Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Most Blighted Neighborhoods?
Detroit 111 62.01%
Milwaukee 12 6.70%
Chicago 18 10.06%
Cleveland 27 15.08%
St Louis 53 29.61%
Philadelphia 27 15.08%
Pittsburgh 11 6.15%
Minneapolis 3 1.68%
Memphis 29 16.20%
Louisville 7 3.91%
Bridgeport, CT 12 6.70%
Buffalo 11 6.15%
Providence 3 1.68%
Baltimore 61 34.08%
Atlanta 9 5.03%
Birmingham 13 7.26%
New Orleans 23 12.85%
NYC 6 3.35%
Flint, MI 38 21.23%
Indianapolis 5 2.79%
Kansas City 4 2.23%
Houston 7 3.91%
Las Vegas 4 2.23%
Phoenix 4 2.23%
LA 8 4.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:56 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Yes, but Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey city are in commuting distance from NYC and they are not exactly thriving either.

It's seems to be an 'all or nothing' scenario as far as cities in some states are concerned. Not just in New York but in Illinois too for example there is Chicago and pretty much nothing else. Near the state border it gets pretty bad, for example in East St. Louis or Cairo. Just like Niagara Falls in New York.
There are plenty of cities in Illinois doing fine, including several cities in the same Metro East region as East St. Louis. The issue is that there's nothing in the state that can compare to Chicago's size and that the second largest urban area in the state are the cities that make up the Metro East, which are St. Louis' Illinois suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 03:40 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Memphis is one of the most blighted cities I've seen. There are wide swaths of abandonment/poverty/doom and gloom in North and South Memphis. The Kansas/Belz/South Third area in South Memphis is full of this, Whitehaven, Airways Blvd near the airport, really on all sides of the airport you can find this. Raleigh, Frayser, come on man lol...

Memphis and Baltimore are as bad as I've ever seen...
All those areas Are Poor and Ghetto really wouldn't include Raleigh with the others

But like The Person was talking about Areas in New York the areas you mentioned Are Poor and Run Down NOT blighted ....Yes South Third is Super poor and Ghetto but it doesn't look like a bomb hit it nor does it have ENTIRE ABANDONED NEIGHBORHOOD BLOCKS

North Memphis is the pits lol VERY run down HOWEVER even it Doesn't look like a abandoned Ghost Town �� like you would find in Detroit

Graceland is in a ghetto RUN DOWN (although gentrifying) area But Not entirely blighted as in abandoned Apocalytic Ghost town bomb hit it area

So if you're talking Memphis is Blighted because of poor RUN DOWN areas full of poor people then Yea I can see what you mean

But if you mean Blighted like entire abandoned Neighborhoods like scenes from the Walking dead or like a German City straight outta ww2 than naw, I can't vouch for that

Please don't argue with me I know what the Hell I'm talking about

MAYBE the OP needs to jump in here and give his Definition of what he means by Blighted

Blighted as in Run Down Poor Poverty Stricken areas

Or
Blighted as in Entire Blocks of Abandoned Ghost Town unkept decaying segments of a city

By the First Definition indeed Memphis is Blighted , by the Second definition Memphis isn't Blighted at all

Towns like Detroit, and What I saw in St Louis fit both definitions sorry

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 12-16-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Surprised nobody has mentioned Philadelphia. Don't get me wrong--Philly has tons of beautiful neighborhoods and is improving daily, but there is also still a good deal of blight, especially in parts of North Philly and Southwest Philly. Philly is the "City of Homes" and has block after block of tightly packed row homes--some could really use a facelift, while other blocks are so blighted there may only be 2-3rowhomes left standing.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Definitely NOT NYC and Los Angeles...

I'm pretty sure there's hipsters living in Compton and Mott Haven by now...

Old 12-17-2018, 02:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
All those areas Are Poor and Ghetto really wouldn't include Raleigh with the others

But like The Person was talking about Areas in New York the areas you mentioned Are Poor and Run Down NOT blighted ....Yes South Third is Super poor and Ghetto but it doesn't look like a bomb hit it nor does it have ENTIRE ABANDONED NEIGHBORHOOD BLOCKS

North Memphis is the pits lol VERY run down HOWEVER even it Doesn't look like a abandoned Ghost Town �� like you would find in Detroit

Graceland is in a ghetto RUN DOWN (although gentrifying) area But Not entirely blighted as in abandoned Apocalytic Ghost town bomb hit it area

So if you're talking Memphis is Blighted because of poor RUN DOWN areas full of poor people then Yea I can see what you mean

But if you mean Blighted like entire abandoned Neighborhoods like scenes from the Walking dead or like a German City straight outta ww2 than naw, I can't vouch for that

Please don't argue with me I know what the Hell I'm talking about

MAYBE the OP needs to jump in here and give his Definition of what he means by Blighted

Or
Blighted as in Entire Blocks of Abandoned Ghost Town unkept decaying segments of a city

By the First Definition indeed Memphis is Blighted , by the Second definition Memphis isn't Blighted at all

I'm arguing with you lol. You're clearly defensive of Memphis and its blinding the facts...

There are whole abandoned housing projects and apartment complexes you can see from I-40 through South and East Memphis, and there are abandoned projects on the outskirts of downtown. Boarded up, trashy, drug activity. Yes, looks like a bomb hit it...

You must don't know South Third that well, because there are areas I mentioned that look very bombed out. Even the shopping centers and strip malls in these areas have decay and boarded storefronts, graffiti, etc...

I'm not focused on what poor and ghetto is. Those are loaded terms. I'm saying that physically, there are areas in Memphis that are blighted to a higher degree than almost anywhere...

Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
New Orleans has a lot of poor neighborhoods but the actual abandonment in some areas was due to Hurricane Katrina not to economic factors like in other cities.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:33 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Baltimore's truly blighted neighborhoods (abandoned, post-apocalyptic with many streets with either boarded up rowhouses and/or vacant lots where homes once stood, in addition to high crime):

WEST SIDE

Shipley Hill
Booth-Boyd
Lexington
Franklin Square
Midtown-Edmondson
Harlem Park
Sandtown-Winchester
Upton

EAST SIDE

Johnson Square
Gay Street
Oliver
Broadway East
Milton-Montford
Collington Square
Parts of McElderry Park and Middle East

In reality, most of Baltimore's truly blighted 'hoods are inside its 19th century city limits. Those neighborhoods are almost as common as those described in the newer cities, and you'll see some of those features as you head toward the city's outer neighborhoods, where there aren't too many abandoned homes, but are still just a dangerous as the classic blighted ones. Cherry Hill, Belair-Edison, East Baltimore Midway, Lakeland, Edmonson Village/Allendale, Winchester, Central Park Heights, Coppin Heights, and parts of Waverly come to mind. And a good 50% of city limits are filled with decent to good neighborhoods that are no worse than "a little sketchy at night" shape.

I still think Detroit wins overall due to its sheer size (even Brush Park right in between Downtown/Midtown/Eastern Market qualifies), with St. Louis roughly on par with Baltimore in terms of scope of blightedness, and this includes East St. Louis. South of I-64, St. Louis is still relatively intact, and for those patches that aren't, strides at gentrification are happening.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:

Or

Now. The blight looks different in Memphis than it does in Detroit, Baltimore and St. Louis because of the level of density that the cities have or had at one point. Memphis is so much more spread out where as there maybe a block of blighted houses with only 3 or 4 ranch style houses with a couple of open fields whereas in Baltimore or St Louis may have 25 houses on the same size block. Is that what you are writing about?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:52 AM

636 posts, read 611,087 times
Was riding through the west side of Chicago recently with someone from MD...far from the worst part but definitely not an area with an abundance of Big 10 alumni...my companion remarked that it didn't look bad at all compared to Bmore.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Nooooo I'm not defensive of Memphis , F Memphis and I ain't blinding NO Fact

YOU the opposite you hating on Memphis and spitting out Half Truths

DUDE the Projects you mentioned Downtown have been torn down and I know South THIRD Very well my Grand Ma Lives Not too far FROM IT! Name Me ONE shopping center that's all boarded up on South Third ONE.

WHAT ABANDONED "PROJECTS" DO YOU SEE FROM I 40 FROM SOUTH MEMPHIS TO EAST MEMPHIS

East Memphis is THE RICHEST Part of Memphis and the part closest to upscale suburbs like Germantown and Collierville so how ARE THERE PROJECTS ON THE RICH PART OF TOWN in East Memphis

...YOU'RE GONNA SIT THERE AND SAY PROJECTS ARE IN EAST MEMPHIS NEXT TO MILLION DOLLAR HOMES AND FEDEX AND INTERNATIONAL PAPER HQ ...REALLY BRAH,... WHERE IS THIS PROJECT AT IN EAST MEMPHIS WHERE THERE OR $400,000 AND $500,000 HOMES

Don't do that , have some class about yourself

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT , YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO MEMPHIS IN YEARS TALKING LIKE THAT YOU HAVE NOT STATED ONE FACT JUST BULL S*YT HALF TRUTHS AND YOUR TAINTED OUTDATED OPINION SO YOU NEED TO TURN DOWN SON

Projects in East Memphis, that's like me telling somebody from Atlanta I saw abandoned Projects in Buckhead or in New York projects on the upper East Side or Los Angles like I saw Abandoned Projects in Bel Air

You BSing man if you wanna say you saw poor areas in Memphis than I'm with you Man....

But to make stuff up like Abandoned Projects In Booming Downtown Memphis that were torn down Years ago??

Either you don't realize how ignorant you are or have become or you haven't been to Memphis in Years

Now leave me alone stop arguing with me
Damn player, it ain't that serious. Lmao go do some pushups or take a jog somewhere, all that aggression isn't good for your health. Hahahahaha....

I was last in Memphis in summer 2017. The funeral home that handled my grandma's funeral arrangements was on Vance right across from Foote Homes, which was shuttered and blighted then, and was blighted and dangerous before they abandoned it. I'm just now seeing they demolished it. This is what it looked like before they began demolition last fall:

https://goo.gl/maps/LWDyZvhcjPJ2

I probably know Memphis better than you, so chill out, guy. If they are tearing down all of these old projects, great for Memphis. There is still plenty of blighted areas around Memphis, some streets are abandoned, some aren't. Some homes are boarded, some are not and are hollowed out and housing vagrants and crime. There are plenty examples of this and we don't have to link every street in Memphis that displays this. Sorry (actually, I'm not) if this hurts your feelings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City