuse it of being suburban to handicap it in comparisons like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City