Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is a separate metropolitan area. Of course we'll have our own networks, we're not in the DC Area. Our accents are different, the culture is different, hell the snowfall totals are different, the history is different, the local customs are different. Different sports teams (even teams for sports that we don't have, like the wizards get no love here). A trip to DC is "out of town" for MOST people in the Baltimore area.

Are people surprised by this? Do people come to Baltimore and think, The White House, Lincoln Memorial, Mambo Sauce, US Government, Go-go??

I'm really interested in knowing.
I think within the cities or inside their beltways this stands true, DC people refer to Baltimore as another "town" etc. That's all fine and dandy.

The issue is when you get to much of the in between suburbs that a lot of that gets blurred. Annapolis or Crofton and Bowie aren't "out of town" from each other. Same applies for many other suburbs between the two metros.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think within the cities or inside their beltways this stands true, DC people refer to Baltimore as another "town" etc. That's all fine and dandy.

The issue is when you get to much of the in between suburbs that a lot of that gets blurred. Annapolis or Crofton and Bowie aren't "out of town" from each other. Same applies for many other suburbs between the two metros.
I agree, but those areas have their distinct affiliations. Not only that, there's literally a change in the feel of the area going from Columbia which, feels distinctly Baltimore to Laurel, which feels distinctly DC (which I find kind of fascinating) even thought they're 10 miles apart, if that.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 AM

324 posts, read 403,023 times
Quote:
I agree, but those areas have their distinct affiliations. Not only that, there's literally a change in the feel of the area going from Columbia which, feels distinctly Baltimore to Laurel, which feels distinctly DC (which I find kind of fascinating) even thought they're 10 miles apart, if that.
What type of “feel/feelings” are you talking about? Is it gas? Is it something running up your leg?
The bottom line is that Balt and DC have overlapping suburbs and people who live in these suburbs can legitimately say they live in the Baltimore/Washington metro area!! I’ve been to that area many times and quite frankly it’s very difficult to determine where the “Washington area” ends and the “Baltimore area” begins, and vice-versa. Why is that? Because in REALITY the two cities are in the same metro area. And if “feel/feelings” is all you’ve got in terms of why the two cities are separate metros, then you have nothing.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
I get that, but let's be real, within an MSA you can find different areas that feel distinctly different. Does Waldorf really feel like Bethesda? Does Ellicott City feel like Towson or White Marsh? Heck does Newark NJ feel like Stamford, CT? Most suburbs of major cities are not very uniform, especially in the Eastern U.S.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 AM

451 posts, read 366,004 times
I had family in Silver Spring for 10 yrs. we’d visit them twice a year. We loved it because everyday we got to choose between DC and Baltimore for where to spend time.

The Chicago and Milwaukee are almost 100 miles from one another.

DC and Baltimore are only 40. That’s closer than Boston and Providence who always share stats.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I get that, but let's be real, within an MSA you can find different areas that feel distinctly different. Does Waldorf really feel like Bethesda? Does Ellicott City feel like Towson or White Marsh? Heck does Newark NJ feel like Stamford, CT? Most suburbs of major cities are not very uniform, especially in the Eastern U.S.

So outside of a statistic are you suggesting DC feels larger, or actually even remotely close to the size of Chicago?

So as a stat the CSA has a large population that is created by commuter overlap in the middle representing a small portion of the actual population. Ok so a CSA. Question is do you believe DC is remotely close to the size of Chicago

And honestly the overlap of Balt and DC is actually with fewer absolute commuters than NYC and Philly MSAs. Great if somehow this CSA metric larger than Chicago makes you feel better have at it...

Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I had family in Silver Spring for 10 yrs. we’d visit them twice a year. We loved it because everyday we got to choose between DC and Baltimore for where to spend time.

The Chicago and Milwaukee are almost 100 miles from one another.

DC and Baltimore are only 40. That’s closer than Boston and Providence who always share stats.
Who would say Boston is 25% larger than Philly or twice the size of Seattle like CSA’s indicate? Basically nobody.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM

451 posts, read 366,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Who would say Boston is 25% larger than Philly or twice the size of Seattle like CSA’s indicate? Basically nobody.
Well then it’s a good thing I didn’t say any of that

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Well then it’s a good thing I didn’t say any of that
Nobody considers Boston-Providence 1 metro as you said.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
What type of “feel/feelings” are you talking about? Is it gas? Is it something running up your leg?
The bottom line is that Balt and DC have overlapping suburbs and people who live in these suburbs can legitimately say they live in the Baltimore/Washington metro area!! I’ve been to that area many times and quite frankly it’s very difficult to determine where the “Washington area” ends and the “Baltimore area” begins, and vice-versa. Why is that? Because in REALITY the two cities are in the same metro area. And if “feel/feelings” is all you’ve got in terms of why the two cities are separate metros, then you have nothing.
Well, they're acknowledged as NOT being the same metro,which they aren't, but you're free to think as you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City