Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Most Blighted Neighborhoods?
Detroit 111 62.01%
Milwaukee 12 6.70%
Chicago 18 10.06%
Cleveland 27 15.08%
St Louis 53 29.61%
Philadelphia 27 15.08%
Pittsburgh 11 6.15%
Minneapolis 3 1.68%
Memphis 29 16.20%
Louisville 7 3.91%
Bridgeport, CT 12 6.70%
Buffalo 11 6.15%
Providence 3 1.68%
Baltimore 61 34.08%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Birmingham 13 7.26%
New Orleans 23 12.85%
NYC 6 3.35%
Flint, MI 38 21.23%
Indianapolis 5 2.79%
Kansas City 4 2.23%
Houston 7 3.91%
Las Vegas 4 2.23%
Phoenix 4 2.23%
LA 8 4.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM

23,478 posts, read 44,128,490 times

Advertisements

Although it's in the poll, I'm surprised there has been no mention of New Orleans thus far. Lower Ninth Ward looks like a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Brownsville and ENY are poor and run down but not "blighted" in the truest sense. Not enough abandones properties for that to be the case
The worst neighborhoods in NYC are not even high crime relatively speaking, ENY murder rate is around ~10 per 100,000, which is technically triple of NY average. And there are no "blighted" or abandoned properties in those neighborhoods, they are simply too expensive to be abandoned. ENY houses are going for $500K-$1million in the hood. I guess the worst neighborhoods are East Tremont (BX) and Brownsville (BK) and they are not even that bad even considering nearby Newark.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,987,146 times
Parts of Baltimore look pretty bad. Gary Indiana may be the worst I've seen.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
So I'm curious with those who know LA and NYC very well, what areas come to mind that are not popular or the public knows about? In NYC, immediately I think of areas like Brownsville and East NY.
Both are very high crime and poor--but I have not visited either since the early 2000's, so I can't speak to their present state now...As for LA, I'm not super familiar outside of the more popular hoods of W Hollywood, downtown, Bev Hills, Koreatown, etc., but know Compton is the popularized urban hood with high crime, drugs, etc.
I know LA fairly well, I currently reside here. LA's blight is different than other cities. Its more of a poverty issue versus an abandoned neighborhood issue. South LA, the area along Alameda near the Blue Line Vernon stop comes to mind. Its heavily industrial and blighted. Compton is an area that once had a huge crime problem. Not really too much now nor is it really blighted other than a few buildings (although I've seen photos from the 80s and 90s and it looked really bad, like a West Coast Gary, IN). Areas East of DTLA particularly skid row and around the Greyhound station. Watts has some blighted spots. West of DTLA around Mac Arthur Park has some blight as well.

LA doesn't have the kinda of blight that you would see in Baltimore or Detroit because the cost of living is so high here and there's a lack of affordable housing. It has more of a poverty issue that you will not find in other parts of the country. Skid Row to be exact.

When I think of blighted cities, I think of areas on the East Coast as well as back home in the Midwest and parts of the South. Cities like Cincinnati, Baltimore, Camden, Gary, St Louis, Detroit, E. St Louis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, New Orleans, Birmingham, Philly, Hartford, Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland, Toledo, Flint, Dayton, Youngstown, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Wilmington, DE, Jackson, MS, Memphis, Richmond, VA, Southwest Atlanta, etc.

I've been to most of these places and they all have their fair share of blight. A Youtuber name Charlieboy313 has a channel that films blighted and crime ridden areas across the US. You'll see exactly which areas are the most blighted.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,901,088 times
Was driving in St Louis one time, took a left turn and suddenly droved thru what looked like the Apocalypse

Seen YouTube Videos of Detroit abandoned parts and they look extensive, and Houses for $10,000. haven't been to Detroit in about 10 years so can't say for sure

Know What I can say about Memphis, No Part of the City looks like it's been hit by a bomb ( please don't message me about this), Yeah Oh Yeah there are Ghetto Parts Definitely, Rundown Parts, Dirty Parts, Vacant Houses here and there But ENTIRE BLOCKS Of Abandoned Neighborhoods like you find In some cities, you just don't see in Memphis,
-If you're gonna come at me and say negatives or counter my point about the the City Provide Me with the Neighborhood or YouTube Footage of the Neighborhood you're referring to otherwise leave me alone , Don't Feel like Arguing about Memphis lol

Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,901,088 times
There are some Really Ghetto areas of Atlanta too, I was surprised by this, don't know why All cities have good and bad parts, guess I had Atlanta built up in my head, ( this was years ago)..But yeah overall, Atlanta, gleaming city but there are a couple of rough patches there

Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,936,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I haven't been to a lot of the cities on the list so I don't want to cast a vote, but of the cities I have been to, Buffalo seemed to fit the bill pretty well, as do many upstate NY cities large and small. When I lived in Atlanta, a lot of the "bad" neighborhoods didn't seem nearly as bad as the stuff I was use to. Even in NYC now, there's so much gentrification going on that it doesn't really feel as crime ridden as I'm sure it was when my parents were living there.
I've noticed too much of the state New York is troubled to a large degree. I always wondered why this is the case as New York city is pretty much the world's capital. I would have expected the surrounding area to be thriving as well to some degree.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,607,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I've noticed too much of the state New York is troubled to a large degree. I always wondered why this is the case as New York city is pretty much the world's capital. I would have expected the surrounding area to be thriving as well to some degree.
The run down cities in New York state are not within commuting distance to NYC

Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 AM

23,478 posts, read 44,128,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
There are some Really Ghetto areas of Atlanta too, I was surprised by this, don't know why All cities have good and bad parts, guess I had Atlanta built up in my head, ( this was years ago)..But yeah overall, Atlanta, gleaming city but there are a couple of rough patches there
Atlanta has nothing on some of the cities we're discussing here.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM

93,487 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The run down cities in New York state are not within commuting distance to NYC
Also, the other cities in NY have a wide range of neighborhoods. So, it isn’t all or nothing.

I’d also say that the blight varies by city. For instance, while there is some blight, Rochester actually has a very “white collar look” to much of the city. So, just like anything or everywhere else, it will vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City