Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more famous: California or New York?
California 65 50.39%
New York 35 27.13%
It's a Tie 29 22.48%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I am a native to upstate NY and I voted that California is in fact far more famous. Allow me to explain.

California is known for being California. Its sweeping mountain vistas, its harsh deserts, its vast wine country, its rich ancient forests, its variety of coastline and beaches, and multiple large cities. Arguably Los Angeles and San Francisco are equally well known both at home and globally.

New York, despite having a grand variety of cultures, terrain, and things to do and see, is only known for New York City. NYC, NYC, NYC, NYC, NYC, it's all NYC.

Sure, you may hear talk about Niagara, Cornell, or the Adirondacks/Catskills now and again, but 95 percent of the time it's all about New York CITY.

Hell, most Americans don't even realize there's hundreds of miles of NY state north of the NYC/Jersey/Connecticut region.

California though? No such identity crisis.
Completely true. That's also true of Chicago; people don't think of Illinois when they hear Chicago; they just think Chicago. New York though is a weird one as the city and state are named the exact same name.

Every CA city though, whether it's SD, LA, Sacramento, SF, whatever, all easily falls under the umbrella of California or "Cali" (though there's also the distinction between SoCal and NorCal). Texas is the same way as well; people from Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin would all just as fast say they're from *Texas* as they would the actual city they're from. Florida is another example.

I think at the end of the day, New York state having the only *major* city being NY is why people forget about the rest of the state. Illinois is the same exact way. But the sheer size of California, Texas, and FL and the variety of large cities they have, gives the those states a better *state* identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
True...and remember CA is 3x the size of NY state, as measured in square miles (164K to 54K)...either do a comparison of coasts, or add in MA, CT, PA, NJ (maybe down to DC) to NY for comparable geographic comparison.

Earlier NYS omission: Add in Hamptons, among other popular/famous NY state beaches (Jones Beach, Coney Island).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A better poll might be which COAST is more popular:

West: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle
East: DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston

Old 05-18-2019, 05:09 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Why, let me consult the Fame-O-Meter.

Bleep bloop bleep bloop bleep bloop bleep bloop bleep bloop buzzzzzzz.

Huh. It says 'Iowa.'

Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Completely true. That's also true of Chicago; people don't think of Illinois when they hear Chicago; they just think Chicago. New York though is a weird one as the city and state are named the exact same name.

Every CA city though, whether it's SD, LA, Sacramento, SF, whatever, all easily falls under the umbrella of California or "Cali" (though there's also the distinction between SoCal and NorCal). Texas is the same way as well; people from Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin would all just as fast say they're from *Texas* as they would the actual city they're from. Florida is another example.

I think at the end of the day, New York state having the only *major* city being NY is why people forget about the rest of the state. Illinois is the same exact way. But the sheer size of California, Texas, and FL and the variety of large cities they have, gives the those states a better *state* identity.
I'm not sure about that Florida comparison for large cities though. Florida isn't that much bigger than NY state (especially in terms of habitable area for humans), and NY definitely has a higher number of large cities.

Beyond that though, I think you're definitely onto something.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 PM

242 posts, read 174,047 times
If we're talking strictly state's than California blows New York out the water and it's not even close.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm not sure about that Florida comparison for large cities though. Florida isn't that much bigger than NY state (especially in terms of habitable area for humans), and NY definitely has a higher number of large cities.

Beyond that though, I think you're definitely onto something.
I tend to think of Miami, Tampa/St Pete, Orlando, Jacksonville, and then (to a lesser extent) Tallahassee as the nationally recognized cities in Florida. In New York though (from an outsider's perspective), I tend to only think about NYC (more than anything else obviously), Buffalo (though foreigners are unlikely to know what/where that is), and maybe Rochester and Syracuse, though I would only compare those last two cities to Tallahassee, not so much the other FL cities. Most of the larger places that are considered cities near NYC like Yonkers, I tend to just view those as being an extension of NYC.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I tend to think of Miami, Tampa/St Pete, Orlando, Jacksonville, and then (to a lesser extent) Tallahassee as the nationally recognized cities in Florida. In New York though (from an outsider's perspective), I tend to only think about NYC (more than anything else obviously), Buffalo (though foreigners are unlikely to know what/where that is), and maybe Rochester and Syracuse, though I would only compare those last two cities to Tallahassee, not so much the other FL cities. Most of the larger places that are considered cities near NYC like Yonkers, I tend to just view those as being an extension of NYC.
Ah, I gotcha.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
I’d say the city of NY is roughly as visually famous as the state of California, for whatever that is worth.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM

188 posts, read 136,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
A better poll might be which COAST is more popular:

West: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle
East: DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston
Good idea, i might make this my next poll then lol

Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
I would have to say California for two basic reasons:
1) It identity is more well rounded. Two world class cities as well as others like SD, santa Barbara, Palm Springs, beaches, mountains, Yosemite, deserts, Napa valley, pac coast highway, Big Sur, Monterey Bay, Lake Tahoe, the Redwoods, etc.

On the global level NY is basically NYC and then maybe Niagara Falls and the Hamptons. Now of course, NYS has a ton more to offer beyond those three areas . The river valleys of the Mohawk and Hudson, the mountains of the Catskills, Adirondacks, the waterfronts of the Thousands Islands, Lake Chaimplain and the Great Lakes, the hills, gorges and lakes of the Finger Lakes and WNY Chautauqua Allegany region are all spectacular. But I'm not sure how much of a global identity they have. Buffalo and Rochester aren't on par with SF or SJ.

2) California has more of a common identity: liberal, scenic, laid back, the California dream of heading west to start anew

Although obviously there are lots of regional identities:North vs South, Coast vs Inland these aren't are clearly defined as the upstate vs downstate divide. NYC arguably feels a greater cultural and geography connection to NJ, CT, Philly than Buffalo or Watertown. Similarly Buffalo probably feels closer to Cleveland. People in Roch/Buff are more likely to go to Toronto than NYC when they want the big city experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City