Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Most Blighted Neighborhoods?
Detroit 111 62.01%
Milwaukee 12 6.70%
Chicago 18 10.06%
Cleveland 27 15.08%
St Louis 53 29.61%
Philadelphia 27 15.08%
Pittsburgh 11 6.15%
Minneapolis 3 1.68%
Memphis 29 16.20%
Louisville 7 3.91%
Bridgeport, CT 12 6.70%
Buffalo 11 6.15%
Providence 3 1.68%
Baltimore 61 34.08%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Birmingham 13 7.26%
New Orleans 23 12.85%
NYC 6 3.35%
Flint, MI 38 21.23%
Indianapolis 5 2.79%
Kansas City 4 2.23%
Houston 7 3.91%
Las Vegas 4 2.23%
Phoenix 4 2.23%
LA 8 4.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 03:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times

Advertisements

This might be due to the fact that I grew up in the hood and still visit the hood frequently to this day (mostly for urban explorations), but Philly doesn't feel as blighted as the poll would suggest. Sure, there are some spots within the city that are TRULY blighted, as shown below:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9970...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9876...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9893...7i13312!8i6656

Despite these images, the thing to keep in mind is that few neighborhoods within the city are completely blighted; rather, blight in Philly is very much a block-by-block case. Even in Fairhill, considered one of the city's roughest neighborhoods, there are several blocks that are in-tact and very well-maintained. This was also the environment I grew up in: although I was living in a very low-income section of West Philly back in the 2000s, my block only had one abandoned house, everyone knew each other, the block captain was active, and the entire block used to have social events. This is a common theme across the city, as although Philly lost the second largest number of residents during deindustrialization in absolute terms, it only lost about a quarter of its population in relative terms. Other cities lost a MUCH larger percentage of their residents, which is why other cities are much more blighted.

As far as what I've seen, nothing compares to the blight that I experienced while walking the streets of West Baltimore. East Baltimore was also very much blighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 07:04 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This might be due to the fact that I grew up in the hood and still visit the hood frequently to this day (mostly for urban explorations), but Philly doesn't feel as blighted as the poll would suggest. Sure, there are some spots within the city that are TRULY blighted, as shown below:

Despite these images, the thing to keep in mind is that few neighborhoods within the city are completely blighted; rather, blight in Philly is very much a block-by-block case. Even in Fairhill, considered one of the city's roughest neighborhoods, there are several blocks that are in-tact and very well-maintained. This was also the environment I grew up in: although I was living in a very low-income section of West Philly back in the 2000s, my block only had one abandoned house, everyone knew each other, the block captain was active, and the entire block used to have social events. This is a common theme across the city, as although Philly lost the second largest number of residents during deindustrialization in absolute terms, it only lost about a quarter of its population in relative terms. Other cities lost a MUCH larger percentage of their residents, which is why other cities are much more blighted.

As far as what I've seen, nothing compares to the blight that I experienced while walking the streets of West Baltimore. East Baltimore was also very much blighted.
Philadelphia is in a unique position because it offers some of Americas best and most beautiful neighborhoods as well as some of the worst, but I do agree, there are other cities that far outdo Philadelphia's blight.

Also remember there are a lot of trolls on this board, so probably 20% of the votes are from haters who aren't using logic. I mean Minneapolis even has a vote...

Old 12-28-2018, 10:22 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,412,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia is in a unique position because it offers some of Americas best and most beautiful neighborhoods as well as some of the worst, but I do agree, there are other cities that far outdo Philadelphia's blight.

Also remember there are a lot of trolls on this board, so probably 20% of the votes are from haters who aren't using logic. I mean Minneapolis even has a vote...
I know lol Phoenix and Minneapolis. They are triflin for that.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:

You do know you can't pull the hater card in a poll of cities all with their own blight. Each no doubt has their haters and respecters .... despite their vote. Clearly Philly did not get the most votes. But clearly it has its share and warranted as it did not clear out its worst blight in previous decades. It remains till ... and thru the gentrification process till more complete.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You do know you can't pull the hater card in a poll of cities all with their own blight. Each no doubt has their haters and respecters .... despite their vote. Clearly Philly did not get the most votes. But clearly it has its share and warranted as it did not clear out its worst blight in previous decades. It remains till ... and thru the gentrification process till more complete.
I can do whatever I want. If Chicago got the most votes you would be the first one on here claiming something ridiculous.

I also never said anything to contradict Philadelphia's blight, I made a very true statement about the range of neighborhoods, and told the poster to not take the poll that seriously because a good number of the votes are either trolls or uninformed, again see the vote for Minneapolis....

Old 12-28-2018, 07:13 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
Though there is a fair amount of blight in Pittsburgh, considering the population loss, it's amazing that it's not nearly as bad as you would expect.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
I can do whatever I want. If Chicago got the most votes you would be the first one on here claiming something ridiculous.

I also never said anything to contradict Philadelphia's blight, I made a very true statement about the range of neighborhoods, and told the poster to not take the poll that seriously because a good number of the votes are either trolls or uninformed, again see the vote for Minneapolis....
Chicago go got what .. 15 and Philly 23. But Baltimore got 51 and Detroit 80.

Don't seem radical to me. We know exactly why some would vote for either city.

As for doing what you want ...... carry on.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
At least the new construction in Philly to replace blight is nice looking, in NYC it has often been extremely ugly (Fedders Houses)

Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 PM

225 posts, read 211,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Why is Minneapolis on this poll? The one vote has to be a troll vote
Yes: the person voted for all of the cities (besides one, of course).

Old 12-29-2018, 06:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of this out migration is just a result of suburbanization in those areas.

Family size actually plays a part in this, as the days of the big ethnic families in those cities are in the past.

You also had urban renewal, which occurred, while the lack of annexation didn't help make up for the difference that it made.
At least in Baltimore, the reduction is household size has been and continues to be the chief culprit in population loss. There is a chance that the number of households in 2020 will be the same as it was in 1950 when the population peaked at over 950,000. This decade, household size will decrease by another 15% to just over 2.0. It is hard for new construction to keep the population from decreasing when 4,000 new units are needed each year to make that happen. Housing production has been around or a little over 2,000 units each year - not nearly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City