Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America
New York CIty 6 4.69%
Toronto 11 8.59%
San Francisco 5 3.91%
Boston 14 10.94%
Chicago 20 15.63%
Montreal 9 7.03%
Vancouver 28 21.88%
Seattle 22 17.19%
Philadelphia 8 6.25%
Houston 5 3.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:37 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle but voted for Vancouver. Guess I broke the tie.

Healthcare and urban form, plus an edge in scenery, transit, and international feel were my reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Definitely the language barrier is a large one. There are simply far fewer people who have any degree of fluency in French than there is in English. For us that can speak French (and aren’t as intimidated by the cold), Montreal is an extremely attractive city. Not necessarily for any particular romanticism, but for simply being a good, sizable urban city with the jobs, walkability, and infrastructure that are good in comparison to most North American cities and a cost of living that is quite good among such peer cities.
I don't speak any French, and never had any trouble during the brief stint I lived in Montreal a decade ago. Most French Canadians, and almost all immigrants, could speak English in Montreal from Plateau to all points west (basically most of the nice neighborhoods on the island. The only time I had an issue was trying to buy batteries at a gas station in a smaller town between Montreal and Quebec City.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
It is not a nightmare I agree but if Montreal was so plug and play for English only speakers they would not continue to move away more than they move in. Often citing language reasons.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm really really surprised at the love Montreal and Vancouver seem to get as compared to Toronto.

Toronto is just an incredible town. Much like Chicago, but without some of the cons. It seems like it can be an afterthought on this forum.
But Toronto is basically a second rate Chicago with significantly inferior architecture and with an improving, but still significantly inferior waterfront.

People make way too big of a deal about the crime in Chicago, you are more likely to get killed in an auto accident in either of these cities than shot in Chicago.

Montreal is unique enough that it isn't a second rate anything.

I'm not saying Toronto doesn't have a high quality of life, and it probably is underrated by Americans, but I personally liked Montreal and QBC so much better it isn't even funny. I've never been to Vancouver, but I love Seattle and grew up in the NW so I would probably also like it more than Toronto.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Architecture only has a secondary importance for quality of life.

It is certainly less important than quality of public services like schools - and on this Toronto clearly tops Chicago.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:54 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Architecture only has a secondary importance for quality of life.

It is certainly less important than quality of public services like schools - and on this Toronto clearly tops Chicago.
Sure, but that only matters if I both had kids and planned on sending them to public schools neither of which applies to me.

Chicago's superior public space in the form of lakeside parks is a quality of life thing tho.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:09 PM

615 posts, read 598,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Sure, but that only matters if I both had kids and planned on sending them to public schools neither of which applies to me.

Chicago's superior public space in the form of lakeside parks is a quality of life thing tho.
Toronto has over 2x more park land per capita than Chicago. It also has the Toronto islands which Chicago has no competition for.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is not a nightmare I agree but if Montreal was so plug and play for English only speakers they would not continue to move away more than they move in. Often citing language reasons.
The only language issue I've heard of is forcing English Speaking kids in to French schools. The bigger reason English speakers leave more than they move in is that Montreal has lagged the rest of Canada in growth and economic opportunities for 50 years. If you're fluent in English, you can get a job anywhere else in Canada that you want, plus get a higher salary and pay lower taxes. If your English isn't great and you only speak French, those same opportunities aren't available, so you stay put.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The only language issue I've heard of is forcing English Speaking kids in to French schools. The bigger reason English speakers leave more than they move in is that Montreal has lagged the rest of Canada in growth and economic opportunities for 50 years. If you're fluent in English, you can get a job anywhere else in Canada that you want, plus get a higher salary and pay lower taxes. If your English isn't great and you only speak French, those same opportunities aren't available, so you stay put.
The school issue is a non sequitur for native anglo Montrealers as their rights to free English schools from k-phd are grandfathered. That is not the reason.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Schools do matter to most people as about 85 pc of us will have some form of parental relationship with a child in our lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City