Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
People on CD are chomping at the bit to beat Chicago, it seems. Even if it happens, whatever city it is, won't equal the city that Chicago is. It's kind of funny, in a way. Things happen, and lots can change. Chicago is adding a different group of people, than the ones moving south. And, honestly, who needs to add 80 to 90 k people per year?? Bigger is not always better. AND, if we're talking 25 years down the road, Chicago and Milwaukee will, most likely, be merged, in some way.
This is simple mathematics, no one is chomping at any bit. Chicago will stay relevant as it has still today. And Chicago would have to add Milwaukee to its MSA, not CSA, in order to stay pace ahead of Dallas' growth, in 20-25 years.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is simple mathematics, no one is chomping at any bit. Chicago will stay relevant as it has still today. And Chicago would have to add Milwaukee to its MSA, not CSA, in order to stay pace ahead of Dallas' growth.
Your deluded, if you think things can't change in that amount of time. Dallas can keep spreading out, and adding millions. I guess that's what you want.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Your deluded, if you think things can't change in that amount of time. Dallas can keep spreading out, and adding millions. I guess that's what you want.
I don't live at or near Dallas, why would I give af about what they add to their population? None of this matters to me, I'm just stating what I believe are facts based on simple mathematics. It obviously seems to matter to you with such quick responses to the topic. I don't claim that Dallas will have more relevance or impact on the nation and continent than Chicago, but it will surpass its metro area population before 2040. It's just numbers.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
I don't live at or near Dallas, why would I give af about what they add to their population? None of this matters to me, I'm just stating what I believe are facts based on simple mathematics. It obviously seems to matter to you with such quick responses to the topic. I don't claim that Dallas will have more relevance or impact on the nation and continent than Chicago, but it will surpass its metro area population before 2040. It's just numbers.
And no one can predict what's going to happen. It's annoying, when people think they can. There can be many changes that come into play, that no one can foresee. For example, an earthquake in the Cascadia Subduction Zone area, immigration issues (especially in Texas, maybe), ocean waters encroaching on certain cities in certain states, etc. Water issues are already a problem in California, and I don't predict they will get better. The Great Lakes are predicted to grow when some of these things happen, due to the abundant water supply. All things no one can predict. Population that far out, is impossible to know. So, don't try to convince me that you do.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
And no one can predict what's going to happen. It's annoying, when people think they can. There can be many changes that come into play, that no one can foresee. For example, an earthquake in the Cascadia Subduction Zone area, immigration issues (especially in Texas, maybe), ocean waters encroaching on certain cities in certain states, etc. Water issues are already a problem in California, and I don't predict they will get better. The Great Lakes are predicted to grow when some of these things happen, due to the abundant water supply. All things no one can predict. Population that far out, is impossible to know. So, don't try to convince me that you do.
I think you're confusing 25 years with 50 years regarding estimates. I tend to agree that anything way too far in the future cannot be foreseen like that. Twenty five years can be just a prediction, but it's not that egregious at all to look at numbers and growth trends to estimate Dallas is clearly on pace to catch Chicago within that time frame, and I was actually being generous, because if the growth in Dallas continues even remotely to this pace it won't take close to 25 years.

The numbers are that drastic, you're literally talking about the largest metro growth by numeric population in the entire U.S. and comparing it to a metro with shrinking population and still adamant that in two and a half decades this won't be close. I could see if we were comparing a metro with mild or just decent growth, that would be a different story.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-05-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A CSA is actually a real thing, defined by our government. It generally defines combined metro areas that share commuting patterns, a social and cultural similarity, and in most cases, the same media, especially with radio/tv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

I see a lot of posters here that don't believe in them, but it doesn't matter, as they exist.

That said, I would tend to look at MSA's as a more exact population of a city and its suburbs, but a CSA does provide a bigger picture and is helpful for transportation planning, media decisions, and a general feel of a mass population within a given area.
It is interesting that you mention combined media markets as a reason for CSAs since the DC and Baltimore have mostly separate media markets. For example, Baltimore has local stations, including local news shows, for all of the networks.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
It is interesting that you mention combined media markets as a reason for CSAs since the DC and Baltimore have mostly separate media markets. For example, Baltimore has local stations, including local news shows, for all of the networks.
Baltimore is a separate metropolitan area. Of course we'll have our own networks, we're not in the DC Area. Our accents are different, the culture is different, hell the snowfall totals are different, the history is different, the local customs are different. Different sports teams (even teams for sports that we don't have, like the wizards get no love here). A trip to DC is "out of town" for MOST people in the Baltimore area.

Are people surprised by this? Do people come to Baltimore and think, The White House, Lincoln Memorial, Mambo Sauce, US Government, Go-go??

I'm really interested in knowing.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Interestingly enough the two cities and much of their metros had clear access to each other's TV markets up until mid 2000's when antennas went away. I grew up just outside of DC but had WBAL11, WJZ, Fox45 for Baltimore, in addition to the DC stations. You still today can get decent radio coverage in most parts of each metro of the other city as well. These two major cities are very close.

There is SOME combined media here however, like CSN-Mid Atlantic covered all things Baltimore and DC sports combined until last year and NBC bought Comcast out. MASN (Mid Atlantic Sports Network) is another example. Again relevant of a one region with two cities element more than two non related places. I don't think you'll ever see this with Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Interestingly enough the two cities and much of their metros had clear access to each other's TV markets up until mid 2000's when antennas went away. I grew up just outside of DC but had WBAL11, WJZ, Fox45 for Baltimore, in addition to the DC stations. You still today can get decent radio coverage in most parts of each metro of the other city as well. These two major cities are very close.

There is SOME combined media here however, like CSN-Mid Atlantic covered all things Baltimore and DC sports combined until last year and NBC bought Comcast out. MASN (Mid Atlantic Sports Network) is another example. Again relevant of a one region with two cities element more than two non related places. I don't think you'll ever see this with Chicago and Milwaukee.
You can get Philly media (radio at least) in the Baltimore area as well North and east of the city. You can get Baltimore stations in the Philly area.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You can get Philly media (radio at least) in the Baltimore area as well North and east of the city. You can get Baltimore stations in the Philly area.
I've gotten a staticky DC station in New Jersey right at the bridge believe it or not, so I don't doubt Baltimore's antennas reaching Philly region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City