Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially southern?
Charlotte 11 8.73%
Raleigh 9 7.14%
Richmond 23 18.25%
Hampton Roads 3 2.38%
Jacksonville 8 6.35%
Nashville 18 14.29%
Memphis 41 32.54%
New Orleans 14 11.11%
Austin 4 3.17%
San Antonio 1 0.79%
Birmingham 69 54.76%
Louisville 12 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'll also add, in a way, I think the music and tourism industries have given Memphis a more cosmopolitan feel than the typical southern city, which is why I also selected Birmingham over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I can definitely see that, but I guess I'm simply most familiar with the Memphis that exists outside of Beale Street. In fact, the touristy aspects of the city are a complete afterthought for me.

Any other less than southern qualities that Memphis has can probably be attributed to its larger size. I think Birmingham being one of the smallest cities on the poll is influencing its perceived southernness.
It's a tough one, especially between Birmingham and Memphis.

I personally chose Birmingham, but when you look into it, it really depends on an individual's perception of what's really "Southern." Birmingham's a Gritty/Industrial City, The Architecture is different, It's Hilly, etc. The only way I can see Birmingham being "Southern" is by it's local African American culture.

African American's came to the Memphis area as Freed Slaves, some even fought in the Civil War, by 1870 Memphis had a Black Population of 15,000, Birmingham was incorporated in 1871. On the other hand, a LARGE portion of Birmingham's Black population came throughout the Great Migration, meaning a LOT of the Birmingham natives, aren't "really" from the region initially.

Quote:
While excluded from the best-paying industrial jobs, African Americans joined the migration of residents from rural areas to the city, drawn by economic opportunity.
So African American Culture/Presence might be more embedded in Memphis more than it is in Birmingham. I mean Birmingham has some BOMB BBQ, but it's not like Memphis BBQ. Birmingham has a decent African American Music Scene, Produced some legends like Sun Rah and etc. But it's nothing like Memphis and it's Music History.

I just feel like the Southern essence is much stronger in Memphis; even with the accents. There's no distinct accent in Birmingham, so the younger generation are sounding like whoever the hell they was influenced by growing up.

Birmingham Youth "Accent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inH9O-OyUBs

Memphis Youth Accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMIw4ZoVOhg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I was thinking the same thing, especially the hunting, fishing, and horsemanship. Those are definitely not unique to the South.
Politically the South has very strong Counties compared to the Northeast and Midwest, to the point where it's almost confusing why towns exist in the first place.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
New Orleans not 'quintessentially Southern'? Remove the tourist factor and it doesn't get more Southern. No cities in the South adhere more tenaciously to their Southern traditions than NOLA with the possible exceptions of Charleston, Richmond and Savannah.
What are you basing this on? It's about the accurate as saying Miami is a quintessential Caribbean city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Same as the other cities I mentioned.

Strict boundaries with regard to caste
Emphasis on bloodlines, family prestige and upbringing
Marrying within your circle
Maintaining the family home for generations
Manners and savior faire
Having money, but not talking about it
Antiquity
Wariness of outsiders
Exclusion via clubs and organizations
Hunting, fishing and horsemanship
God (but only if He's Protestant), Guns and Faded Glory
Maybe in 1880.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What are you basing this on? It's about the accurate as saying Miami is a quintessential Caribbean city.

Maybe in 1880.
not only that but Southern Rich People were notoriously lavish, and Horsemanship is more of a western thing. So some of those things aren't even Southern characteristics.

Also the family stuff is very Eastern not Southern, for example Boston had a history of deep family ties and an aristocracy of sort as well. Generally not as financially different as the yeoman farmer as the rich in the South until the 1830s/40s and industrial revolution but it did exist.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM

841 posts, read 825,932 times
I agree with Memphis and Birmingham from this list. I would have a hard time choosing New Orleans because it is so different from other parts of the South. It's an indispensable part of the South, but the culture is unique. Heck, the people don't even have a Southern accent other than saying, "y'all." I've lived in all three of these cities, and moving from Memphis to New Orleans was quite a culture shock.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
not only that but Southern Rich People were notoriously lavish, and Horsemanship is more of a western thing. So some of those things aren't even Southern characteristics.

Also the family stuff is very Eastern not Southern, for example Boston had a history of deep family ties and an aristocracy of sort as well. Generally not as financially different as the yeoman farmer as the rich in the South until the 1830s/40s and industrial revolution but it did exist.
The family thing is present in New Orleans but only in the elite.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
I try to tell people all the time. Folks sleep on Birmingham as if it’s some stuck in the 1950s, backwoods city. Alabama’s center of gravity is an impressive example of what was and what is. If there were no Atlanta, I’d more than likely be in Birmingham. No offense, but y’all can have Nashville and Charlotte.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The family thing is present in New Orleans but only in the elite.
I am not saying it doesn't exist in the South but its much more tied to a cities age (which is roughly longitude) vs if its in the North or South.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I try to tell people all the time. Folks sleep on Birmingham as if it’s some stuck in the 1950s, backwoods city. Alabama’s center of gravity is an impressive example of what was and what is. If there were no Atlanta, I’d more than likely be in Birmingham. No offense, but y’all can have Nashville and Charlotte.
Birmingham's problem is a lack of jobs and also not being a state a capital. It's essentially the south's equivalent of Detroit.

Nashville at least has the benefit of being the state of Tennessee and the tourism / music industry, while Charlotte has finance.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Birmingham's problem is a lack of jobs and also not being a state a capital. It's essentially the south's equivalent of Detroit.
Maybe in 2008, but that's totally NOT true as of 2018 and going forward lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City