Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Hartford still has a bigger economy today it’s absurd to put Richmond a tier above Hartford.
Exactly. I don’t have a dog in this fight, but Hartford is still the home of America’s insurance industry and a player on a global scale in this industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Cool Richmond a a couple more chic urban neighborhoods using that logic Providence is a tier above Charlotte.
Providence is a lot more interesting a place than Charlotte, I can tell you that much.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:02 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Providence is a lot more interesting a place than Charlotte, I can tell you that much.
I would rather live in Providence than Dallas but that doesn’t mean that Providence is the more important city.

This isn’t a relocation thread Richmond may well be a more interesting place than Hartford but interesting and important aren’t synonyms

Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
I would rather live in Providence than Dallas but that doesn’t mean that Providence is the more important city.

This isn’t a relocation thread Richmond may well be a more interesting place than Hartford but interesting and important aren’t synonyms
I didn't suggest they were. I'm just saying as a city, Providence is a lot better. Historically Providence is absolutely more "important" than Charlotte.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:46 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,778 times
I think the Raleigh area may have changed peer groups. If not then they have moved to the top of their current peer group.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I think the Raleigh area may have changed peer groups. If not then they have moved to the top of their current peer group.
Agreed Raleigh-Durham hits hard for it's size and as far as growth has remained brisk.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Hartford still has a bigger economy today it’s absurd to put Richmond a tier above Hartford.

It’s not like either has significant cultural weight like New Orleans does to put one over the other.
While I agree Richmond and Hartford are in the same tier, Richmond is clearly of a higher magnitude in said tier and distancing itself from Hartford annually. Hartford economy is less $8B larger than Richmond's, so the size differential is marginal...

What isn't marginal though, Richmond's economic growth has more than doubled Hartford's in the five years 2012-2017 (22.45% to 9.09%). Income equality is much better in Richmond, Richmond has the more vibrant and developed core by a mile--->Hartford's is very corporate in the center and surrounded by the worst poverty in New England, it is actually quite jarring to take in...

I think Hartford is a decent city, and they are in the same tier, but Richmond is pulling away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I'm not sure it has, but that's because I believe in distinguishing Raleigh from Raleigh-Durham. Raleigh is still in the same tier. Raleigh-Durham has hopped tiers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Agreed Raleigh-Durham hits hard for it's size and as far as growth has remained brisk.
Raleigh-Durham does very well economically. I wouldn't say it "hits hard", because as a metropolis it would be compared to 2-2.5 million cities. It is pulling the back of that bracket in most respects outside of higher ed and economic growth...

Old 02-26-2019, 04:14 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I think the Twin Cities have separates themselves from the KC/St Louis/Cleveland/Cincinnati Crowd.

Nashville has moved up from the Richmond, Hartford, Buffalo, Memphis tier to that tier with the aforementioned cities.

Atlanta/Dallas/Houston I think have merged with the Boston/Philly/DC tier.

Maybe a few Rust belt cities dropped a peg. Detroit fell out of that Boston/Philly/DC tier and is now in the Seattle/Minneapolis level.
All accurate.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
how is Richmond in the same tier as Hartford?
Definitely the same tier.

Hartford is difficult to gauge because it's in a continued rip of moderately high rise urbanity down thru (smaller) Middletown..New Haven.. Bridgeport.. Stamford.. and dircectly into the Bronx.

Hartford blends right into the middle of many major and smaller northeastern metros, so its easy to underestimate the portion of the population that makes up the Hartford metro.

An hour east is Providence, hour northeast is worcester, 25 min north is Springfield, 40 min to New Haven, 1:40 to Boston...

Richmond is an island, which may make it seem bigger than it is...another perspective

Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Connecticut in general just has very few redeeming qualities. There's a reason GE and Aetna left the state.

It's basically a gigantic bedroom community for NYC, having all of the negative qualities of a major east coast city (high taxes, high fees, high COL, financial problems, crappy weather, etc.) without the perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City