Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 01:47 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting video I watched recently regarding how some Ethiopians in the DC area identify themselves

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 02:17 PM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
I feel like the framing of this entire thread is problematic. The vibe I'm getting (just my opinion) is that there is a more positive value or weight associated with cities that have more "diverse" Black populations than those that are predominately African-American (itself a diverse ethnic group created 400 years ago).

Yes - I get the point of the thread, just wish it was matter of fact instead of coming across as trying to elevate some cities that are not as influential in the national Black zeitgeist such as Boston and Minneapolis.

What would add value to these 64 pages is much more insight about how the various communities within the Black population engage with each other and the impact of that on the respective cities (economic, political, social, elements etc) or even how it compares to cities with diverse Black populations worldwide such as Johannesburg, London, and Paris.

Signed: Respectfully - a concerned proud Black person.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I feel like the framing of this entire thread is problematic. The vibe I'm getting (just my opinion) is that there is a more positive value or weight associated with cities that have more "diverse" Black populations than those that are predominately African-American (itself a diverse ethnic group created 400 years ago).

Yes - I get the point of the thread, just wish it was matter of fact instead of coming across as trying to elevate some cities that are not as influential in the national Black zeitgeist such as Boston and Minneapolis.

What would add value to these 64 pages is much more insight about how the various communities within the Black population engage with each other and the impact of that on the respective cities (economic, political, social, elements etc) or even how it compares to cities with diverse Black populations worldwide such as Johannesburg, London, and Paris.

Signed: Respectfully - a concerned proud Black person.
The original poster was from DC and there's been a lot said on the interactions between different black ethnic groups in various cities throughout this thread so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions. I don't know why saying cities like Minneapolis and Boston have diverse black populations is so offensive to so many posters. It's simply a fact.

What exactly are you concerned about?

Old 12-29-2022, 02:41 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ethiopians in DC felt way more separate than immigrant groups in Boston save for like Dominicans but even then Dominicans seems to intermarry and mix with other black groups more than Ethiopians/Eritreans.

The Somalis in Boston feel much more untuned to the larger black (I won’t even say AA culture in Boston) than Ethiopians in DC who have really large numbers and seem to think of themselves as occupying a higher class status. That higher class status gives them the autonomy to not “need” other blacks (I think)

I think tharts why 908s gf never had Ethiopian food until just now.
Well see I've never been to Boston to compare. I can only speak on the cities I've been to.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
TBH i don't think Ethiopians have a higher class status than AAs in the DMV. They're business owners but they're not exactly the most educated or wealthiest. Many have poor English skills and lack college degrees. Whereas most other black immigrants in the DMV have high proficiency or are native in English. Within the black community, the highest class are definitely AAs and Nigerians.

I do think their tight knit community/business/churches means they don't need to associate much with other groups.

and frankly, Ethiopian food is hit or miss to me. The best spot I've been to unfortunately closed (Queen of Sheba in DC) but I have had bad Ethiopian food as well. If anyone has suggestions, preferably in DC, i'm all ears lol.

Makes sense. Theres less AAs in VA and MoCo so less pressure to assimilate.
Yea hence why I said “they think”. But at the same time they’re not really down in inner PG and wards 7/8 maybe a scenario of lower highs and higher lows.. idk I didn’t talk to them much.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Well see I've never been to Boston to compare. I can only speak on the cities I've been to.
I was just saying my observations since we were talking about it.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The original poster was from DC and there's been a lot said on the interactions between different black ethnic groups in various cities throughout this thread so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusions. I don't know why saying cities like Minneapolis and Boston have diverse black populations is so offensive to so many posters. It's simply a fact.

What exactly are you concerned about?
We know why.. you know why. *smirk*

The “zeitgeist” of the black boule and pecking order. It’s that and peoples insecurities about the value placed on Black American culture.

And we know it’s insecurity because no one said “best black people/smartest black peolle/most intelligent black people/best cities for black people”

Had new haven been in the position of Providence there would be no “concern” about “elevating” certain cities.

Also- I’m gonna look more into New London, Worcester, and North Jersey/“Downstate” NY cities just to get some better facts/information on those cities. I really actually want to know how much of the black diversity of the NYC MSA is strictly in NYC.

I’m interested in other New England cities, the ones I named because I know some smaller balck communtieis like Pittsfield and Springfield are very heavily AA.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-31-2022 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2023, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 1,349 times
Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, New York City, Washington D.C.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:23 PM

Greater Boston now has the largest share of foreign-born Black residents in the US

Boston indicators estimate there are 193,666 black people in Boston:

92,655 black residents are born in Massachusetts. This is an all-time high

70,057 black residents are foreign in Massachusetts. This is an all-time high, an increase from ~49,000 in 2010.

17,936 black residents are born in non-Southern States. This is an all-time high.

13,018 black residents are born in the southern states. This is the lowest # since 1940. That number peaked at 32,300 in 1980.

2020 was the first census where blacks from States there than the South, outnumber Southern black in Massachusetts. Just 1.9% of Boston is made up of black people born in the Southern United States. 28.8% of Boston is comprised of black people.

Greater Boston’s Black population actually increasing, not dropping, new report says

The report’s researchers say their findings differ from past studies, specifically those that found a net loss of Black residents in Boston, because those reports largely recognize only people who identify as Black only. The new report also includes Afro Latinos who might select both Black and Latino or Hispanic origins on federal census questionnaires, as well as people who choose Black in combination with other racial or ethnic groups.

The researchers say all people who identify as Black, including Black Latinos and those who also identify with other races and ethnicities, should be counted to truly understand the growth of the community and culture.

“Those data distinctions can make the difference between telling a story of a Black population decline or a Black population increase,” said Luc Schuster, executive director of Boston Indicators, who coauthored the report in partnership with the Boston Foundation and Embrace Boston. The report is slated to be presented at an event at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Roxbury Community College Media Arts Center.

“There’re so many questions and issues and implications for how we study the Black community and race in Massachusetts,” said James Jennings, professor emeritus of urban and environmental policy and planning at Tufts University, and coauthor of the report.

He added, “People have been making policy and all kinds of decisions without really acknowledging or understanding how the Black population has changed. . . . There are some political implications that might unfold as we get a sense of what this data means down the road.”

Boston’s Black population has come a long way from its beginnings as a small mix of freedmen and enslaved residents, the report says. During the first half of the 20th century, Black families fleeing Jim Crow during the Great Migration and others leaving the West Indies for better opportunity settled in Boston neighborhoods such as Roxbury, Dorchester, and the South End.

In 1980, more than three-quarters of Greater Boston’s Black population lived within Boston city limits. That number dropped to 36 percent in 2020, and 64 percent of Black residents in the area now live in the suburbs, the report stated, citing census figures.

Many of the people driving the growth in the Black population identify as Afro Latinos, multiracial, and multiethnic, the report found.

Overall in the city of Boston, the # of Black people born in other states continues to decrease slowly since 2000 and the number of Blacks born in Massachusetts and abroad continues to increase. In the year 2000 Boston had about 155,000 blacks in it. 20% of whom were born in other US states. By 2020 Boston had 194,000 black in it- 15.5% of whom were born in other US States.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-06-2023 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-06-2023, 06:16 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natteal View Post
Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, New York City, Washington D.C.
Is Houston's black population more diverse than DFW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City