Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Most Blighted Neighborhoods?
Detroit 111 62.01%
Milwaukee 12 6.70%
Chicago 18 10.06%
Cleveland 27 15.08%
St Louis 53 29.61%
Philadelphia 27 15.08%
Pittsburgh 11 6.15%
Minneapolis 3 1.68%
Memphis 29 16.20%
Louisville 7 3.91%
Bridgeport, CT 12 6.70%
Buffalo 11 6.15%
Providence 3 1.68%
Baltimore 61 34.08%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Birmingham 13 7.26%
New Orleans 23 12.85%
NYC 6 3.35%
Flint, MI 38 21.23%
Indianapolis 5 2.79%
Kansas City 4 2.23%
Houston 7 3.91%
Las Vegas 4 2.23%
Phoenix 4 2.23%
LA 8 4.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,936,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The run down cities in New York state are not within commuting distance to NYC
Yes, but Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey city are in commuting distance from NYC and they are not exactly thriving either.

It's seems to be an 'all or nothing' scenario as far as cities in some states are concerned. Not just in New York but in Illinois too for example there is Chicago and pretty much nothing else. Near the state border it gets pretty bad, for example in East St. Louis or Cairo. Just like Niagara Falls in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:39 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,608,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Yes, but Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey city are in commuting distance from NYC and they are not exactly thriving either.

It's seems to be an 'all or nothing' scenario as far as cities in some states are concerned. Not just in New York but in Illinois too for example there is Chicago and pretty much nothing else. Near the state border it gets pretty bad, for example in East St. Louis or Cairo. Just like Niagara Falls in New York.
Those places are doing just fine. Newark is the worst of the three but its property values are still going up.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,608,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, the other cities in NY have a wide range of neighborhoods. So, it isn’t all or nothing.

I’d also say that the blight varies by city. For instance, while there is some blight, Rochester actually has a very “white collar look” to much of the city. So, just like anything or everywhere else, it will vary.
Agreed.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:53 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Was driving in St Louis one time, took a left turn and suddenly droved thru what looked like the Apocalypse

Seen YouTube Videos of Detroit abandoned parts and they look extensive, and Houses for $10,000. haven't been to Detroit in about 10 years so can't say for sure

Know What I can say about Memphis, No Part of the City looks like it's been hit by a bomb ( please don't message me about this), Yeah Oh Yeah there are Ghetto Parts Definitely, Rundown Parts, Dirty Parts, Vacant Houses here and there But ENTIRE BLOCKS Of Abandoned Neighborhoods like you find In some cities, you just don't see in Memphis,
-If you're gonna come at me and say negatives or counter my point about the the City Provide Me with the Neighborhood or YouTube Footage of the Neighborhood you're referring to otherwise leave me alone , Don't Feel like Arguing about Memphis lol
Memphis is one of the most blighted cities I've seen. There are wide swaths of abandonment/poverty/doom and gloom in North and South Memphis. The Kansas/Belz/South Third area in South Memphis is full of this, Whitehaven, Airways Blvd near the airport, really on all sides of the airport you can find this. Raleigh, Frayser, come on man lol...

Memphis and Baltimore are as bad as I've ever seen...

Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Memphis is one of the most blighted cities I've seen. There are wide swaths of abandonment/poverty/doom and gloom in North and South Memphis. The Kansas/Belz/South Third area in South Memphis is full of this, Whitehaven, Airways Blvd near the airport, really on all sides of the airport you can find this. Raleigh, Frayser, come on man lol...

Memphis and Baltimore are as bad as I've ever seen...
Even poor Graceland is not immune from Memphis blight.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Tennessee.html

Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Even poor Graceland is not immune from Memphis blight.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Tennessee.html
Graceland is not in a great area, but there is actually some very livable areas close by along Millbranch, and the lesser parts are impoverished but not even close to what the worst areas of Memphis look like. I can see why someone would call it ghetto, though. But really in Memphis, as I would also say about Baltimore, there are some rough areas, then there are some true to the term ghettos that are worse than the worst areas in most cities...

Graceland has some tough areas nearby but it isn't all that bad for Memphis lol...

Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
DC, politicians are a blight of their own

Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Was driving in St Louis one time...
Okay,

I've lived in both and quite familiar with. St. Louis has run down areas just as bad as the worst that Memphis. Memphis has more bad and a higher percentage of areas I wouldn't live in.

As a city, comparing 60 sq miles (300k) to 400 or 500 sq miles (600k) of Memphis, they both have high poverty rates. Memphis may be a little higher. As a MSA, St. Louis (3 million) has a much healthier economy, population and the poverty thing and run down areas don't compare to Memphis (1.5 million).

There is no Ladue, Clayton or Central West End anywhere near Memphis to offset the bad. When people say that St Louis is one of the worst cities for blight, it's true. As far as jurisdictions go. As a metro it isn't as bad if you get what I am saying. To drive around St Louis one time and form an opinion on the livability is beyond crazy.
St Louis is not a glory land of prosperity on a national scale and is pretty average. But It is when compared to Memphis.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:46 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

Even with Niagara Falls, it’s inner neighborhoods are sketchy/abandoned in parts, but you also have outer neighborhoods like DeVeaux, Hyde Park, LaSalle and even the outer portion of Pine Avenue/Little Italy are stable to very nice areas of the city. So, it varies there as well and its school district is actually relatively decent.

A program in the city: https://www.livenf.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-16-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,086,495 times
Houston may not have as many blighted neighborhoods as a whole (although areas like the 3rd Ward definitely classify), but there are many neighborhoods with blight due to the haphazard zoning/restrictions in the city, along with the minimal infrastructure that exists in some areas. It is not unusual to see falling down houses next to $800k townhouse on a street with ditches, no sidewalks, and derelict-looking apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City