Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2022, 07:53 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Then, why are we counting Cape Verdeans? Aren't they mixed?
cap-vert reminds me of brazil. the portuguese obviously had no problem mixing with their slaves. the result is some are isolated with african ancestry; and; some are isolated with european ancestry; but, most are mixed with generations of afro-euro ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 08:43 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
cap-vert reminds me of brazil. the portuguese obviously had no problem mixing with their slaves. the result is some are isolated with african ancestry; and; some are isolated with european ancestry; but, most are mixed with generations of afro-euro ancestry.
Sort of of but Cape Verde lacks white identifying people.

In Cape Verde only 1% of people identify as white. In Brazil its 47%.

In Cape Verde 28% of people identify as balck compared to 7% in Brazil.

In Cape Verde 71% of the population identifies as mixed, in Brazil it’s 43%.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sort of of but Cape Verde lacks white identifying people.

In Cape Verde only 1% of people identify as white. In Brazil its 47%.

In Cape Verde 28% of people identify as balck compared to 7% in Brazil.

In Cape Verde 71% of the population identifies as mixed, in Brazil it’s 43%.
Huh? I though Cape Verdeans were Black? You’re all over the place. Why give me such a hard time?

Old 10-16-2022, 11:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Huh? I though Cape Verdeans were Black? You’re all over the place. Why give me such a hard time?
I wouldn't be surprised if most of those CVs identifying as mixed are mostly black though. I have seen Dominicans who took a DNA test and they're 70% black still prefer to identify as mixed instead of black.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if most of those CVs identifying as mixed are mostly black though. I have seen Dominicans who took a DNA test and they're 70% black still prefer to identify as mixed instead of black.
For the 100th time, they can identify as whatever they want. I said that from the very beginning. I only mentioned that they were mixed-race. I’m trying to understand what world you guys live in where you see someone and don’t ask yourself whether they are mixed. This is especially true in the Black community. You see someone and say to yourself, they are mixed whether Black and White, Black and Asian, or Black and Latino. It’s pretty normal to do this.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
For the 100th time, they can identify as whatever they want. I said that from the very beginning. I only mentioned that they were mixed-race. I’m trying to understand what world you guys live in where you see someone and don’t ask yourself whether they are mixed. This is especially true in the Black community. You see someone and say to yourself, they are mixed whether Black and White, Black and Asian, or Black and Latino. It’s pretty normal to do this.
My point is that there are a lot of Beyonces and Rihannas in these countries identifying as mixed. In America this is black regardless of how they personally identify themselves.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
My point is that there are a lot of Beyonces and Rihannas in these countries identifying as mixed. In America this is black regardless of how they personally identify themselves.
I said that already and so did people from Cape Verde. America is the only country in the world with the “One Drop Rule” which was a tool used for White supremacy.

Also, don’t confuse light skin with mixed. Light skin people don’t have the same features as mixed people. This is especially true when looking at their hair texture. All the light skin Black girls and guys I know have the same hair texture as darker Black people.

Quote:
I think you need to read up on Cape Verdean. Their history is not the same as Black Americans. They are recent immigrants to this country with a different history and slavery and mixing for them was different than the Black Americans experience. Did you ever ask yourself why they don’t look like Black Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, etc. etc. etc. that would be considered not mixed race?

Race and Identity Among Cape Verdean and Afro-Brazilian Americans

The Civil Rights Era. Jim Crow Laws. The One-Drop Rule. These were all foreign concepts to my grandparents. The concept of race is clearly defined in the United States. After slavery, anyone who possessed one drop of African blood was considered to be Black (Davis, 1991). However, racial identification is less distinct in Cape Verde. Most Cape Verdeans are of mixed African and European ancestry (Sawe, 2018). Cape Verde was virtually an “uninhabited island” in the early 1400s. Around 1450, Portuguese and Genoese explorers colonized Cape Verde due to its proximity to West Africa. The Portuguese kidnapped and bought West Africans, bringing them to Cape Verde (Shaw, 2021). During the 1536 Inquisition in Portugal, newly converted Christians were suspected to be practicing Islam and Judaism instead of Christianity. They were forced to either submit to the government or flee. Along with the Jewish and Muslims, Portuguese prisoners were exiled to Cape Verde and called lançados (throw-aways or outsiders). This accounts for the heavy racial mixing of the Portuguese with enslaved North and West Africans to “whiten the population” (Shaw, 2021).”

Have you read this?

How the “One Drop Rule” Became a Tool of White Supremacy

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-16-2022 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I said that already and so did people from Cape Verde. America is the only country in the world with the “One Drop Rule” which was a tool used for White supremacy.

Also, don’t confuse light skin with mixed. Light skin people don’t have the same features as mixed people. This is especially true when looking at their hair texture. All the light skin Black girls and guys I know have the same hair texture as darker Black people.
What's the difference between lightskinned and mixed to you? In America, if you haven't had a full white ancestor for many generations regardless of admixture, you're black and would just be considered light skinned. There are black people who are 80%+ black and have looser curls, light eyes and lighter skin like Tyra Banks. And then there are people like Condoleezza Rice who is genetically 50% black who noone would consider mixed.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...1Y2021.B16005B

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...5Y2020.B16005B

Out of 1.476M blacks in the DMV 84.5% of them speak only English..

Out of 368K blacks in Greater Boston, 58.9% of them speak only English..

Attachment 239820

Attachment 239821

Where do you think you're going to come across more variation in speakers in your everyday life?

You don't wanna be academic unless it suits you. But from an academic and practical POV the answer is obvious. The black diversity of Dc would be valid like it s in NYC if it weren't so overwhelmingly dominated by one group. Also- to take from your book of 'DC is diverse despite being 85% Black American...there are still many languages spoken in Boston by black people but in lesser numbers than in DC, just because they don't pop up in a top 10 list or whatevr doesn't mean they arent there. But moving along...a much higher share of Boston black are multilingual or non-native English speakers. Like 3x higher.

Even if you took Haitians, Black Americans, Dominicans, and Cape Verdeans it still wouldn't be 85% of Boston's black population.nevermind they speak 4 different languages. I don't get why that's hard for you to understand. I mean I do..but still, wow. The dissonance.
I speak fluent Spanish dude. I am Black American and in the DMV. I am not counted these totals. Which makes this whole post irrelevant, as quantifying this to an exact amount is nearly impossible. Once again there MORE people speaking MORE languages that are Black in the DMV area than the Boston area.

Old 10-16-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What's the difference between lightskinned and mixed to you? In America, if you haven't had a full white ancestor for many generations regardless of admixture, you're black and would just be considered light skinned. There are black people who are 80%+ black and have looser curls, light eyes and lighter skin like Tyra Banks. And then there are people like Condoleezza Rice who is genetically 50% black who noone would consider mixed.
Don’t confuse chemicals used to alter natural hair with how their hair would be naturally. Using relaxers straightens their hair, but the people we’re talking about like many of those from Cape Verde in the videos BostonBorn posted don’t need a relaxer. Is this not your experience throughout your life when you have come in contact with mixed people? It’s where the ignorant saying “she has good hair” originated in the Black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City