Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 PM

12,851 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

If we're going to count Baltimore for DC, why not include Milwaukee for Chicago?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If we're going to count Baltimore for DC, why not include Milwaukee for Chicago?
Check about 4 or 5 pages back.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,411,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Chicago is a great city but its city population will continue to decline. It wouldn't surprise me if Philly surpasses its population by 2050.
lol the kool-aid is strong tonight. Chicago has over a million more residents than Philly, and while Chicago is barely growing, Philly isn’t growing by leaps and bounds, either, and it has a lot of the same problems as Chicago. This is just wishful homerism at its finest.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's just as misleading and disingenuous as referring to the DC/Baltimore CSA as Greater Washington.

I give up. I don't even care enough to continue discussing it.
I feel like you do honestly. I don't care to have the discussion anymore.

As long as people are aware that the Baltimore Region is NOT the DMV, people can't talk CSAs till they're blue in the face.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Please tell us how you know this. Not taking into account, cities that have water issues, cities getting too expensive, etc. Please share your source...all-knowing, Kamms.
Well thank you for the compliment.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
And Chicago will be surpassed by a few to several notches by then as well.
Philly just started adding some people. What it is .... is it isn't losing its African-American population like Chicago. Staying steady. The Midwest/Great Lakes region .... stands a GREAT chance for future growth. Chicago's street-grid is one of the best in the Nation and parts of its gang-infested areas where population is declining. It still has great housing stock and where much blight was cleared out thru the 90s. (something Philly did little of) its street-grid and empty ltd are awaiting its renewal eventually.

Of course you know Chicago you lived a bit. You always found a way to lessen it. But complement your hometown of Cleveland and now in Philly you say little good of in in the Philly forum. .

But you made a choice and any city you make the most of your time there.

But adding hundreds to a couple thousand after years and decades of declines when even Chicago was adding..... really is no booming gonna surpass you/gun ho growth to make up millions. You know that as not stupid. Just the only comeback you could make and they took your bait.

I surely wish Philly well and to continue any positive growth it started. But Chicago WILL continue its transformation .... not all good but in losses overall. But gaining a highly educated % over those leaving. More blight removed improved its aesthetics that shows.

Chicago's credit is in its core especially ..... it just has clearly made soooo many great choices. It continues to rate highly on C-D and threads it is in.

DC region is growing steadily. You as a Philadelphian now. Watch and worry about the DC/Baltimore region ..... not Chicago. Houston is going to pass its city proper. DC/Baltimore whole region stands the much better chance at passing Chicagoland..... not Philly's region.

But then. Why are we even taking about Philly as if it is a Philly region vs Chicagoland thread in growth.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
A CSA is actually a real thing, defined by our government. It generally defines combined metro areas that share commuting patterns, a social and cultural similarity, and in most cases, the same media, especially with radio/tv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

I see a lot of posters here that don't believe in them, but it doesn't matter, as they exist.

That said, I would tend to look at MSA's as a more exact population of a city and its suburbs, but a CSA does provide a bigger picture and is helpful for transportation planning, media decisions, and a general feel of a mass population within a given area.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think Chicago is mighty and great, definitely more urban than all the above. However I think it is destined to completely drop out of the 3rd spot in each of the three MSA, CSA, and city proper.

Dallas will pass it in 25 years by MSA, no question. Houston by city in 5 years most likely, and CSA we might as well chalk up as pretty much done already.

Yea I think the two MSA's will stay separate for a while, and should stay separate.
25 years is more than enough time for MSA trajectories to change. I’m not saying it’s impossible for Chicago to lose its third place ranking—only that projections that far out can start faltering a bit.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
25 years is more than enough time for MSA trajectories to change. I’m not saying it’s impossible for Chicago to lose its third place ranking—only that projections that far out can start faltering a bit.
Dallas is adding 140,000 people a year, with 0 slow down in sight. Even with a slow down to something drastic like 80,000-90,000/ year a 50-60k difference from where it's at, it would breeze past Chicago's negative growth in population in a couple decades. 25 years out is not that far out when your Dallas and add 1.3 million people a decade for the past 3 decades, it will pass Chicago unless Chicago adds Milwaukee to its MSA. Even when Chicago's MSA begins to pick population growth back up, and I believe it will, it will not get back to adding 80,000-90,000/yr.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Dallas is adding 140,000 people a year, with 0 slow down in sight. Even with a slow down to something drastic like 80,000-90,000/ year a 50-60k difference from where it's at, it would breeze past Chicago's negative growth in population in a couple decades. 25 years out is not that far out when your Dallas and add 1.3 million people a decade for the past 3 decades, it will pass Chicago unless Chicago adds Milwaukee to its MSA. Even when Chicago's MSA begins to pick population growth back up, and I believe it will, it will not get back to adding 80,000-90,000/yr.
People on CD are chomping at the bit to beat Chicago, it seems. Even if it happens, whatever city it is, won't equal the city that Chicago is. It's kind of funny, in a way. Things happen, and lots can change. Chicago is adding a different group of people, than the ones moving south. And, honestly, who needs to add 80 to 90 k people per year?? Bigger is not always better. AND, if we're talking 25 years down the road, Chicago and Milwaukee will, most likely, be merged, in some way.

Last edited by Enean; 10-05-2018 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City