Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 PM

147 posts, read 350,282 times

Advertisements

I think a better headline would be ‘DC MSA has officially overtaken Philadelphia MSA’.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:17 PM

209 posts, read 235,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_VA View Post
I think a better headline would be ‘DC MSA has officially overtaken Philadelphia MSA’.
That was like 2 years ago.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Because someone doesn't agree with you, THEY"RE wrong? You lose validity here. Baltimore and DC don't match the Chicago MSA. CSA, as you know, doesn't really count for anything. And, even if it did.....what does it matter?
Baltimore MSA - 2,808,175 (3.6% growth rate since 2010)

Washington MSA- 6,216,589 (10.3% growth rate since 2010)

Total- Baltimore MSA + DC MSA= 9,024,764 in 2017

Chicago MSA- 9,533,040 in 2017 (0.76% growth rate since 2010)

No they don't. Yet. But somewhere around 2023, they will "match" Chicago's MSA population. Not that it matters, but the CSA will be long past it by then. Remember we're just talking numbers here. In fact the Chicago MSA is actually losing population the last few years, which is one of the points of the article.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I get that the two metro's will always want to identify as separate, but this a huge understatement. Downtown Baltimore to DC is 38 miles, and 45 mins going the speed limit with no traffic.

The DC beltway to the Baltimore beltway is 20 miles apart and a 20 min drive, with no suburban gaps to be filled in between that aren't designated agricultural sites or the airport.

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.JCcu0j8lSL0

Chicago to Milwaukee is 92 miles city to city. There's no comparison.
Suburbs count, and they meet. Downtown to downtown is 90 miles....I can go from downtown Milwaukee to downtown Chicago, and not pass through any country, if I go along the lake. It's pretty much continuous, depending which route you take. AND, with Foxconn building in the lower Milwaukee suburbs, that might be what it takes, to turn the two MSAs into a CSA.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
I get that the two metro's will always want to identify as separate, but this a huge understatement. Downtown Baltimore to DC is 38 miles, and 45 mins going the speed limit with no traffic.

The DC beltway to the Baltimore beltway is 20 miles apart and a 20 min drive, with no suburban gaps to be filled in between that aren't designated agricultural sites or the airport.

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.JCcu0j8lSL0

Chicago to Milwaukee is 92 miles city to city. There's no comparison.
As a Maryland resident, I'm well aware of how close DC/B'more are, and how quickly you can theoretically get from one to the other on a hypothetical day that doesn't exists in which there isn't any traffic. However, as you pointed out, CSA is about multiple metros together, not city centers. MKE and CHI CSAs are directly adjacent (MSAs only have one hold-out county), and if you wanted to do an equivalent (or as best as you could) of a MKE "beltway" (I-43) to CHI "beltway" (I-294), these two are only ~20-30 miles further apart than the DC-B'more Beltways. As I said, with DC and B'more slightly closer together, they form a more cohesive suburban/exurban unit, but MKE-CHI are strongly linked, not much further apart, and also connected via a number of transit options. I disagree to say "there's no comparison," and I still stand by my former (and more important) point:

Chicago is bigger than DC, which are both bigger than Baltimore, and most Americans recognize it.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
As a Maryland resident, I'm well aware of how close DC/B'more are, and how quickly you can theoretically get from one to the other on a hypothetical day that doesn't exists in which there isn't any traffic. However, as you pointed out, CSA is about multiple metros together, not city centers. MKE and CHI CSAs are directly adjacent (MSAs only have one hold-out county), and if you wanted to do an equivalent (or as best as you could) of a MKE "beltway" (I-43) to CHI "beltway" (I-294), these two are only ~20-30 miles further apart than the DC-B'more Beltways. As I said, with DC and B'more slightly closer together, they form a more cohesive suburban/exurban unit, but MKE-CHI are strongly linked, not much further apart, and also connected via a number of transit options. I disagree to say "there's no comparison," and I still stand by my former (and more important) point:

Chicago is bigger than DC, which are both bigger than Baltimore, and most Americans recognize it.
As do I recognize that, but again for the sake of measuring a CSA I stand on what was stated. Also and again I do NOT think DC-Baltimore- NOVA is only "slightly" more cohesive. I think it is pretty significantly more cohesive than Chicago and Milwaukee, even if they have some urban strip connecting them.

The gap in level cohesion from Chicago-Milwaukee compared to DC-Bmore is equivalent the gap in cohesion level of DC-Baltimore vs the SF Bay area. Each comparison is another level. I think all of these should be graded differently.

South Florida Miami metro is another example of what you see in Chicago-MKE. The strip of land with buildings in between stretches for 200+miles! Port St Lucie and Vero Beach are almost central FL, they can't even get Miami television there. But it's more urbanized in between due to land constraints.

Looking at this objectively, Chicago-MKE may become one CSA in our lifetimes, but again I see it being extremely different.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-04-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty misleading and even disingenuous to refer to the Washington-Baltimore CSA as Greater Washington.
I knew they would start doing that which is why I always found CSA's laughable.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I knew they would start doing that which is why I always found CSA's laughable.
Well Washington is "greater" so...

Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Well Washington is "greater" so...
That's why I laugh.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
As do I recognize that, but again for the sake of measuring a CSA I stand on what was stated. Also and again I do NOT think DC-Baltimore- NOVA is only "slightly" more cohesive. I think it is pretty significantly more cohesive than Chicago and Milwaukee, even if they have some urban strip connecting them.

The gap in level cohesion from Chicago-Milwaukee compared to DC-Bmore is equivalent the gap in cohesion level of DC-Baltimore vs the SF Bay area. Each comparison is another level. I think all of these should be graded differently.

South Florida Miami metro is another example of what you see in Chicago-MKE. The strip of land with buildings in between stretches for 200+miles! Port St Lucie and Vero Beach are almost central FL, they can't even get Miami television there. But it's more urbanized in between due to land constraints.

Looking at this objectively, Chicago-MKE may become one CSA in our lifetimes, but again I see it being extremely different.
They aren't buildings, they're suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City