Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more famous: California or New York?
California 65 50.39%
New York 35 27.13%
It's a Tie 29 22.48%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:46 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times

Advertisements

Seems like in any photo in any country someone always has a Yankee cap on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A better poll might be which COAST is more popular:

West: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle
East: DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston
Forgot Miami

Old 05-18-2019, 08:05 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I’d say a tie. New York is Among the most famous cities in the world.

If the state of New York had a different name, I would say California. But because New York shares the name of the city, I would say it’s a tie.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Didn’t the terrorists tell us on 9/11?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Is a tough one so I'd have to say they pretty even IMO

Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
For whatever it’s worth I’m from California and my wife is from NYC so whenever we meet foreigners here in San Diego, and we meet our fair share, or travel abroad we represent both. With that said, when we’ve been in Europe, California gets much more interest than NY from the locals and foreign travelers we meet, and it’s not really that close. I’m sure some of this comes from many of them having more familiarity with NYC through the world news, and a curiosity about California because of movies/tv. I’m sure many may have traveled to NYC and not California adding to this as well. Really not sure as to why, I just know I get more questions and positive feedback.

We can split hairs with the recognizability of California vs NYC abroad all day long, but on the state level it’s no contest. Look at it this way. If you were to ask what state is NYC in you would get New York for sure, but you’d get a lot of “Uh, New York????” along with some “I don’t know”. If you were to ask what state Los Angeles or San Francisco is in you’ll always get California, at least that’s how I see it. Besides that, what else does New York State have that’s really known worldwide? Niagra falls, maybe? But I’m guessing just as many, if not more, associate it with Canada? Besides it’s major cities and Silicon Valley, Napa/Sonoma are known by anyone that has ever drank wine throughout the world. The redwood forest, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and even Death Valley, are also some of the places besides the obvious I’ve gotten plenty of inquiry about. My wife’s questions/comments began and end with NYC.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
For whatever it’s worth I’m from California and my wife is from NYC so whenever we meet foreigners here in San Diego, and we meet our fair share, or travel abroad we represent both. With that said, when we’ve been in Europe, California gets much more interest than NY from the locals and foreign travelers we meet, and it’s not really that close. I’m sure some of this comes from many of them having more familiarity with NYC through the world news, and a curiosity about California because of movies/tv. I’m sure many may have traveled to NYC and not California adding to this as well. Really not sure as to why, I just know I get more questions and positive feedback.

We can split hairs with the recognizability of California vs NYC abroad all day long, but on the state level it’s no contest. Look at it this way. If you were to ask what state is NYC in you would get New York for sure, but you’d get a lot of “Uh, New York????” along with some “I don’t know”. If you were to ask what state Los Angeles or San Francisco is in you’ll always get California, at least that’s how I see it. Besides that, what else does New York State have that’s really known worldwide? Niagra falls, maybe? But I’m guessing just as many, if not more, associate it with Canada? Besides it’s major cities and Silicon Valley, Napa/Sonoma are known by anyone that has ever drank wine throughout the world. The redwood forest, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and even Death Valley, are also some of the places besides the obvious I’ve gotten plenty of inquiry about. My wife’s questions/comments began and end with NYC.
Some of the colleges/universities in the state, perhaps the Finger Lakes(which is also a relatively known wine region) and some of the brands that have come out of the state(i.e.-Kodak, Xerox, IBM, etc.) are a few things that come to mind.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
I am a native to upstate NY and I voted that California is in fact far more famous. Allow me to explain.

California is known for being California. Its sweeping mountain vistas, its harsh deserts, its vast wine country, its rich ancient forests, its variety of coastline and beaches, and multiple large cities. Arguably Los Angeles and San Francisco are equally well known both at home and globally.

New York, despite having a grand variety of cultures, terrain, and things to do and see, is only known for New York City. NYC, NYC, NYC, NYC, NYC, it's all NYC.

Sure, you may hear talk about Niagara, Cornell, or the Adirondacks/Catskills now and again, but 95 percent of the time it's all about New York CITY.

Hell, most Americans don't even realize there's hundreds of miles of NY state north of the NYC/Jersey/Connecticut region.

California though? No such identity crisis.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
New York as a city and California as a state
Exactly. That's pretty much all there is to be said. Any reason to further debate beyond this is just trying to complicate something not worth complicating.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A better poll might be which COAST is more popular:

West: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle
East: DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston
I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City