Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more famous: California or New York?
California 65 50.39%
New York 35 27.13%
It's a Tie 29 22.48%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I absolutely love PA. PA has so many beautiful small towns you can’t find in CA & Upstate NY
Just curious, but what are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
I absolutely love PA. PA has so many beautiful small towns you can’t find in CA & Upstate NY
I'm glad you do but I have to disagree with your assertion about those kinds of towns not also being found in upstate NY.

PA and upstate NY (downstate being more like Jersey) are nearly twins, especially in their small towns. Heck, they even contain a region called the twin tiers.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM

188 posts, read 136,538 times
Quote:
As a Californian who has traveled extensively throughout both California(NorCal+SoCal) and New York(NYC and Upstate NY)

I would say CA is overall the best state and New York State has the best city that is unparalleled by any city in any state.
But which one would you say is more famous, CA or NY/NYC?

Old 09-09-2019, 05:37 AM

127 posts, read 111,532 times
As someone who knows about your country way more than a person who has never been there should, I have always been interested about other people's perceptions about it.

Note: I'm from Zagreb, Croatia, so it is a (central) European point of view, it could be different in different parts of the world.

I've noticed that you guys on City vs City give LA way less credit than it deserves when it comes to influence and popularity. It is pretty much tied with NYC, believe it or not. After those 2, there is a huge drop. LA alone could stand against NYC and adding the rest of the state of California (easily the most popular state), makes it pretty obvious. You have SF with Silicon valley, San Diego, Death Valley, Sequoia trees...

N average person here could maybe tell 10 factual sentences about NYC and probably more than 20 about California.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM

52 posts, read 36,340 times
I think California wins this strictly because of Hollywood.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrda99 View Post
As someone who knows about your country way more than a person who has never been there should, I have always been interested about other people's perceptions about it.

Note: I'm from Zagreb, Croatia, so it is a (central) European point of view, it could be different in different parts of the world.

I've noticed that you guys on City vs City give LA way less credit than it deserves when it comes to influence and popularity. It is pretty much tied with NYC, believe it or not. After those 2, there is a huge drop. LA alone could stand against NYC and adding the rest of the state of California (easily the most popular state), makes it pretty obvious. You have SF with Silicon valley, San Diego, Death Valley, Sequoia trees...

N average person here could maybe tell 10 factual sentences about NYC and probably more than 20 about California.
Going by Google Trends, "New York" is a far more frequent search term in Croatia than "California."

Worldwide, Google trends rates the search interest for "New York" at 60 and search interest for "California" at 52.

California edges out New York domestically (50 to 46).

Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
At a state level, California.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Correct. Many people do not know New York is a state.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM

188 posts, read 136,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
So i'm hearing alot that as a state it's CA and as a city it's NYC but which one would you say has the edge
overall in terms of being famous/popular: California or NYC?

Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96West View Post
So i'm hearing alot that as a state it's CA and as a city it's NYC but which one would you say has the edge
overall in terms of being famous/popular: California or NYC?
No telling, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City