Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2022, 02:08 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It depends. Beyonce is light skinned with "good hair" and she's black to the vast majority of the ADOS community. Same with Nicki Minaj. It's understood that black people come in all types of shades and features. A lot of East Africans have "good hair" but aren't considered mixed.
Does Beyonce have good hair? Does she not use chemicals as an adult? I looked at her pictures as a baby and I would think she has Indian in her family based on the hair type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 02:13 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Does Beyonce have good hair? Does she not use chemicals?
Her natural hair is not kinky and neither is Solange's. Nicki Minaj's hair isn't kinky either. One of my first cousins is 100% ados with brown skin and she has loose curly hair. It's really not that uncommon in admixed black people.

Old 10-16-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Her natural hair is not kinky and neither is Solange's. Nicki Minaj's hair isn't kinky either. One of my first cousins is 100% ados with brown skin and she has loose curly hair. It's really not that uncommon in admixed black people.
Well, to be light skinned, you probably have something else pretty close in your linage. Beyonce has two light skinned parents doesn’t she? I’m sure people asked her if she had Indian in her family growing up looking at her hair as a child.

What point are you trying to make? I don’t know where this is going.

Old 10-16-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Well, to be light skinned, you probably have something else pretty close in your linage. Beyonce has two light skinned parents doesn’t she? I’m sure people asked her if she had Indian in her family growing up looking at her hair as a child.

What don't you understand? You implied that someone that is mostly black can claim mixed if they want to. But that doesn't change the fact that if you look mostly black in America, you are black regardless of what you identify as. Most Cape Verdeans in America would be recognized as black in America. The argument of racial purity doesn't make sense in America.

Old 10-16-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
What don't you understand? You implied that someone that is mostly black can claim mixed if they want to. But that doesn't change the fact that if you look mostly black in America, you are black regardless of what you identify as. Most Cape Verdeans in America would be recognized as black in America. The argument of racial purity doesn't make sense in America.
Actually, I said anyone can claim anything they want in the census. If you’re dark skinned you can claim mixed race. If you are White, you can claim mixed race. It’s a choice regardless of what your DNA is.

As for how you look in America, I already posted the One Drop Rule. I was the first to post it in this thread.

Old 10-16-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, I said anyone can claim anything they want in the census. If you’re dark skinned you can claim mixed race. If you are White, you can claim mixed race. It’s a choice regardless of what your DNA is.

As for how you look in America, I already posted the One Drop Rule. I was the first to post it in this thread.
I guess I was just confused on your argument because you originally stated that Cape Verdeans were mixed like Morrocans.

Old 10-16-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I guess I was just confused on your argument because you originally stated that Cape Verdeans were mixed like Morrocans.
Well, that is going to start an entirely new discussion because people in the Middle East aren’t White either even though the census claims they are. Where do you think that color comes from? Almost everyone in the world with color has Black in them somewhere in their linage even if it’s thousands of years ago.

Y Chromosome Study Suggests Asians, Too, Came from Africa

Old 10-16-2022, 03:38 PM

This is something everyone should read. Really interesting!

New gene variants reveal the evolution of human skin color

I began this debate saying culture mattered more than skin tone, but BostonBorn argued me down. If these articles don’t prove that we should be talking about culture instead of skin tone, I don’t know what to tell you. Our culture is what makes us unique, not our skin tone.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:39 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coola426 View Post
Which cities in the US have the most diverse black populations?I am from the DMV area and we have a very diverse black population. We have a large and affluent African-American population, the largest African immigrant population by proportion in the states and also a large Afro-Carribean community. I would say other cities that come close with a good balance of all three are NYC, Boston and Atlanta. Although Houston and Miami also have diverse black populations, you don't see a large carribean presence in Houston or a large African presence in Miami.

So which cities in America have the largest and most diverse/international black populations?
Going back to the original post, which this is, is all of this even true?

Old 10-17-2022, 10:26 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:

I don't even know why I'm entertaining this since this thread has derailed completely from the original topic. It's C-D so it's to be expected but are we really discussing "good hair" and complexions now?

But anyway, I'll entertain this right here even though I probably shouldn't.

These are Beyonce's parents:

As you can see her Mother clearly contributes to a large percentage of Beyonce's European admixture.

Beyonce Dad was born in Alabama, Her Mother was born in Galveston. Beyonce Mother's family comes from South Louisiana.

This is literally Beyonce Family tree on her Mother's side:

Because New Orleans and South Louisiana were under Spanish and French rule it followed a caste system like many Spanish colonies throughout Latin America. New Orleans/ South Louisiana mirrored those colonies so you were able to have a "buffer" class of Louisiana Creole people. Now Louisiana Creole people for a long period of time rarely married outside of Creole people. It wasn't till probably the late 50's to early 60's where marriage outside of Creole people was even commonly accepted. Hell around that time more Creole people started fully identifying as Black and that's probably more so in Southeast Texas and New Orleans. A lot of Creole people in rural Louisiana probably still self identify as being Creole not Black or White. As you can see from her Mother's family tree, Tina Knowles married a non Creole Man. Many people with Louisiana Creole roots in Southeast Texas probably have more African admixture on average than those in rural towns in South Louisiana since they're more likely to marry outside of Creole people.

Hell there's even a name for Creole people here in Southeast Texas. If you ever hear the word "Jolivette" they're talking about Louisiana Creole people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City