Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 11:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea it’s safe to say the dynamics of black diversity in ATL are totally different than Hartford or Minneapolis.

It can only be included in tier 2 in the same way DC is but DC is still much more diverse than Atlantas black population- on paper. Atlanta is really only viable through sheer scale. I have merry many Jamaicans from Atlanta and even a black Columbia .that being said those people tend to be more assimilated than what you would find in the northeast. However I’m sure Atlanta is full of Black events for the diaspora and Jamaican -‘d Nigerian spots in suburban strip mall developments.

The immigrants in the Northeast and Minne are probably more a mix of FOB, 2nd Gen, and assimilated. And generally have deeper roots in the black community (in NYC/BOS/Miami idk if that’s true for MPLS)
In my experience the West Africans and Kenyans in Minneapolis tend to assimilate into ADOS culture. The Ethiopians are more neutral. Some identify more with ADOS culture, some assimilate more into the local white culture. Somalis kinda remind me of Dominicans in a way. The first and second generation Somalis are heavily influenced by ADOS culture but they are very proud of their Somali culture and consider themselves separate from other black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 11:38 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:
The irony is we drew this conclusion by page ~3

Your tie ring is on point and really there’s a huge gap between tier 2 and 3.

And really- Atlanta is really tier 3 but we can give it tier 2 just based on sheer size and bellyaching from people who want it to be Tier 1, lol….

And really the gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is pretty sizable too but not as big as the gap between 2 and 3.

Like DC and Hartford feel substantially less black diverse than NYC-PVD-BOS. But the thing is you can still feel some significant diversity in Hartford and large portions of the DMV. In Hartford- it’s a pretty non AA but it’s mostly all Jamaican with Jamaicans playing a similar role to Somalis in Twin Cities. In DC there is a ton of diversity of the non AA groups but the AAs are still 85%. So in some ways it’s the inverse of Hartford’s “approach” to black diversity.

Portland Oregon is probably tier 2 or 3

Funnily enough you have some places in Western MA like Pittsfield and Springfield that I would put down in tier 3 (Springfield) or Tier 4 (Pittsfield/Amherst).
I can see the argument for Atlanta being Tier 2 but I do think size elevates it and it feels more diverse than the Tier 3 metros.

Pew estimates 190k Black Immigrants in the Atlanta area with a high growth rate.

Georgia has one of the highest black immigrant populations outside of the Northeast and Florida as well.

Maybe it should be Tier 2b lol

Old 12-29-2022, 11:42 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
In my experience the West Africans and Kenyans in Minneapolis tend to assimilate into ADOS culture. The Ethiopians are more neutral. Some identify more with ADOS culture, some assimilate more into the local white culture. Somalis kinda remind me of Dominicans in a way. The first and second generation Somalis are heavily influenced by ADOS culture but they are very proud of their Somali culture and consider themselves separate from other black people.
That's pretty much the same dynamics I've noticed in other cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. When I was in D.C. and LA it felt like Ethiopians and Eritreans assimilated more with AA's than any other city I've been to in America.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I do not see ATL being in tier-2. That's too generous lol. I think a point we have to consider is the cultural impact these non-ADOS people have on the culture of the city. ATL has almost no cultural influence from any black groups that aren't AA compared to the rest of tier-2 and tier-1.
Measuring cultural impact can be tricky because even within Tier 1 and 2, you can debate whether there's been much of a cultural impact by x group on the cities' culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That's pretty much the same dynamics I've noticed in other cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. When I was in D.C. and LA it felt like Ethiopians and Eritreans assimilated more with AA's than any other city I've been to in America.
That's funny as I find that Ethiopians kind of do their own thing in the DC area, especially the ones born in Ethiopia. When I lived in Virginia there was a clear difference between the Ethiopian Americans and the Ethiopians in how they acted/dressed/talked etc.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:07 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Measuring cultural impact can be tricky because even within Tier 1 and 2, you can debate whether there's been much of a cultural impact by x group on the cities' culture.

That's funny as I find that Ethiopians kind of do their own thing in the DC area, especially the ones born in Ethiopia. When I lived in Virginia there was a clear difference between the Ethiopian Americans and the Ethiopians in how they acted/dressed/talked etc.
I guess what I mean by cultural impact is political impact and familiarity. Most people in Minneapolis are familiar with certain foods and customs of the different foreign black groups. Foreign black people play a large role in the politics of the city. I'm not sure if most AAs in ATL are all that familiar with the different foods and customs of Jamaican culture for example and the foreign black population in ATL play less of a role in the politics of the city

Old 12-29-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I guess what I mean by cultural impact is political impact and familiarity. Most people in Minneapolis are familiar with certain foods and customs of the different foreign black groups. Foreign black people play a large role in the politics of the city. I'm not sure if most AAs in ATL are all that familiar with the different foods and customs of Jamaican culture for example and the foreign black population in ATL play less of a role in the politics of the city
That sounds right but for other cities it might be difficult to measure. Like DC for example. the local culture is very much dominated by African American culture but there's very large African and Caribbean populations and they have representation in politics, real estate, music, food etc. But a lot of black people here don't consume African culture/food/etc. My AA gf is born and raised in DC/PG and had never had Ethiopian food until we met and Ethios certainly have a big presence in DC. So depending on the city it may be difficult to really measure cultural impact.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:20 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
I can see the argument for Atlanta being Tier 2 but I do think size elevates it and it feels more diverse than the Tier 3 metros.

Pew estimates 190k Black Immigrants in the Atlanta area with a high growth rate.

Georgia has one of the highest black immigrant populations outside of the Northeast and Florida as well.

Maybe it should be Tier 2b lol
I it’s not purely tier 2 because it’s literally more AA than the US as a whole on average. DC would be a better example of tier 2 in a large black population. When going that route. But it’ll definitely be tier 2 by 2030 so I guess it doesn’t matter. I just think Atlanta yea is so culturally AA as city. That like it’s identity and what it’s known for.

Most of the Tier 2/Tier 1 cities have a ‘signature’ group outside of AAs.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:34 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ethiopians in DC felt way more separate than immigrant groups in Boston save for like Dominicans but even then Dominicans seems to intermarry and mix with other black groups more than Ethiopians/Eritreans.

The Somalis in Boston feel much more untuned to the larger black (I won’t even say AA culture in Boston) than Ethiopians in DC who have really large numbers and seem to think of themselves as occupying a higher class status. That higher class status gives them the autonomy to not “need” other blacks (I think)

I think tharts why 908s gf never had Ethiopian food until just now.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-29-2022 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-29-2022, 12:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

The Ethiopians in VA and Montgomery County stick to themselves. The ones in the city assimilate.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Ethiopians in DC felt way more separate than immigrant groups in Boston save for like Dominicans but even then Dominicans seems to intermarry and mix with other black groups more than Ethiopians/Eritreans.

The Somalis in Boston feel much more untuned to the larger black (I won’t even say AA culture in Boston) than Ethiopians in DC who have really large numbers and seem to think of themselves as occupying a higher class status. That higher class status gives them the autonomy to not “need” other blacks (I think)

I think tharts why 908s gf never had Ethiopian food until just now.
TBH i don't think Ethiopians have a higher class status than AAs in the DMV. They're business owners but they're not exactly the most educated or wealthiest. Many have poor English skills and lack college degrees. Whereas most other black immigrants in the DMV have high proficiency or are native in English. Within the black community, the highest class are definitely AAs and Nigerians.

I do think their tight knit community/business/churches means they don't need to associate much with other groups.

and frankly, Ethiopian food is hit or miss to me. The best spot I've been to unfortunately closed (Queen of Sheba in DC) but I have had bad Ethiopian food as well. If anyone has suggestions, preferably in DC, i'm all ears lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Ethiopians in VA and Montgomery County stick to themselves. The ones in the city assimilate.
Makes sense. Theres less AAs in VA and MoCo so less pressure to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City