Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

Shakeesha, are you saying you spend the day in Louisville then drive to Cincinnati for dinner, then drive back to Louisville that night?

Or that after spending the day in the Louisville area you drive to Cincinnati where you spend the night.

Of course if you are meeting family for dinner I can understand the former.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:46 AM

CBrown, Peter will do whatever it takes to puff up Louisville. But calling Lexington (UA of 290K+) a mid-major metro is a new one on me.

I can see that Cleveland is a much larger city. Most people can.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:42 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
CBrown, Peter will do whatever it takes to puff up Louisville. But calling Lexington (UA of 290K+) a mid-major metro is a new one on me.

I can see that Cleveland is a much larger city. Most people can.
It's not though. It has a larger metro. Cleveland is a midsize city.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Shakeesha, are you saying you spend the day in Louisville then drive to Cincinnati for dinner, then drive back to Louisville that night?

Or that after spending the day in the Louisville area you drive to Cincinnati where you spend the night.

Of course if you are meeting family for dinner I can understand the former.
I have done both actually, but mostly the latter. Cincinnati is an easy day or weekend trip from Louisville and visa versa. The great thing about Louisville is that it is close to large cities.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM

227 posts, read 198,258 times
You guys just keep beating this dead horse, huh? Look, if CLE can't be compared to Detroit, Philly, etc. (which I agree with), then Louisville can't be compared to any of the other cities in this list! Period! It's tiny in comparison to Cincinnati, Indy, PIT and CLE. Both in real terms and in feel.

For example, Louisville has only 60% of the population as Cleveland in a land area with 300 sq miles more. And remember, Akron is a city of 125k (MSA of 700k) just 40 miles from CLE's downtown and ISN'T counted in CLE's MSA. Matching the same land area as Louisville MSA, Cleveland MSA would have over 3M people vs the 1.29M Louisville has.

But I'm also not sure city pop, MSA pop or CSA pop is a tell all to a cities value, likability, urbanity or anything else.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
You guys just keep beating this dead horse, huh? Look, if CLE can't be compared to Detroit, Philly, etc. (which I agree with), then Louisville can't be compared to any of the other cities in this list! Period! It's tiny in comparison to Cincinnati, Indy, PIT and CLE. Both in real terms and in feel.

For example, Louisville has only 60% of the population as Cleveland in a land area with 300 sq miles more. And remember, Akron is a city of 125k (MSA of 700k) just 40 miles from CLE's downtown and ISN'T counted in CLE's MSA. Matching the same land area as Louisville MSA, Cleveland MSA would have over 3M people vs the 1.29M Louisville has.

But I'm also not sure city pop, MSA pop or CSA pop is a tell all to a cities value, likability, urbanity or anything else.
Preach!

Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Lets look at urban areas:

Detroit 3,734,000

Cleveland 1,780,000
Pittsburgh 1,733,000
Cincinnati 1,624,000
Indianapolis 1,487,000

Louisville 972,600

But please note Akron 569,499 and Canton 279,000 are not included in the urban area for CLE.

So yes CLE feels like a peer of the other 3 (excluding Detroit) and that group of 4 are each at least 50% larger than Louisville.

Guess I said the same thing as Huey, just looking at a different chart.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Quote:

Detroit 3,734,000

Cleveland 1,780,000
Pittsburgh 1,733,000
Cincinnati 1,624,000
Indianapolis 1,487,000

Louisville 972,600

But please note Akron 569,499 and Canton 279,000 are not included in the urban area for CLE.

So yes CLE feels like a peer of the other 3 (excluding Detroit) and that group of 4 are each at least 50% larger than Louisville.

Correct. So Cleveland's urban area would be 2,628,499.

I'm unsure if Dayton's urban area of 724,091 is included in Cincinnati's urban area. If not, then the total urban area would 2,348,091.

Also please note Windsor, Ontario (276,165) which borders Detroit is not included in the urban area for Detroit which would make it 4,010,165.

If you add in Ann Arbor (306,022), the total area would be 4,316,187. In my opinion, this is the most accurate number for Metro Detroit's urban area.

There is Toledo and Flint (both 60 miles away from Detroit). However, you cannot really say its one urban area as there is still empty land between Detroit and them. Nevertheless, they are closeby.
If you were to add Toledo (507,643), then the total urban area would be 4,823,830.
If you were to add in Flint (356,218) the population goes up to 5,180,048.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:25 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:

Detroit 3,734,000

Cleveland 1,780,000
Pittsburgh 1,733,000
Cincinnati 1,624,000
Indianapolis 1,487,000

Louisville 972,600

Dude....Cleveland is MUCH closer in size ANY way you slice it to Louisville than Detroit. MUCH closer. It feels that way too. CLE and Louisville are 800k apart even in UA and Detroit is 2 MILLION bigger....but somehow CLE is similar to Detroit and not Louisville? Give me a break.

Get over yourselves Cleveland. You are a midsized city just like Louisville. Anyone looking at relocation would consider them both to be mid sized cities. Cleveland is NOT a large city compared to Louisville or any city on this list. NE Ohioans are very parochial. Some have never been outside the region except for FL and maybe the NE megalopolis their whole lives. The whole world meantime is passing them by!

Meanwhile, Louisville is growing its tourism and destination name by leaps and bounds:
https://www.whas11.com/article/money...8-1ea25f497d2c

Just yesterday a hotel chain only located in tourist districts announced a hotel opening in Louisville. Louisville has new hotels like this announced almost WEEKLY! This same hotel will never come to CLE and its why Louisville has 28 hotels under construction. Anyone who thinks Louisville is "small" is blowing smoke. Also, because of the way the southeast is developed with linear sprawl, the urban areas are artificially small and you ALL know this.

Louisville still has a larger urban area than Nashville...is there even one person (not even me) who thinks Louisville is larger than Nashville???

These cities are all very comparable. Detroit is a much bigger multi modal metro than all of them but as a weekend visit, I'd argue its the worst choice. The rest of the cities are very very comparable for a weekend traveler and from an amenities standpoint. Yes Louisville lacks pro sports but is making a run at MLS (and NBA) and is building a 200M USL soccer stadium district as we speak. Furthermore, like Ohio State in Columbus, UofL sports entertainment value is equal to any midsized city pro team....I don't even think the Q in CLE has 70 luxury suites? I'd have to check.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Dude....Cleveland is MUCH closer in size ANY way you slice it to Louisville than Detroit. MUCH closer. It feels that way too. CLE and Louisville are 800k apart even in UA and Detroit is 2 MILLION bigger....but somehow CLE is similar to Detroit and not Louisville? Give me a break.

Get over yourselves Cleveland. You are a midsized city just like Louisville. Anyone looking at relocation would consider them both to be mid sized cities. Cleveland is NOT a large city compared to Louisville or any city on this list. NE Ohioans are very parochial. Some have never been outside the region except for FL and maybe the NE megalopolis their whole lives. The whole world meantime is passing them by!

Meanwhile, Louisville is growing its tourism and destination name by leaps and bounds:
https://www.whas11.com/article/money...8-1ea25f497d2c

Just yesterday a hotel chain only located in tourist districts announced a hotel opening in Louisville. Louisville has new hotels like this announced almost WEEKLY! This same hotel will never come to CLE and its why Louisville has 28 hotels under construction. Anyone who thinks Louisville is "small" is blowing smoke. Also, because of the way the southeast is developed with linear sprawl, the urban areas are artificially small and you ALL know this.

Louisville still has a larger urban area than Nashville...is there even one person (not even me) who thinks Louisville is larger than Nashville???

These cities are all very comparable. Detroit is a much bigger multi modal metro than all of them but as a weekend visit, I'd argue its the worst choice. The rest of the cities are very very comparable for a weekend traveler and from an amenities standpoint. Yes Louisville lacks pro sports but is making a run at MLS (and NBA) and is building a 200M USL soccer stadium district as we speak. Furthermore, like Ohio State in Columbus, UofL sports entertainment value is equal to any midsized city pro team....I don't even think the Q in CLE has 70 luxury suites? I'd have to check.
I guess it’s a matter of perspective and how loose the term small and mid-sized are for different people. Certainly Cleveland is a larger urban area than Louisville and from my perspective a larger city that is in a different tier than Louisville, but where someone places the marker for different tiers is pretty loose. In regards to Detroit being a separate tier than Detroit for size/influence, yes, that’s the same issue and for me, Detroit is definitely in a separate tier from the others and Louisville is another tier down. All of these still have some good neighborhoods or areas to explore though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City