Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 08:14 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I kinda don't see all African Americans being this one monolithic group.

It's like saying all central Americans are the same. Of all Asians are the same.

Yeah, a mix of foreign blacks would be more diverse but on the other hand I wouldn't say that blacks from Jacksonville and Portland are similar.

I would also have to add some critical mass component
to the picture. There's no way you are going to convince me that Minneapolis has a more diverse black population than Atlanta. Not happening.
well by that logic we would have to do that to every race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 09:05 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
well by that logic we would have to do that to every race.
We already do. Just not for AA's.
Are yall saying that Uyghurs are exactly the same as every other Chinese group? Countries such as China, Russia, US, Brazil, Canada, Mexico are large and have varried cultures even though they may share the same skin color.

A black person from Brooklyn is totally different from one from Black Gullah very different cultures, different food, different speech and that is no different from comparing someone from Sudan and from Ethiopia.

Anyway, idk why yall still trying.
Atlanta, DC, Miami, New York...Yes
MSP???... Definitely not.
And I am unanimous on that

This isn't the tallest midget contest.
The census says Minneapolis is over 60% non Hispanic white https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/mi...scityminnesota that's neither here nor there. Still the whitest top 25 city. More than places like OKC and Indianapolis. For the anchor of a top 15 metro that's really weak.

Again there is not enough there there for MSP to be in the discussion. And no, Redlionjr rephrasing does not resonate with me. He is correct that black people share a common cultural experience, but everyone does. Slavery was a negative cultural experience that still affects AA today. Slavery affected white pepple positively and that is still being felt today. So by that logic an AA and a Congolese should be counted as the same because societal stereotypes will affect them the same way.
I agree with somethings Red says and disagree when he is wrong. Like in this case. His experiences are his and mine are mine. Just because Aas went through slavery doesn't mean that they are suddenly all the same. With the exception of probably Ethiopia all countries in Africa experienced slavery. The Caribbean, South and Central American blacks and through slavery are they all the same? If yall think so the yall must be living in some bubble.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:29 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
We already had this discussion a few pages ago. We may have exhausted this topic.

Here's my final answer by metro (no particular order within tiers).
Tier 1 (most diverse black pop): NYC, Miami, Boston, Providence
Tier 2 (pretty diverse): Twin Cities, DC, Atlanta, Orlando, Seattle, Hartford
Tier 3(diversifying to varying degrees but overwhelmingly AA dominated): Philly, Houston, Dallas, Baltimore, Columbus, LA, Chicago
Tier 4: every other metro's black pop is AA dominated.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
We already do. Just not for AA's.
Are yall saying that Uyghurs are exactly the same as every other Chinese group? Countries such as China, Russia, US, Brazil, Canada, Mexico are large and have varried cultures even though they may share the same skin color.

A black person from Brooklyn is totally different from one from Black Gullah very different cultures, different food, different speech and that is no different from comparing someone from Sudan and from Ethiopia.

Anyway, idk why yall still trying.
Atlanta, DC, Miami, New York...Yes
MSP???... Definitely not.
And I am unanimous on that

This isn't the tallest midget contest.
The census says Minneapolis is over 60% non Hispanic white https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/mi...scityminnesota that's neither here nor there. Still the whitest top 25 city. More than places like OKC and Indianapolis. For the anchor of a top 15 metro that's really weak.

Again there is not enough there there for MSP to be in the discussion. And no, Redlionjr rephrasing does not resonate with me. He is correct that black people share a common cultural experience, but everyone does. Slavery was a negative cultural experience that still affects AA today. Slavery affected white pepple positively and that is still being felt today. So by that logic an AA and a Congolese should be counted as the same because societal stereotypes will affect them the same way.
I agree with somethings Red says and disagree when he is wrong. Like in this case. His experiences are his and mine are mine. Just because Aas went through slavery doesn't mean that they are suddenly all the same. With the exception of probably Ethiopia all countries in Africa experienced slavery. The Caribbean, South and Central American blacks and through slavery are they all the same? If yall think so the yall must be living in some bubble.
You're really coming across as ignorant. I have met black people from ATL who moved to Minneapolis and other Midwestern cities who noticed how varied the black population is. According to the census, the non Hispanic white population in Minneapolis is 60% and 51% for St. Paul. I went to an all black school in Minneapolis that had black people of all ethnicities. My teacher was Liberian, there were Jamaican, Somali, AA, and biracial teachers. The principal and owner of the school was African American. The students were just as diverse. Outside of the northeast and Miami, where can you find this type of black diversity? And what does Minneapolis being 60% white have to do with the 20% black population's diversity?

According to https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events...20-Census.aspx the blackest cities (Black alone) in the Twin Cities metro from least to greatest is:

Minneapolis at 18.9%
Columbia Heights at 21.4%
New Hope at 21.9%
Brooklyn Center at 27.6%
Brooklyn Park at 29.2%

Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center are basically extensions of North Minneapolis which is over 50% black.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 12-29-2022 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 09:39 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
It's not an exaggeration. The city of Minneapolis has a more diverse black population than Atlanta. Add in St. Paul and it's not even close. Not sure why you're bringing metro areas into the conversation.
I'm not understanding the pushback Minneapolis is getting vs. any other city.

Minny is 18.9% Black. Miami is only 16% black. But no one would say Miami doesn't have black people.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:21 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't think Critical Mass works because some of the blackest places have some of te most unified cultures and politics. I found that out very quickly.

African Americans are all from the same country. People in Belize and Honduras are not. Obviously, people from Kazakhstan and Japan are much more different than Tyrone from Portland and Tyronn from Jacksonville. How different are they really?

Speaking as an African American myself. One with family in Atlanta.
Yes, I agree with you. Afro-Americans are their own ethnicity and should be respected as such. Not every black person in America is ethnically or culturally "American". Meaning that being a Afro-American does not simply mean you are phenotypically black and currently live in America. It is a unique culture, history, and lineage that makes you an Afro-American.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:22 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
We already had this discussion a few pages ago. We may have exhausted this topic.

Here's my final answer by metro (no particular order within tiers).
Tier 1 (most diverse black pop): NYC, Miami, Boston, Providence
Tier 2 (pretty diverse): Twin Cities, DC, Atlanta, Orlando, Seattle, Hartford
Tier 3(diversifying to varying degrees but overwhelmingly AA dominated): Philly, Houston, Dallas, Baltimore, Columbus, LA, Chicago
Tier 4: every other metro's black pop is AA dominated.
The irony is we drew this conclusion by page ~3

Your tie ring is on point and really there’s a huge gap between tier 2 and 3.

And really- Atlanta is really tier 3 but we can give it tier 2 just based on sheer size and bellyaching from people who want it to be Tier 1, lol….

And really the gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is pretty sizable too but not as big as the gap between 2 and 3.

Like DC and Hartford feel substantially less black diverse than NYC-PVD-BOS. But the thing is you can still feel some significant diversity in Hartford and large portions of the DMV. In Hartford- it’s a pretty non AA but it’s mostly all Jamaican with Jamaicans playing a similar role to Somalis in Twin Cities. In DC there is a ton of diversity of the non AA groups but the AAs are still 85%. So in some ways it’s the inverse of Hartford’s “approach” to black diversity.

Portland Oregon is probably tier 2 or 3

Funnily enough you have some places in Western MA like Pittsfield and Springfield that I would put down in tier 3 (Springfield) or Tier 4 (Pittsfield/Amherst).

Old 12-29-2022, 10:39 AM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
I do not see ATL being in tier-2. That's too generous lol. I think a point we have to consider is the cultural impact these non-ADOS people have on the culture of the city. ATL has almost no cultural influence from any black groups that aren't AA compared to the rest of tier-2 and tier-1.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I do not see ATL being in tier-2. That's too generous lol. I think a point we have to consider is the cultural impact these non-ADOS people have on the culture of the city. ATL has almost no cultural influence from any black groups that aren't AA compared to the rest of tier-2 and tier-1.
Yea it’s safe to say the dynamics of black diversity in ATL are totally different than Hartford or Minneapolis.

It can only be included in tier 2 in the same way DC is but DC is still much more diverse than Atlantas black population- on paper. Atlanta is really only viable through sheer scale. I have merry many Jamaicans from Atlanta and even a black Columbia .that being said those people tend to be more assimilated than what you would find in the northeast. However I’m sure Atlanta is full of Black events for the diaspora and Jamaican -‘d Nigerian spots in suburban strip mall developments.

The immigrants in the Northeast and Minne are probably more a mix of FOB, 2nd Gen, and assimilated. And generally have deeper roots in the black community (in NYC/BOS/Miami idk if that’s true for MPLS)

Old 12-29-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yes, I agree with you. Afro-Americans are their own ethnicity and should be respected as such. Not every black person in America is ethnically or culturally "American". Meaning that being a Afro-American does not simply mean you are phenotypically black and currently live in America. It is a unique culture, history, and lineage that makes you an Afro-American.
I’m laughing aloud because im thinking back to a few pages ago people from DC and ATL tried to call me a race traitor to ADOS Black Americans for making these points. bizzare thread at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City