Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America
New York CIty 6 4.69%
Toronto 11 8.59%
San Francisco 5 3.91%
Boston 14 10.94%
Chicago 20 15.63%
Montreal 9 7.03%
Vancouver 28 21.88%
Seattle 22 17.19%
Philadelphia 8 6.25%
Houston 5 3.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 04:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m all for more greenspace in Chicago, and that has been slowly happening, but it’s hard to deny that those lakeside parks in Chicago are fantastic and fairly well-integrated into the urban fabric of the city.

Right, and the bilingual environment Montreal offers is great as bilingual education is in general.
Chicago has some very nice parks but no answer for Toronto’s Islands...
also Vancouver is pretty darn good too, even has palm trees!

Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America-fdc5107a-1c7f-4da9-ab2c-04cc2f8bb053.jpeg

Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America-de3cad3a-e33c-4c45-846d-ee213fd94bb5.jpeg

Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America-a67201b3-8c78-479c-8fd1-ea393d190652.jpeg

Cities With the Highest Quality of Life in North America-eb29200b-3fe9-46ec-b043-873618ebe2c9.jpeg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:56 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Seattle Vancouver
The cost of housing in Vancouver ( beyond ridiculous ) should immediately eliminate that city from the competition. Your quality of life living of being forced to live a box, no matter how good the town is, makes that quality of life horrible. Not everyone has a million dollars to plunk down on a house.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:08 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Vancouver looks gorgeous. From photos I’ve seen it looks like it has an amazing park system that is well integrated with the urban core and is surrounded by beautiful scenery. I’m not sure why it always gets a lot of hate on here — from both Americans and Canadians alike. But then again, I’ve never been there, although I do really want to go.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
It gets knocked for housing costs, a economic opportunity relative to some cities, and being half again as rainy as Seattle. It's quality of life is outstanding if you get beyond those things.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
Ah, you forgot the "none of the above" button. Quality of life is tightly coupled with affordability. That varies by family. Affordability means having the ability for you and your family to participate in the many opportunities all large metros offer.

Another factor , in my personal opinion dealing with snarled traffic every day would be a major detractor of QOL.

Since there is discussion up tread about parks I'll just leave this here

10 ten cities with best parks (2016):

1. Minneapolis
2. St. Paul
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Arlington, Virginia
5. San Francisco
6. Portland, Oregon
7. New York
8. Irvine, California
9. Boston
10. Cincinnati (tie)
10. Madison, Wisconsin (tie)

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-b...ies-for-parks/
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/bes...d-ranking-2016
A best ten list that ONLY looks at parks in US cities, doesn't really belong in a thread talking about all of North America.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:55 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quality of life is subjective. I find Seattle and Vancouver to be rather isolated from everything, even though the surroundings are pretty.

Heck, even San Francisco feels isolated to me.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The cost of housing in Vancouver ( beyond ridiculous ) should immediately eliminate that city from the competition. Your quality of life living of being forced to live a box, no matter how good the town is, makes that quality of life horrible. Not everyone has a million dollars to plunk down on a house.
If you are approaching QOL as a newcomer to Vancouver with the intention of buying, then yes, your ability to do things that cost money will affect your QOL. However, there are a lot of things that don't cost money to enhance your QOL.

IF you take it from my stance, one who bought in Vancouver when housing was much more affordable, my QOL is very high.

Saying " forced to live in a box " shows to me that you approach housing totally different than we do. People all over the world prefer to live in condo's and or apartments, rather than single family homes. Not everyone is looking for that.

I can tell you, the " box " I live in is done to a very high standard, has amazing views, a lovely back garden, numerous smaller parks with 2 massive ones, Stanley Park within walking distance, and Pacific Spirit Park a bike ride away, shops, restaurants, cinema's, bars, hospital, 2 stadiums, several beaches, an amazing 29k seawall, views of ocean and mountains on my doorstep, and on and on.

I can walk to over 10 large grocery stores, scores of smaller food shops and bakeries. Large department stores are also a few minute walk away.

The metro station is 1 minute away.

The things that make my life better IMO is the ability to enjoy the nature in the city, and close by. It doesn't cost me anything to walk down to forested trails in Stanley Park and recharge myself. It costs nothing to breath in fresh ocean air, it costs nothing to except the cost of food, to have a picnic on the beach 3 minutes from my front door. These are just some of the things, people calculate in QOL. It's not all about the latest smartphone.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Amen to that. The West End is urban heaven.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM

615 posts, read 599,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If you are approaching QOL as a newcomer to Vancouver with the intention of buying, then yes, your ability to do things that cost money will affect your QOL. However, there are a lot of things that don't cost money to enhance your QOL.

IF you take it from my stance, one who bought in Vancouver when housing was much more affordable, my QOL is very high.

Saying " forced to live in a box " shows to me that you approach housing totally different than we do. People all over the world prefer to live in condo's and or apartments, rather than single family homes. Not everyone is looking for that.

I can tell you, the " box " I live in is done to a very high standard, has amazing views, a lovely back garden, numerous smaller parks with 2 massive ones, Stanley Park within walking distance, and Pacific Spirit Park a bike ride away, shops, restaurants, cinema's, bars, hospital, 2 stadiums, several beaches, an amazing 29k seawall, views of ocean and mountains on my doorstep, and on and on.

I can walk to over 10 large grocery stores, scores of smaller food shops and bakeries. Large department stores are also a few minute walk away.

The metro station is 1 minute away.

The things that make my life better IMO is the ability to enjoy the nature in the city, and close by. It doesn't cost me anything to walk down to forested trails in Stanley Park and recharge myself. It costs nothing to breath in fresh ocean air, it costs nothing to except the cost of food, to have a picnic on the beach 3 minutes from my front door. These are just some of the things, people calculate in QOL. It's not all about the latest smartphone.
The condos are really underrated. Solid concrete so no noise, great views, modern interior design, secure underground parking, close to urban center with everything within walking distance, and relatively affordable. This type of lifestyle in Seattle or San Francisco or Chicago would cost in the millions to get into.

Most are also built close to or on the skytrain, which is very convenient. Vancouver's public transport is also a cut above most north american cities (I think it was ranked third).

Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM

San Francisco is on Vancouver's cost tier. Seattle is maybe 50% of the cost. (Caveat...Washington state has condo liability laws that have choked off most construction, so those values are at a premium...something like 95% of our greater Downtown boom has been rentals.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City