Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Although Columbus has not passed Cleveland or Cincinnati, one could argue that Columbus is now a very close peer metro in 2019. Their GDP's are all in a line #28Cin #29Cle and #30Cbus. All have metro populations between 2.0 and 2.2 million and each can claim an important stake in Ohio.
Possibly. But the fact remains both Cleveland and Cincinnati have been established for much, much, longer. They’ve both have had their pro teams (multiple teams) forever, and two very popular tv shows in the 70’s-80’s & 90’s-00’s with WKRP in Cincinnati & The Drew Carey Show, respectively. Not to mention many films as well.

Unless you’re from the region, a big time college football fan, follow the NHL, or the MLS maybe, not one thing comes to mind with Columbus. I don’t think it even registers with most Americans, thus making it overshadowed. In my opinion it’ll still be quite sometime before Columbus is seen the same on a national level as Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Possibly. But the fact remains both Cleveland and Cincinnati have been established for much, much, longer. They’ve both have had their pro teams (multiple teams) forever, and two very popular tv shows in the 70’s-80’s & 90’s-00’s with WKRP in Cincinnati & The Drew Carey Show, respectively. Not to mention many films as well.

Unless you’re from the region, a big time college football fan, follow the NHL, or the MLS maybe, not one thing comes to mind with Columbus. I don’t think it even registers with most Americans, thus making it overshadowed. In my opinion it’ll still be quite sometime before Columbus is seen the same on a national level as Cleveland and Cincinnati.

While I do believe the history of Cinci and Cleveland adds to them (plus Cleveland is really larger than the other two, the census leave out over a million people part of what is really Cleveland (Akron is a stones throw)) Columbus is the capital and also home to a huge and very good university, its growing pretty rapidly and adding jobs (much moreso than other parts of OH).

Columbus to me is very very very similar to Austin yet Austin is much more popular it seems

Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Richmond is getting a lot of buzz lately and popular with millennials. Hartford is still Hartford.
Hartford basically gets crowded out by NYC and Boston. Richmond is at least far enough away from NoVA to seem more independent.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are two C-D-specific problems here:

-That thing where we pretend city proper doesn’t matter. Raleigh is certainly on the same tier, when it comes to amenities, and frankly, on the lower end of the tier.

-Outsized importance placed on population. When comparing the metros, the only clear advantage Raleigh holds over Richmond is population. If you want to place Raleigh above Richmond, that’s fine, but they’re clearly on the same tier.
Raleigh has better museums, sports, restaurants, and parks. Richmond has better skyline, walkability and breweries. I don’t know enough about Richmond’s art scene to comment much beyond I’ve heard good things about it.

Last edited by Heel82; 02-27-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are two C-D-specific problems here:

-That thing where we pretend city proper doesn’t matter. Raleigh is certainly on the same tier, when it comes to amenities, and frankly, on the lower end of the tier.

-Outsized importance placed on population. When comparing the metros, the only clear advantage Raleigh holds over Richmond is population. If you want to place Raleigh above Richmond, that’s fine, but they’re clearly on the same tier.
So, here's the thing with Raleigh; it's on a completely other level when it comes to its trajectory compared to Richmond. Using current MSA boundaries, which BTW are more than twice as large for Richmond than they are for Raleigh, here's what's happened.

Richmond
1990: 901,877
2017: 1,270,746
Annual average growth rate since 2010 of 0.95%/year

Raleigh
1990: 554,031
2017: 1,335,079
Annual average growth rate since 2010 of 2.32%/year

The energy in Raleigh is palpable and is accelerating at its core. It seems that each new week there's another major DT development announcement, and growth is begetting growth. While combined with Durham, the downward adjusted CSA still tops 2M, Raleigh's MSA is carrying the bulk of the growth numbers year over year. I don't recall exactly which year that Raleigh's MSA alone passed Richmond's, but it wasn't so long ago. If we extrapolate the average growth rates this decade forward, Raleigh's probably about 100,000 larger now. In five more years, that probably becomes 200,000. So, maybe it's premature to argue about Raleigh's (alone) comparison to Richmond, but call me in 5 years and we'll talk again.

Regarding the assertion about Raleigh amenities being on the lower end of the tier, can you please explain?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Regarding the assertion about Raleigh amenities being on the lower end of the tier, can you please explain?
The burden of proof is on the guy who says Raleigh is playing a different game than Richmond "in every conceivable way", as that was the first bombshell statement made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Raleigh has better museums, sports, restaurants, and parks. Richmond has better skyline, walkability and breweries. I don’t know enough about Richmond’s art scene to comment much beyond I’ve heard good things about it.
Raleigh's museums are good. You're definitively stating Raleigh's are better, but the VMFA is a stronger museum than the NC Museum of History, which is Raleigh's premier museum. Neither are weak on the museum front, and I was pleasantly surprised at the strength of Raleigh's museum infrastructure. Richmond's museum infrastructure is both older and larger with a higher air of sophistication...

Arts and the artistic passions heavily favor Richmond. Neighborhoods heavily favor Richmond...

I'd wager that restaurants are close to a draw at worst. The restaurant scene in Raleigh isn't better...

Parks and sports sure, advantage Raleigh. You have some pretty big cojones to claim Raleigh has Richmond "in every conceivable way", that statement was f*cked as soon as you said it because it isn't even close to being accurate...

Gotta love the Triangle superiority complex hahahaha...

Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Although Columbus has not passed Cleveland or Cincinnati, one could argue that Columbus is now a very close peer metro in 2019. Their GDP's are all in a line #28Cin #29Cle and #30Cbus. All have metro populations between 2.0 and 2.2 million and each can claim an important stake in Ohio.
How far away was Columbus in 2000 and what cities were its peers then? As I understand it, Columbus has boomed during that time period compared to Cincinnati and Columbus.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

And yet it's become a top 10 fastest-growing city that has net positive domestic migration from 29 states, PR and DC. Clearly there's some national recognition. And for the record, I would suggest that even if people know Cleveland and Cincinnati more, those reputations may not be as good, particularly with Cleveland. That is not to say those cities necessarily deserve the negativity, but the stereotypes still exist.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
While I do believe the history of Cinci and Cleveland adds to them (plus Cleveland is really larger than the other two, the census leave out over a million people part of what is really Cleveland (Akron is a stones throw)) Columbus is the capital and also home to a huge and very good university, its growing pretty rapidly and adding jobs (much moreso than other parts of OH).

Columbus to me is very very very similar to Austin yet Austin is much more popular it seems
The Census doesn't leave out Akron. It just doesn't meet the standards of MSA inclusion, no matter how close it is.

Columbus grew faster as a city than Austin did 2016-2017, the most recent year available, even with Austin having much larger city limits.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How far away was Columbus in 2000 and what cities were its peers then? As I understand it, Columbus has boomed during that time period compared to Cincinnati and Columbus.
In 2000, here were the metro populations.
Cleveland: 2,148,143
Cincinnati: 1,994,830
Columbus: 1,675,013
So Columbus was 319,817 behind Cincinnati and 473,130 behind Cleveland.

In 2017, the populations were...
Cincinnati: 2,179,082
Columbus: 2,078,725
Cleveland: 2,058,844
So now the differences are that Columbus is 100,357 behind Cincinnati and 19,881 ahead of Cleveland. Between 2000 and 2017, Columbus closed the gap between Cincinnati by 219,460 and between Cleveland by 493,011.

The average annual change this decade by metro has been...
Columbus: +25,250 (Low Year: +20,502, High Year: +31,748)
Cincinnati: +9,215 (Low Year: +5,562, High Year: +13,053)
Cleveland: -2,628 (Low Year: -8,249, High Year: +1,133
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City