Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Pittsburgh
Minneapolis 108 59.34%
Pittsburgh 74 40.66%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 01:37 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Every city is both unique and similar. My daughter took a trip to Pittsburgh once, called us from her hotel late one evening. She and her DH were staying downtown. She told us it looked like Denver. My husband (not from there) did say "wait till she wakes up and sees those cliffs". But yeah, downtowns all look fairly similar. Minneapolis is unique/average, too.

For your list, what about Chicago, on the shore of that huge lake?
Yikes, I hope your daughter had a great visit to Pittsburgh, but it looks nothing like Denver! I guess if you are looking from a hotel mid rise in downtown, it is going to look similar to many downtowns in the USA. But that does not speak to Pittsburgh's distinct aesthetic as a city. And yes, every city is unique, but not every city is distinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 01:42 PM

853 posts, read 337,461 times
All of the legacy cities have strong institutions that took root between the Civil War and WWII. That is why cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore and Detroit have phenomenal art museums, orchestras etc. relative to their size compared to larger and more prosperous sunbelt cities.

I think because Minneapolis doesn't have row houses and never had a lot of heavy industry, people forget that it is also a legacy city. Minneapolis' rise to its relative position among American cities was in the 1890s, a decade or two before Detroit's. It also has the strong institutions that go with that.

Last edited by Somnifor; 05-03-2020 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 01:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
If you are not going to address my points, what is the point in replying to me specifically? That you heard "people saying about Pittsburgh, that no other city had public benefactors that donated money for museums..." is not relevant in a response to me, because I did not say that. I said Pittsburgh has exceptional cultural institutions for a city its size, and I stand by that. You are not refuting this claim so I will assume we are moving on.

I could pick Buffalo because it is the third closest in size to Pittsburgh in the 1950s. We were talking about peer cities at Pittsburgh's peak population, if you do remember. That would be the third closest peer. But I didn't, and chose its fourth closest peer instead, a larger city, for good measure.
Which points would you like me to address?

Why do you want to talk about Pittsburgh in 1950, 70 years ago now?

We've discussed this issue of Pittsburgh's size. It got a lot of those amenities because it once was a much bigger city. Even so, it was common in most cities for philanthropists to donate money for cultural institutions, something many Pittsburghers don't seem to understand.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:59 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times
Quote:
Which points would you like me to address?

Why do you want to talk about Pittsburgh in 1950, 70 years ago now?

We've discussed this issue of Pittsburgh's size. It got a lot of those amenities because it once was a much bigger city. Even so, it was common in most cities for philanthropists to donate money for cultural institutions, something many Pittsburghers don't seem to understand.
The points in my post, of course! Well, I don't care if we keep talking about Pittsburgh in the 1950s. It was you who bolded the sentence in my initial response (hence my "nitpicking" characterization) about Pittsburgh in its peak population. I have simply been engaging in a conversation with you after you replied to me.

Yes, it got those amenities because of its size, the success of the steel industry, and Carnegie's subsequent philanthropy. It is common, but not on the scale of which Pittsburgh achieved. I don't know for sure, but I think plenty of Yinzers could understand that other cities have cultural institutions. Seems like pretty common knowledge to me. I think they are just proud of the scale of their institutional offerings, of which I dock them nothing.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:00 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,957 times
Quote:
Every city is both unique and similar. My daughter took a trip to Pittsburgh once, called us from her hotel late one evening. She and her DH were staying downtown. She told us it looked like Denver. My husband (not from there) did say "wait till she wakes up and sees those cliffs". But yeah, downtowns all look fairly similar. Minneapolis is unique/average, too.

For your list, what about Chicago, on the shore of that huge lake?

I'd put Chicago pretty high on the list of un-average, just because of its size and history. maybe I'd put it in a tie with Miami and Philly, but those two have a more distinct unusual culture to me. the lake location is nice but not that untypical to be on a large body of water.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'd put Chicago pretty high on the list of un-average, just because of its size and history. maybe I'd put it in a tie with Miami and Philly, but those two have a more distinct unusual culture to me. the lake location is nice but not that untypical to be on a large body of water.
Fair enough, though L. Michigan is h-u-g-e and it is a big part of Chicago's identity. It's way bigger than L. Erie for ex. I don't know about the lakes' (two of them) influence on Detroit.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 885,937 times
Quote:
1. The weather. I don't think you can know just how that can get to you until you experience it.

2. Most people are from around there. Supposedly hard to make friends. (Never lived there but one of my kids does.)

3. As I said above, they just think they're the best EVER in everything. They're annoying.

4. Isolated. A long ways, especially west, to the next big city. Even to the east, Milwaukee is ~300 miles. Straight west, Portland OR, 1730 miles.
https://www.travelmath.com/cities-near/Minneapolis,+MN

5. Kind of boring topography. Nothing but flat to rolling hills.
I think this is the your 100th time stating that people in Mpls think they're the best at everything. Who were you around?

Old 05-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I think this is the your 100th time stating that people in Mpls think they're the best at everything. Who were you around?
Honestly, I came home from my first visit to my daughter there saying "How do they stand themselves, they're so perfect?" Mostly this is from family/extended family.

Surely you've seen stuff like this:
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/def...than-wisconsin
https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...4-9e9e8a875f4b
Plus much more.

Even if some of it is true, do you guys have keep yakking about it all the time?

Old 05-04-2020, 12:46 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
I think I like Pittsburgh's setting and historic homes more, but Minneapolis with St. Paul is the much larger city and metropolitan area so I'd suspect there's more to do.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:42 PM

1,351 posts, read 885,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think I like Pittsburgh's setting and historic homes more, but Minneapolis with St. Paul is the much larger city and metropolitan area so I'd suspect there's more to do.
Does Pittsburgh have an answer to St. Paul's summit hill neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City